Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #21

There's that switching device up near the living room stereo , in the cabinet to the left, that switches between aux and sat (I think...)

It might be a long shot, but did you switch that over? It's a push button next to the coax connector.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 AM   #22

Perfect, there's a Home Depot a block from my campground, I'll pick this up tonight on my way home! Thanks Rustysocket
seansbass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
There's that switching device up near the living room stereo , in the cabinet to the left, that switches between aux and sat (I think...)

It might be a long shot, but did you switch that over? It's a push button next to the coax connector.

I just want to make sure were all on the same page and calling the inputs the same thing.

On the docking station you will have three inputs. Sat, Cable, and Aux. The wiring for the Sat and Aux inputs are the only ones you need to use. They really should be labelled Sat 1 and Sat 2 and are individual runs of Coax from the docking station to the Living Room and to the Master Bedroom specifically for Sattelite installations, These runs are independent of each other.

The Cable input on the docking station runs throughout the rig and is what get the cable signal to the booster behind the living room television. In addition if your remove that booster you will also see that the OTA (over the air antenna) is also connected to the back of the booster. There is a switch on the booster that allows you to turn the amplifier section on for OTA signal and off for Cable signal. These runs of coax do have splitters and deliver that signal throughout the trailer.

Where it gets kind of confusing is the panel in the bedroom has a place for cable/ota and sattelite. Even though they come out of the same panel they are independent runs.

Don't get yourself confused trying to wire in the OTA/Cable wiring into the Sattelite wiring, it needs to remain separate and none of those wires are connected to your swm splitter.

The wire tracing tool was a huge timesaver because even though my guy had done lots of these systems and was able to step me through the logical portion of the install in my head having positive verification that we were on the right coax.

I don't know if it came up but I am using HDMI to go from the sat receiver to the Television.

We did take a small tv into the passthrough and verified that the system was working before we began connecting up to the trailer wiring.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #24

So, I called Jayco today to tell them about some warranty work I'm going to need done and I asked him for the diagram of the coax cables. He very happily sent them to me! Really friendly people, unfortunately they put a nice little disclaimer on their e-mail pretty much saying these are for you only unless we literally tell you they can be public. An easy way to get them is to email them at Service@jayco.com .

They support exactly what Rustysocket is saying, the 'Sat' connection literally just goes directly to the living room TV as its own branch, there are no splitters whatsoever on that line. The 'AUX' goes to a three way splitter to the Bedroom TV and the Passthrough Hookup, then a two way splitter off the third branch going to the Loft and the Den.

This doesn't explain why the living room receiver isn't working, because it is getting direct feed from the Travler. I have a spare TV I'm planning on using in the passthrough that I can Test the connection coming from the Travler. I really hope its not that coax because its already Dicor'd down under the cable cover! I'll post an update tonight or in the morning.
seansbass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #25

Did you have your power inserter plugged in and connected and also the deadhead resistors in place on the swm splitter?
Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #26

As I recall, all ends of the coax runs after the SWM splitter have to be capped with a 75 ohm terminator as well. I don't have my instructions in front of me, but maybe check that.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Did you have your power inserter plugged in and connected and also the deadhead resistors in place on the swm splitter?
Beat me to it!
Old 10-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #28

Yes, then I disconnected the splitter altogether. I went straight to the satellite feed going to the living room. After 1hr on the phone and 2 receivers I have nothing. He gave me a number to Directv's RV department. I'm too infuriated and panicked at the same time to call them. So after hanging up with him and putting everything back in the undercarriage for the night, I decide to climb on the roof and make sure everything is hooked up still. It is, but I have a roof emergency now!!!!

So when I drilled through the roof to run the wires, I hit a AC duct. I didn't think to much of it since the dicor should seal it. It did, but now the condensation is under the rubber roof!!! I'm kinda freaking out since I can't do anything about it until tomorrow evening and the family is here so it's got to stay on in this Texas heat. I have no idea how they can fix the duct without literally taking the ceiling out in a section of the bathroom. Yup, I'm pretty much over the dish right now, totally wish I would have paid the $800 or whatever it would have costed for a professional at this point.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbass1 View Post
Yes, then I disconnected the splitter altogether. I went straight to the satellite feed going to the living room. After 1hr on the phone and 2 receivers I have nothing. He gave me a number to Directv's RV department. I'm too infuriated and panicked at the same time to call them. So after hanging up with him and putting everything back in the undercarriage for the night, I decide to climb on the roof and make sure everything is hooked up still. It is, but I have a roof emergency now!!!!

So when I drilled through the roof to run the wires, I hit a AC duct. I didn't think to much of it since the dicor should seal it. It did, but now the condensation is under the rubber roof!!! I'm kinda freaking out since I can't do anything about it until tomorrow evening and the family is here so it's got to stay on in this Texas heat. I have no idea how they can fix the duct without literally taking the ceiling out in a section of the bathroom. Yup, I'm pretty much over the dish right now, totally wish I would have paid the $800 or whatever it would have costed for a professional at this point.
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear all that! I wouldn't have thought the condensation would work its way upward under the roof. No chance it's a leak from the top down? That'd be an easier fix I think. Keep us posted!

My wife keeps telling me to have ours professionally installed, and this has me debating it! I'm also contemplating mounting it on a dolly somehow and pulling it out and anchoring it down when I want to use it. It'd also make it possible to tailgate with it separately from the RV. I think I'm more worried about it disappearing in the middle of the night!

Old 10-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #30

I will. I'm going to call a RV repair place tomorrow and get them to take a look. It's just the Texas heat and the cold AC. It hasn't rained so it HAS to be from the condensation. I'm literally almost 2 feet from parallel with the AC vent in line with the Bunk and the bathroom. I have no idea what the hell the duct was doing over there. Does anybody know of comprehensive coverage covers DIY screw ups?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #31

So I got the roof fixed today, great technician came out and fixed it all today in about 2 hours. He just pulled off the hole cover and somehow "sleeved" the cables through the duct. He said he's been doing this for 37 years and never seen somebody do that before! Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.... Great technician though! Anyway directv won't come out and check their receivers or SWM adapter unless I take the RV home, because they are so anti RV it's not even funny. So I was recommended to try and find a local Directv technician that will do it off the clock from the guy who fixed my roof mistake. That's the plan tomorrow, along with a coax tester I bought at Home Depot and the Tracer that Rustysocket recommended, just to make sure the wire isn't the problem.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #32

What model receivers are you using?
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

We use dish older models from home work good I can get models tomorrow units due create heat rob power compared to newervip211c don't know about power draw nor have I tried using one was going to ask service guy in truck if there was I diff
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #34

Quote:
So I got the roof fixed today, great technician came out and fixed it all today in about 2 hours. He just pulled off the hole cover and somehow "sleeved" the cables through the duct. He said he's been doing this for 37 years and never seen somebody do that before! Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.... Great technician though! Anyway directv won't come out and check their receivers or SWM adapter unless I take the RV home, because they are so anti RV it's not even funny. So I was recommended to try and find a local Directv technician that will do it off the clock from the guy who fixed my roof mistake. That's the plan tomorrow, along with a coax tester I bought at Home Depot and the Tracer that Rustysocket recommended, just to make sure the wire isn't the problem.
Make sure your receivers are on this list:

H24, HR24, H23, HR23, H22, HR22, H21, HR21, H20, HR20, D12, R16, R22, H25, HR34 with C31, H44, HR54, C51, C61K, HR44 with C41

DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas for RV, Camping, Tailgating
Old 10-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Make sure your receivers are on this list:

H24, HR24, H23, HR23, H22, HR22, H21, HR21, H20, HR20, D12, R16, R22, H25, HR34 with C31, H44, HR54, C51, C61K, HR44 with C41

DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas for RV, Camping, Tailgating
I tried both the HR23 and HR24. My carryout had no problem working before in my last rig. The only mobile satellite company here in houston can't get to me until late next week. If I don't find a faulty cable or wrong routing tonight then it has to be something in the satellite itself. Fingers crossed it's just bad cable routing on jayco's part and I'll untangle it tonight!
Old 10-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #36

For my solar panel install I emailed Jayco CS and they sent me the roof drawings showing truss locations and ductwork. I used those to mount my panels so they landed on trusses.

If you need to know where things are under the roof membrane then it's good info to have.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
For my solar panel install I emailed Jayco CS and they sent me the roof drawings showing truss locations and ductwork. I used those to mount my panels so they landed on trusses.

If you need to know where things are under the roof membrane then it's good info to have.
Lived and learned! But I also learned yesterday that you can't believe everything Jayco sends you. I have been fighting this 'Searching for satellite(771)' error on my dish for 4 days now after work because jayco's wiring diagram was 100% false!! The cable from my 'Sat' hookup in the docking station was a direct line like it said, but to the passthrough storage connection not the living room "Main TV"!! It also illustrates a 3-way splitter down to a two way splitter like I mentioned in a earlier post, but its actually just a 5 way splitter right off the docking station from the 'Aux' Port. For $30 at home depot I bought me a coax tracing tool that Rustybucket recommended earlier. LIFE SAVING DEVICE. I disconnected all the coax's from the 'Aux' and 'Sat' docking station hookups, and this is how mine were labebled from the factory

Sat Hookup in
Living Room - Orange Electrical tape
Den/Kids Room - Green Electrical Tape
Bedroom - Grey Coax, No Tape
Loft - Red Electrical Tape
Passthrough Storage - Black Coax, No Tape

Like I said, the black unmarked coax was the one that was designated to the living room according to the wiring diagram that Jayco sent me, which explains why I didn't get a lick of reception at all while wasting a total of 3 hours of my after work free time talking/yelling/arguing/crying to Directv that it wasn't my dish malfunctioning. Also, Directv told me to hook up the sat hookup to 'Sat 2', which was wrong. On both my HR23 and HR24, the hookup goes to 'Sat1 (SWM)'. Hopefully this helps anybody else trying to keep their sanity while installing this Directv Travler unit on their 377RLBH.

-Drill 2" toward the Road Side of the rig @ bathroom vent piping.
-Make sure to have a LONG hole saw to reach through about 6" of insulation and obstructions into the cabinet above the toilet.
-Three screws in the top of cabinet above the toilet open the panel for you to access the wires and run them along the vent.
-If you don't have 30lb fishing line and a small weight laying around invest in a wire snake to run wires!!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #38

Really glad you got this sorted out. Now time to enjoy🖒

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #39

Quote:
-Drill 2" toward the Road Side of the rig @ bathroom vent piping.
-Make sure to have a LONG hole saw to reach through about 6" of insulation and obstructions into the cabinet above the toilet.
-Three screws in the top of cabinet above the toilet open the panel for you to access the wires and run them along the vent.
-If you don't have 30lb fishing line and a small weight laying around invest in a wire snake to run wires!!

Working this part right now to get my solar feed to the basement

I drilled a hole in line with the vent (frt-back) and off to the curb side. I snaked a wire down to the basement and tried to pull the welding cable up and it disconnected when I got to the ceiling. Then I pulled a Cat5 cable to use as a small pull wire and it got through. Using an insection camera I discovered that the hole the vent goes thru is too small to fit the welding cable. Now I have to try to open up a gap beside the vent to get the wires thru. I did look at the inner cabinet panel and a rear panel was removable. I'll look at the side panel again to see if I can remove that to cut the ceiling hole larger.

Edit: removed the side panel and used a hole saw to make an opening beside the vent pipe. Solar feed on the roof now. The shelves were stapled on the edges so I'll just have to air nail them back into place.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #40

So here I am, 6 months after starting this thread and about to install my Trav'ler. Glad this info is here to revisit! For those who've posted their installs, and those watching from afar, any new advice?

One issue with my location I've chosen is the close proximity to one of my A/C units. Has anybody had electrical interference with their installs? It doesn't mention that in the manual that I could see, only physical clearance. Opinions?