Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #2961

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Mods to 377 RLBH?

As fulltimers, I’ll admit I’m a propane miser, and I’m just reluctant to use the shower at full throttle (app 1.1 gpm@50 psi) trying to conserve expenses. Not so with the DW, she enjoys the hi setting all the time. And with tankless, it heats only when used.

At this time of year for two people, it’s one 30 lb tank/mo, not using the furnace. I’m guessing that’s pretty good. During summer, one tank/2 mos. I’ve no experience with the 10 gal factory tank water heater propane expenses, as we changed it out in week one for the Truma. I’m sure most use the electric setting vs propane as electric is paid for in the RV site.

There are trade offs and variables (number of people in the camper vs how long each shower) when considering switching between tank and tankless water heaters when staying at RV parks-short term vs long term(electric rates apply). It at .17/kWh, long term for us while in AZ, bit us hard the first month in Jan. using only fireplace and one space heater to heat. So electric rates vs propane rates is the challenge at hand while living fulltime in an RV, all the while loving hot water.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #2962

Darin

Since we’re only part-time, recreational campers, we don’t have to worry about things like that. However, I too am a propane miser (not sure why). In fact, our 2 propane tanks lasted about 2 years. But, we don’t cook inside with propane (never did even before cooktop swap), we always use electric for the water heater, and try to use the heat pump and fireplace as much as possible. We haven’t camped much in sub 40 degree weather. Just lucky Mother Nature has been nice to us. So, if I were to switch to a propane only tankless water heater, I don’t think it would be deal breaker. I still have to remind my kids they need to take a shower [emoji23]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #2963

That’s excellent propane mileage, Tom! Even for the amount of camping you’ve done so far. Yes, you gotta tell them kids to bathe. With two extra water jets, they may can get cleaned faster? Ha! Or they’ll stay in there longer!

So did your rig came with a heat pump, or did you install?
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 12-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #2964

It came with the heat pump. We love it.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #2965

Oh darn, we missed that option somehow.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #2966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
It came with the heat pump. We love it.
Ditto on the heat pump as well we love it. Believe it or not it is 23 degrees out right now and I am using the heat pump and fireplace and thermostat is reading 70 degrees. I know it is not really useful below 40 degrees but seems to be working well so far. Over night the temp inside will drop to like 65 and the furnace will fire up but only happens 2 or 3 times a night. I also have ceiling fan going ok opposite direction to blow heat down from ceiling.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:03 PM   #2967

Mods to 377 RLBH?

I added some cheap back up lights to the trailer. Got the lights on clearance from Wally World. Need to hook up the truck so DW can take a picture at night.

Guess it didn’t happen without a pic [emoji23]

Edit. Here’s the picture Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2393.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	46161

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2394.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	46162

Old 12-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #2968

After I installed these, I bought another set (Amazon) to aim the other way at the tires. It’s hard to see where the wheels are at night. I think it would help to see them and behind the trailer.
I still haven’t got around to installing them yet.
I also have one of my upfitter switches to shut off the truck reverse lights to get rid of the blinding glare.
Attached Thumbnails
068B0562-E622-4EB9-B3A9-9BDE9CE865FF.jpeg  
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #2969

Klassic

I plan on doing something similar except I’ll have the lights in front of the tires pointing to the rear.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #2970

I did that backup light mod too. I use a 4-channel wireless remote keyfob to turn them on. I can do left front, right front or the rear pair or all. I use them as utility lights as well. That's why I didn't want to wire them to the backup circuit. Also if cutting a tight corner at night I can just hit the keyfob remote to turn on what lights I need to see. I keep the keyfob on the camper key and that attached to my main set of keys. So I always have the fob remote.

I used led flood lights from Amazon. The front ones point near the wheels and out. Rear ones point outward as well. Can't see directly behind trailer so pointing the rear lights straight isn't any help.

We tend to show up after dark often, so this mod has really helped. Also using them for utility lights has been a good benefit. Like when swapping out a LP tank at night before bed while using the genset.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #2971

That’s a great idea Earl.
I would be good to use your mod while driving through some campgrounds that have tight lanes and corners...keeping an eye that the trailer is where you think it is.

I ran mine off the path once, because I couldn’t see the wheels at the edge, and tilted the top of the trailer side into a cut branch. It wasn’t easy getting out more damage.

How far front are your front lights?
Right at the front of the frame pointing back and slightly out?
Old 12-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #2972

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
That’s a great idea Earl.
I would be good to use your mod while driving through some campgrounds that have tight lanes and corners...keeping an eye that the trailer is where you think it is.

I ran mine off the path once, because I couldn’t see the wheels at the edge, and tilted the top of the trailer side into a cut branch. It wasn’t easy getting out more damage.

How far front are your front lights?
Right at the front of the frame pointing back and slightly out?
I will try to get some pics tonight. My trailer is an Eagle. 2017 Eagle 293RKDS. So the framing and LP tank stuff is probably different. I mounted my front lights on the framework for the LP tanks. That's is far out as I could get them without fabing up brackets. I have them aimed downward and outward to light up the wheels and outward. I can see the wheels and the ground around it. No more thinking you're on gravel and find out it's grass and you're way out of the site when you thought you had it perfect in the dark. Lol

Earl
Old 12-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #2973

Klassic.

Here’s a video of a guy that did the same thing.

https://youtu.be/lVYhRPEQiTY

Old 12-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #2974

Quote:
Klassic.

Here’s a video of a guy that did the same thing.

https://youtu.be/lVYhRPEQiTY
I put my lights as far forward as I could to get more spread.

Earl
Old 12-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #2975

I did a similar led flood light install on mine. I put two forward of the wheels so I can see where they are and two aft of the wheels so I can see where I am going. I used an RF switch with a 4 button fob each light works independently. So I can turn them on at any time to see what I need. We rarely get any place before dark, so I use them all the time. I found that I had to add a switch in front of the RF switch so I can turn the power off to the switch. I found that any RF device would turn them on anywhere. It was a real problem at jelly stone with all the golf carts running around. I would turn them off and they were back on. I had to disconnect the RF switch from the battery. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2980.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	46193
Old 12-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #2976

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsacco View Post
I did a similar led flood light install on mine. I put two forward of the wheels so I can see where they are and two aft of the wheels so I can see where I am going. I used an RF switch with a 4 button fob each light works independently. So I can turn them on at any time to see what I need. We rarely get any place before dark, so I use them all the time. I found that I had to add a switch in front of the RF switch so I can turn the power off to the switch. I found that any RF device would turn them on anywhere. It was a real problem at jelly stone with all the golf carts running around. I would turn them off and they were back on. I had to disconnect the RF switch from the battery. Attachment 46193
Yes..I would want more light on the wheels so I could see them.
I’m going to look into this remote setup.
I would like to just flick an upfitter switch in the truck to turn them on when needed.
I like my backup lights hooked to the reverse lights of the truck so anyone coming behind me in the day will see I am backing up.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
Old 12-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #2977

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Yes..I would want more light on the wheels so I could see them.

I’m going to look into this remote setup.

I would like to just flick an upfitter switch in the truck to turn them on when needed.

I like my backup lights hooked to the reverse lights of the truck so anyone coming behind me in the day will see I am backing up.

On my previous trailer I had them hooked to the backup lights. The problem I had is that they were only on when I was backing. I found that I also needed light when I would pull forward to reposition and did not have that option. With the RF fob setup the lights are independent of the TV. I can unhook and have them on while I’m setting up or whenever I need additional light. When I’m done I just hit the switch on the front of the trailer to turn off the RF switch.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #2978

I know I'm WAY behind the curve, but I ordered the JT Strong-arms today from Amazon with the gift card I got from my mother.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #2979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I know I'm WAY behind the curve, but I ordered the JT Strong-arms today from Amazon with the gift card I got from my mother.

Awesome Dan! Now you can take down the sign...

“If the trailers a rockin’, don’t bother knockin “
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Old 12-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #2980

Quote:
Awesome Dan! Now you can take down the sign...

“If the trailers a rockin’, don’t bother knockin “
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
But that's my favorite sign....and trust me, it doesn't get used as often as I like!!!
LOL!!