Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Need help on multiple issues

We have a 2014 Jayco Jayfeather Ultralite.

Problem #1 Last year we noticed our furnace heater quit working. It tries to come on - air starts blowing - but then shuts off. Vents are not clogged.

Problem #2 We haven't used our stove in about 2 years. This morning it will not light.

Problem #3 We tried the gas water heater just now and the water heater is trying to light but isn't doing it. There's a DSI FLT light on on the camper control panel now that I've never seen before.

HELP!!!! We are super DIY people but this is annoying.
JT&Lexie's Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

How's your propane tank level(s)? It is common to all 3 of your issues/problems.

EDIT: Oops! Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Sounds like LP delivery. Tanks off, regular stuck closed, tanks empty and etc. It will take a while to purge the air out.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #4

Check propane bottles and regulator. Do you have dual tanks with automatic switching regulator (those fail to switch sometimes)? If so, switch it to one tank and make sure that tank valve is open and it is full. Then try to light stove. You may have to let the propane run for a minute to get the air out. I use a match or fireplace lighter for that.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #5

Don't forget to open the propane tank valves very slowly. There is a type of safety check valve that will not let any propane flow if the valves are opened too quickly, You probably already know this but just thought it worth mentioning.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
Don't forget to open the propane tank valves very slowly. There is a type of safety check valve that will not let any propane flow if the valves are opened too quickly, You probably already know this but just thought it worth mentioning.
X2 I had this happen to me.

Try shutting off your tank, open a stove burner, disconnect your tank, turn off stove, re-connect tank, open tank valve slowly.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

The tanks are full.
We have a double tank set up with a switcher regulator.
The gas was on and working when we left the house. We know this bc the gas fridge was on and cold still when we arrived. However the gas light on the fridge was blinking when we arrived - indicating an issue. But like I said, it was still cold.
We discovered that the stove didn't work when we tried to light it this morning to make breakfast.
JT&Lexie's Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT&Lexie's Camper View Post
The tanks are full.
We have a double tank set up with a switcher regulator.
The gas was on and working when we left the house. We know this bc the gas fridge was on and cold still when we arrived. However the gas light on the fridge was blinking when we arrived - indicating an issue. But like I said, it was still cold.
We discovered that the stove didn't work when we tried to light it this morning to make breakfast.
If your fridge was showing a fault code, we can be quite certain it was not working.

Were you running your fridge on A/C before you left? If you were hooked up to shore power and on auto it probably was. It's possible it simply stayed cold and never ran on propane. If not opened, they will remain cold for a couple of hours with no problem.

Your stove is the best indicator of whether or not you have propane getting to the trailer. It's pretty low tech--nothing to go wrong.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #9

I'm sure you already know that after you turn propane tank on, it sometimes takes a while for t h e propane
to actually get to the stove. It's best after you get the stove to light, to light all the burners and let them burn for
a few minutes.

Hoping this helps.........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

We were not running A/C. Fridge was in electric until we left - then we switched to propane before we left. It was working when we left.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #11

Do you hear gas flow when you turn on the burner to the stove?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT&Lexie's Camper View Post
We were not running A/C. Fridge was in electric until we left - then we switched to propane before we left. It was working when we left.
He didn't mean your A/C , it's shore power A/C current.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
He didn't mean your A/C , it's shore power A/C current.
Are you positive the fridge was running on propane? The only way to know for sure is to listen (if it's quiet) for the flame to ignite or open the access door on the outside of the trailer and look for the flame.

If you were just looking at the display on the fridge, be aware that it can take a few minutes for it to show a fault as it will try several times to light the flame.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Are you positive the fridge was running on propane? The only way to know for sure is to listen (if it's quiet) for the flame to ignite or open the access door on the outside of the trailer and look for the flame.

If you were just looking at the display on the fridge, be aware that it can take a few minutes for it to show a fault as it will try several times to light the flame.
This is very true! I've been tricked before and come back into trailer to find it flashing. You've definitely got a propane supply issue to whole trailer. As suggested before you need to turn on stove burner and let the air purge out. Wait till you smell propane and light it. If you never smell it and it never lights then you know there is no propane. If it does light then let it run for a few minutes and then try everything else again. If you have no propane flow to stove then go back to tanks, disconnect them. Start from square one at the tanks and work your way back to appliances looking for clogs, breaks in any visible propane lines, non working regulator, etc.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #15

I had a similar issue several years ago. The gas sniffer detector had tripped and needed to be reset. It should be located near the floor, probably near the kitchen area. I believe it should have a green light is all is ok. Once it trips, it controls an electric valve in the propane line coming from the tanks and after the regulator, so no propane is allowed to get to any appliance. Hope this helps.
La Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cajun View Post
I had a similar issue several years ago. The gas sniffer detector had tripped and needed to be reset. It should be located near the floor, probably near the kitchen area. I believe it should have a green light is all is ok. Once it trips, it controls an electric valve in the propane line coming from the tanks and after the regulator, so no propane is allowed to get to any appliance. Hope this helps.
Not a common setup. None of my RVs have had that nor my current 2017 Jayco Eagle 293RKDS.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote