Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

MORryde pin box + autoslide hitch vs Airborne Sidewinder + standard hitch on Ram 2500

Would you recommend a MOR/ryde pin box + an autoslide hitch, or an Airborne Sidewinder + standard hitch for this vehicle combo:

• Tow Vehicle = 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab, Short Bed, CTD, 4x4, Factory Rear Air Suspension, without 5th Wheel Prep
  • Fifth Wheel = 2017 Eagle HT 29.5FBDS

I have read through the threads regarding hitches and regarding nose high condition, and unfortunately remain a bit confused. I would appreciate any advice you might offer.

I am planning to buy an in-stock Eagle HT 29.5FBDS. It has a standard pin box and 15” wheels and tires.

I don’t currently have a fifth wheel hitch. I am planning to get a hitch and new pinbox and tires at the time of purchase. I want to make sure I get something that works well and does not exacerbate the nose high condition that others have mentioned with the height of ¾ ton trucks in general, and Ram 2500 4x4’s specifically.

With that said, what are your thoughts on MORryde pinbox + an autoslide hitch vs. an Airborne Sidewinder + a standard hitch on a Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 short bed?

Would one solution or the other minimize the nose high condition?

What considerations will I face given that I don’t have the 5th wheel prep?

Thank you very much.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:58 AM   #2

I have a mor-ryde with a Pullrite slider. TV is a 2013 Ram 3500 pulling a 351 RSTS. I like the set up but is does ride a couple of inches high. No issues though and hauls just fine. You can see in the photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0058.jpg  
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #3

One other thing. Don't worry if you don't have the fifth wheel prep. You can just have installed the old style in box rails. That's what we have and again no problems.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #4

Hi, I'm new to fifth wheel camping as well and poised the same question. I did add the morryde pin box to my Eagle HT RLTS 27.5 unit. Camping world included my sliding Curt fifthwheel hitch and I am satisfied.
GraftonGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

I have a MorRyde pin box and a Demco Hijacker Autoslide (which is height adjustable). This combo works great for me. I can go 90 degrees + which allows me to put the 5er in tight spots with ease.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #6

I have the Mor-ryde and the pullrite superglide as well. I have had no issues. I have been 90 degrees with no problems.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #7

Thank you very much for the feedback above! Appreciate it
Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #8

Will the Airborne Sidewinder push the nose higher than the standard pin box?
Old 11-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #9

Our Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS came with a Mor-ryde. The dealer was a Demco retailer so that is what we went with, a Demco Hijacker Autoslide18k. So far it has worked as expected.

2010 Ford F-250 XLT (traded)
2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK (traded)
ArcticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

IMHO......you probably don't need a slider hitch. I have a standard hitch in my 2500 Ram CTD 4x4 and have not come close to needing a slider. You are going to run nose high with that combination. Before you sign the deal, make sure your dealer knows you want the truck and FW as level as they can get it before you sign on the dotted line.

Adjusting the spring hangers, helps about 1 1/2". 16" wheels and tires help another 1" to 1 1/2". I still run a little nose high, but it's as good as it going to get without adding a sub frame to raise the FW up another 2". I'm told if I do that then I void my frame and suspension warranty, so I'll just wait until the warranty expires and make that change if needed. As it is right now, it tows fine, but I've only got about 1,000 miles under my belt so far.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #11

I think the slider will be a personal choice on your part. I have Ram 2500 and B&W manual slider. I haven't had a need to slide the hitch...YET! But I look at it as having peace of mind that I do have the option if I ever needed it. I've made some pretty sharp turns maneuvering the 5er...probably pretty close to 90 degrees. I have the mega-cab configuration on my TV.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
IMHO......you probably don't need a slider hitch. I have a standard hitch in my 2500 Ram CTD 4x4 and have not come close to needing a slider. You are going to run nose high with that combination. Before you sign the deal, make sure your dealer knows you want the truck and FW as level as they can get it before you sign on the dotted line.

Adjusting the spring hangers, helps about 1 1/2". 16" wheels and tires help another 1" to 1 1/2". I still run a little nose high, but it's as good as it going to get without adding a sub frame to raise the FW up another 2". I'm told if I do that then I void my frame and suspension warranty, so I'll just wait until the warranty expires and make that change if needed. As it is right now, it tows fine, but I've only got about 1,000 miles under my belt so far.
Thank you for the break down on the effect of the different changes. I've talked with the dealer and they are planning to adjust height as needed (I assume with the spring hangers). Unfortunately they won't exchange 15" for 16" wheels at time of purchase, so I need to do that on my own afterward and the dealer won't be able to see that when they do the adjustment at delivery.

This is a tough one. I've heard from a few people that a slider isn't needed. I would be glad to skip it for simplicity and for saving money. However, I've read a few posts from people who damaged the cab or broke a window without the slider, and I don't want to accidentally do that.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:59 PM   #13

Get a slider. One day in a campground far far away, you will thank me....
Old 11-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Get a slider. One day in a campground far far away, you will thank me....
Thank you now!

Did you need to change anything for your 17.5" wheel upgrade? Do you know if those will fit in an HT?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #15

Before you make a final decision on an auto slide vs. sidewinder I have one question, how often if ever do you use your truck to haul things? I use my truck all the time for picking up a load of compost, rock, fill dirt, monthly trash runs to the landfill etc. so I prefer my sidewinder with my Rese Titan 16k which allows me to remove the head and then the body of the hitch with no issues or any other assistance to free up my bed.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #16

I've heard from Jayco that they do something different with the frame when they install the Reese Revolution as a factory option, and that you can't or shouldn't change to the Revolution/Sidewinder if it didn't come that way from the factory.

Selling dealer carries Pullrite, so I am leaning toward a Pullrite Superglide 16k with industry standard rail.

I would rather have something lighter and able to leave the bed clean, but it seems this is the way things are leading.

I'll try it with the standard pin box for now, then determine if I want to change that to a MORryde cushioned pin box.

Thanks again for all of the insight.