Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #1

Mysterious Kitchen Leak

We are new Jayco fifth wheel owners as of March, 2009. Over the course of the last few weeks, we have started noticing a mysterious leak under our kitchen sink. It is getting worse, and we have tried everything: we cannot locate the source! My husband has tightened and tested everything. It manifests by a puddle of water on the floor in the cabinet, under the kitchen sink. This has started soaking the wood trim of the cabinets, and they are beginning to damage.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
staceyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #2

Leak under kitchen sink

As a plumber and a designer owner, I must say there are a lot of possibilities. You really need to find source of the leak by finding something wet above the puddle. I assume youv'e already tried that. Is this leak a stand alone puddle or could it be running to that area from somewhere else such as a water heater or a water filter? Another possibility is that when you use the sink perhaps the countertop is getting wet and leaking around the sink. I would start with tightening the fittings on the trap and the kitchen faucet. Be careful not to overtighten. Try filling up both sides of the sink and draining them at the same time, while observing the plumbing underneath. Good luck
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Are you using a water regulator? My first designer had the same problem when i forgot to put on the regulator. With the regulator, or when using the pump, i had no problems.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #4

You might want to put a large shallow plastic storage container or two under the sink until you find out the source of the leak to prevent more damage to the cabinets/wood trim. If the storage containers do not catch any water but water is still puddling under the sink that might be evidence that the water is coming from somewhere other than the sink.

Good luck!
Texas Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #5

ONE COUNTRY BOY posted about a vent in his Eagle that was leaking and a follow-up post by YOGI indicated that he had seen two Designers with a leak near the microwave. You can use the SEARCH feature at the top of the page to find those posts--just type in the word "leaks" and hit enter. Probably not related to your situation but I just thought I would mention it.
Texas Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #6

You state that you are new owners as of March 2009. Is the RV a 2008 or 2009 meaning this is still under warrany? If so, I would not waste any time and bring it for warranty repair.
If the RV is not under warranty, then I would advice as others have mentioned and see if you can find the leak. It could be the sink, pipes, roof leak running down the wall, water heater, broken line somewhere and dripping to a point that settles to a low point.
Good Luck with your repair!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #7

We had a similar leak and could not find the source. Finally, we installed a NEW pressure regulator and the problem was solved. Guess pressure regulators go bad, too.
Flytyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #8

We had a leak simalar to yours in our 2009 Designer. The dealer replaced the washers in the sprayer. Where the hose hooks to the sprayer. We had this done just before we put the trailer away for the winter...so I don't know if it took care of the problem. Something you may want to look at.
Rough2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #9

I don't have a Designer, but an Eagle. I had an elusive leak also. Took me 7 trips to find it as it would leak only when it felt I wasn't looking for it. It was the water filter under the sink. Seems it had a pinhole leak in the casing which was causing it. I replaced the pressure regulator, tightened down all the lines before I found it.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #10

Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forum staceyb! Hope you keep coming back and checking the forums for support with all your Jayco experiences!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Make sure outside covers are closed!

We have an older Designer 35 RK parked in the "Rain Forest" that is Rabun County in NE GA. We too had this problem and found the cause when we were there and it poured rain.
Turns out the water was coming in the compartment where the electric hook-up cord comes in: it wasn't locked closed, and the water off the roof comes off that back corner.
I put a strip of aluminum duct tape as a deflector shield just above that compartment and have had no more problems, except I still have to replace the wooden kitchen floor that buckled up...
Hertz2Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJayco View Post
You state that you are new owners as of March 2009. Is the RV a 2008 or 2009 meaning this is still under warrany? If so, I would not waste any time and bring it for warranty repair.
If the RV is not under warranty, then I would advice as others have mentioned and see if you can find the leak. It could be the sink, pipes, roof leak running down the wall, water heater, broken line somewhere and dripping to a point that settles to a low point.
Good Luck with your repair!
Jaycos warranty is 2 yrs from purchase. If it was purchased in 2009 it would be out of warranty in 2011. It is now 2014 which would be 3 ys out of warranty.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #13

I think someone has posted a current post to a very old post. LOL

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote