Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Movin on Up! 2010 Eagle Superlite 28.5 BHS

Hi all! Thanks for all the informative posts on these forums. I have purchased a 2010 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5BHS from Indiana RV Connection where Jaycos are made. I plan to travel there from Texas next week to take delivery on it! We are moving up from a Forest River bumper pull we have owned for the past 5 years.

Through my research on these forums, I selected the Pullrite Superglide 16K hitch and had it installed 3 days ago. They asked for the manufacturer and model # of the pin box. I was new to all this 5er stuff and I was like, What's a pin box? (well not really, but almost). Since the unit is 1000 miles away, I couldn't go out and just look. So, I called Jayco and gave them the VIN on the unit I reserved and they told me the pin box was a Leland AF925. I passed the info on to the hitch installer and they ordered the "capture plate" (again, I was like, OK capture plate- sure I guess I need one).

Well, after more research on these forums and the Pullrite website, I learned that the capture plate is an important piece of what makes the fifth wheel hitch slide back as the TV is turned. But I also read some threads here that gave me pause on what all has to occur in order to pull it off the dealer's lot. The capture plate "captures" the king pin so that it does not turn freely in the hitch. Instead, it cause the hitch head to turn which activates the cam which then causes the hitch to slide back (at least that is my current understanding of what happens). There are three types of Pullrite Superglide capture plates that can be attached to the pin box: 1) Quick Connect; 2) Multi-Fit Quick Connect; and 3) Universal. The first two are fairly easy to attach to the pin box (according to the Pullrite literature) while the third, Universal, is more time consuming to attach and could require some welding.

So, now to the capture plate purgartory I just endured for the past three days. The hitch installer ordered me a Quick Connect capture plate #331710. I picked the capture plate box up today and the part number on the box was #3365. I called Pullrite and they said neither one of those two would work on a Leland (the 331710 was actually for a Lippert- hey well Lippert and Leland both begin with L). So I asked Pullrite, which kit do I need? He said either the Quick Connect kit #331730 (if I am lucky) or the custom fit "Universal" kit #3317 (which requires an involved installation on the pin box). Pullrite said I can use the Quick Connect kit (the easy one I can install) if certain dimensions are met on my particular pin box) See http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/QCCP_Fit_Chart.pdf for the chart that shows how to measure and what the measurements must be for the Quick Connect capture plates.

So I called the dealer and asked if he could get me the measurements per the Pullrite chart. He called back and gave me the measurements. Measurement B and C were a bit different than listed in the Pullrite chart for Leland so I called Pullrite again. The technician at Pullrite put me on hold and spoke with the engineer who designed the particular capture plate and said that, yes, the Quick Connect kit #331730 would indeed work. So, after breathing a sigh of relief, I carried the wrong capture plate kit back to the hitch installer and had him order me the 331730 which should be in tomorrow.

Now I think I am ready to finally make this whole deal work. I really didn't know there was so much to this but I am thankful I believe I have it figured out. So, I will be heading to Indiana next Wednesday to see if it all really works!!! I also found out that Jayco has free tours of their plant at noon Monday through Thursday- I am hoping to be able to do that. The dealer I am purchasing from is located in Middlebury, IN near the Jayco facility! I am staying at the KOA just up the road while I am there.

Thanks to all who post informative things on these forums. I am very excited to be a new fifth wheel owner AND a new Jayco owner! If anyone has any corrections to what my understanding of the hitch issues are, please let me know!

Patrick J
Texas
Patrick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Patrick J! We drove to Indiana to pick up our tt Sept '09. Our Cali dealer owns the dealership a mile up the road from the factory. We made a pretty nice month long trip out of it.

Lotsa folks from Texas here and lotsa 5er owners too. Hopefully what you figured out will work, but hopefullly you may get some input from other owners here. Travel safe
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #3

Patrick,

I don't have a 5er but just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say congrats on your 2010 Eagle Superlite 28.5 BHS
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #4

Patrick-
I just bought a 2011 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS. I believe that the frame and pin box on mine is identical to your frame and pin box. I strongly encourage you to do some more research on the capture plate and your trailer.

Pullrite told me clearly that they did not offer a quick connect capture plate that would work with the Jayco supplied pin box on my trailer - the only option being a universal capture plate which fastens with many bolts or is welded on, that makes it difficult if your trailer has to be towed with a hitch that is not a superglide, which arguably might void the warranty on your pin box, as you either have to drill holes into it or weld to it. What I ended up doing was getting a Mor-Ryde pin box, which properly fits the trailer, and has a Pullrite quick connect capture plate available for it. It would be a total frustrating shame if you traveled 1000 miles to get your trailer and then had a capture plate fiasco to deal with.

I encourage you to find a similar Eagle Superlite trailer somewhere in your area and measure the pin box yourself and to call Pullrite yourself. I have been impressed with their customer service. Maybe what you were told is correct, but it does not square up with the research I did about 3 months ago.

By the way, your pin box - if it is actually the same as mine - is not really a Leland pin box. Dexter bought out Leland, the pin box is made by Dexter, and is about 2 inches more narrow in width than the old style Leland pin box. The Dexter model number on my pin box is 221-0031.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #5

RVHiker- Thanks so much for the suggestion. I found out that it is Dexter part #221-033. The RV dealer gave the measurements and he said it is exactly 14 inches wide. I called Pullrite with the measurements and the engineer said it will work with the Quick Connect capture plate made for Leland. I will call Pullrite again and double check.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #6

Looks like maybe they changed the pin box from 2010 to 2011. I just didn't want you to drive 1000 miles and then have an unforeseen issue. Good luck with your trailer - I think the 28.5's are just the right length. Big enough to be comfortable, but small enough to fit fairly easily in most RV sites. Enjoy.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome and congrats on the new Eagle.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #8

I have a 2011 Eagle Superlite and use a 16K Superglide hitch.

I went round and round with Jayco and PullRite trying to determine which capture plate to purchase. I ended up buying a Universal capture plate. I had it written into the contract that the dealer would be responsible for "installing" the capture plate.
Long story short...dealer defered the install to a local welding shop who came up with a great custom solution which allows me to remove the capture plate by pulling 2 pins and sliding two rods out. Takes about 10 seconds to remove the entire capture plate.

See pics below.

Pinbox w/o plate

Universal Capture plate

Half installed

Installing Rod

Ready to roll

Since dealer was responsible for the install, I would think Jayco would have to honor any warranty issues. I couldn't be happier with the final solution.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoke View Post
I have a 2011 Eagle Superlite and use a 16K Superglide hitch.

I went round and round with Jayco and PullRite trying to determine which capture plate to purchase. I ended up buying a Universal capture plate. I had it written into the contract that the dealer would be responsible for "installing" the capture plate.
Long story short...dealer defered the install to a local welding shop who came up with a great custom solution which allows me to remove the capture plate by pulling 2 pins and sliding two rods out. Takes about 10 seconds to remove the entire capture plate.

See pics below.

Pinbox w/o plate

Universal Capture plate

Half installed

Installing Rod

Ready to roll

Since dealer was responsible for the install, I would think Jayco would have to honor any warranty issues. I couldn't be happier with the final solution.

Thanks for the pics! Very nice solution to the problem. I have a 6 yr old trailer that the dealer welded the universal capture plate onto the pinbox. Now that I want to sell the trailer, I'm faced with a dilemma!
jbjlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #10

Everything Worked Out Great

Well everything worked out great. I went to Indiana and the dealer was great. I paid them $40 and they towed my Eagle over to Dan's Hitch in Elkhart. Dan's Hitch was outstanding. They had ordered the quick connect capture plate at my request and it ended up fitting. They had me ready to go in about 30 minutes. I stayed at a KOA near South Bend that night and got to play with the new trailer.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #11

Glad it all worked out Patrick -- dont you love it when a plan comes together! Enjoy that new camper and have a great weekend.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote