Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Might build a home...full time RV in the interim

Hey everyone,

So we are looking at building a house but that wouldn't be without some interesting decisions.

We have 3 kids and 2 dogs. We are considering full timing until it's complete and then use the 5er for our family vacations. Something like a north point is what we are thinking.

I am looking for people's thoughts on this...the RV mainly. Were we are looking there is an RV site where we could full time without a problem. No apartments that accept our pets/bed rooms for the kids. Even if they had to bunk up which isn't a problem, we would be still limited by the animals.

Anyway let's hear it. The good the bad and the ugly of making a decision like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

We are in the middle of doing this in our 29.5 BHDS. Admittedly it's for a shorter period of time than you would probably looking at to build a house, but I vote that it's do-able.

We sold our house in early February for a cash offer we couldn't refuse. We finally just closed on the new house this past Friday but won't be able to move in for a week or 2, so all in we will have lived in the 5th wheel for 2 months with 2 kids, 2 dogs and a cat. We are parked at my parents house so we have 30a power and water, but no black water dumping capability (I just dump the grey out in the hay field) so we use my parents bathroom and a porta-potty right outside the trailer. We still cook, shower, etc in the trailer. It has worked, but it's obviously cramped with a family. A north point would of course be a bit roomier. I say go for it if you can find a good park to full time in. Nothing like close quarters for some good old family bonding, plus you'll enjoy the new house that much more when it's ready!

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
We are in the middle of doing this in our 29.5 BHDS. Admittedly it's for a shorter period of time than you would probably looking at to build a house, but I vote that it's do-able.

We sold our house in early February for a cash offer we couldn't refuse. We finally just closed on the new house this past Friday but won't be able to move in for a week or 2, so all in we will have lived in the 5th wheel for 2 months with 2 kids, 2 dogs and a cat. We are parked at my parents house so we have 30a power and water, but no black water dumping capability (I just dump the grey out in the hay field) so we use my parents bathroom and a porta-potty right outside the trailer. We still cook, shower, etc in the trailer. It has worked, but it's obviously cramped with a family. A north point would of course be a bit roomier. I say go for it if you can find a good park to full time in. Nothing like close quarters for some good old family bonding, plus you'll enjoy the new house that much more when it's ready!

Thanks so much for your input. I really am thinking hard about it.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

The Northpoint will hold up to a family as well as any other but I would suggest to go as big as your can tow. Our 377rlbh is a big bunkhouse but not sure where to put 3 young'uns even though it will sleep 9. May be cramped should be doable and I would try to get a full hookup spot so you can use your facilities.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #5

So something I haven't thought of was buying the lot and laying the slabs right away to include the RV site. Run full hook ups to it (50amp included) and stay on the land I would be paying for anyway. That way the dogs can have their space as well. Build the house then the RV garage last.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtEmaxChvy View Post
So something I haven't thought of was buying the lot and laying the slabs right away to include the RV site. Run full hook ups to it (50amp included) and stay on the land I would be paying for anyway. That way the dogs can have their space as well. Build the house then the RV garage last.

This is what I just got finished doing for a customer. I suggested we build his RV pad first so he could live on site while we built his house. He didn't build a barn but the water, electric and sewer (when we finally installed the septic) were all there.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

That sounds like a plan! Then you could live in it and watch your house being built with no additional park fees for the 5er.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #8

Tom, Crabman, thanks for the input. I am starting to think it's more and more feasible. Also I am thinking about foregoing the NorthPoint and following in what @Repacs0103 was saying.

I wonder what I would have to do to get the HT full time rated?

PS I purchased the new greasable shackles that many of you have recommended.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:

I think this would be a great way to do it. How old are the kids? This is prolly the best timed the year to do something like this as summer is coming and it would allow more outside time...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I think this would be a great way to do it. How old are the kids? This is prolly the best timed the year to do something like this as summer is coming and it would allow more outside time...

Under 10

And I agree. Maybe set up the slide and swing set we want to get them as well.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Tom, Crabman, thanks for the input. I am starting to think it's more and more feasible. Also I am thinking about foregoing the NorthPoint and following in what @Repacs0103 was saying.

I wonder what I would have to do to get the HT full time rated?

PS I purchased the new greasable shackles that many of you have recommended.

There are folks that fulltime in Jayflights so don`t see why it could not be done. Not sure where you are building but extended extreme cold could be an issue if you are not in the house by next Winter.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Under 10

And I agree. Maybe set up the slide and swing set we want to get them as well.

Mine are 12 and younger and I know they would enjoy it. I could see it being hard with very young ones as they do cry from time to time and it would disturb everyone in such a small space.

Maybe a small shed too for storage, bikes and toys and I think you got it... or maybe build the RV garage first and then you got storage and a place to stretch out when it rains lol...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #13

It would prolong the life of the 5er too

Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #14

My brother and sister-in-law bought a travel trailer and lived in it while they house hunted. They moved cross-country and lived in a campground until they found their house. The kids loved it.

I would suggest you go the route of building the RV pad and getting set up at home as well. My kids would love it.

We bought our TT to live out of during our huge remodel this summer. We are cutting our current kitchen off and putting on a huge addition.
wed100105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #15

Be sure to check the zoning regulations for your area to be sure you will be permitted to do so.