Originally Posted by JetTech
I'm thinking of mounting mine more towards the back of my North Point due to clearance of things on my roof, but worry about the slope of the roof. How did you go about having a custom fit wedge made to level your setup?
Good question, not sure how good I am at explaining that. The roof at that point is a compound curve.
I first cut a thin piece of plywood (luan) to match the bottom of the Wineguard and marked on the new cutout with the forward direction and all hole locations from the base of the Wineguard. With the trailer already level, I then placed that cutout on the roof in the place I wanted to mount the Wineguard. I then used a level and wood blocks and wedges to level the new wood baseplate, it should not be closer that .75" at its closest point to the roof. After it was level I marked every 2 inches around the circumference of the wood template. At every mark I measured the distance between the bottom of the leveled template to the roof and wrote that measurement on the template were the measurement was taken. using a Sharpie, I then marked the roof with the outline of the template so I could put it back in the same place later.
At this point I have a wood template with about 20 marks around the circumference with height measurements written next to them. I then cut Styrofoam 2" x 2" x to the length measured at each mark and glued it to the bottom of the template with Styrofoam safe construction adhesive. Repeated until there was a Styrofoam block glued at every measured point. Wait for the glue to dry. I then took the template back on the roof and used a bastard file to shape the choppy square blocks to better fit the slope of the roof, this took a while with many test fits in the marked position on the roof. I wire burned around the circumference to clean up the outside edge of the assembly.
Next I covered the whole assembly with fiber-glass cloth and resin, inside and out, top and bottom. You have to be careful in your selection of resin because some resins will melt Styrofoam. Once the resin dried I sanded it smooth and painted it to match the tan TPO roof. I then re-marked and drilled through the assembly at every mount hole. I measured the thickness of the assembly at every drilled hole to generate a list of bolt lengths needed allowing extra to penetrate the roof by at least 3/4" .
Using an adhesive appropriate for TPO I glued and screwed the dish and subplate to the roof. Later I noticed the sealant in one spot had pushed out and I found it was due to expansion and contraction of air in the sizable void under the plate. I then drilled a semi horizontal hole at a low point and a slight downward angle, I then glued a plastic tube in this hole. THis allows the cavity to breath and since it is at a low point under the dish I will not get a significant accumulation of condensation.
In the end it made a very nice and secure installation, but it was a lot of work. Someone smarter than I could probably find a more simple but suitable method. I was motivated by the stupid and absurd answer I received from the dealer on how they would install it if I hired them to do it.
Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas for mounting yours. I do recall there being a specification in the mounting instructions that there could not be a gap larger than 3/8" between the Wineguard and the roof before tightening the fasteners.