Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #1

Need Jayco Fifth Wheel Feedback

I have an older fifth wheel and have decided it is time to upgrade to a newer one. I pull with a half ton F150 so have been looking at the Jayco 26.5 HT model without the bunks. Its only my wife and I so the size is perfect.

I have been looking at mostly 2010 or 2011 years as they fit my price range. Im just a bit concerned as most of the reviews Ive read online about the Jayco 5ers have been negative. Mostly all say they wow you will colors and cosmetic stuff and then thing after thing starts to break and go wrong.

Can some of you that own this model and years chime in and tell me what I should check over when looking at these units and what to stay away from ?

Thanks
Bigmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #2

I can't speak to the HT's but I do have a comment regarding negative reviews.

You will always see more negative reviews and comments about everything. When people are not happy or their expectations have not been met people make those negative comments. Including myself. What you don't hear are the numerous comments from people that love what they have bought and just don't make a public comment.
This is just the nature we all are in about anything. RV's, cars, trucks, vacuum cleaners etc.

Good luck on your hunt. Hopefully someone with a 2010 - 2011 will chime in.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

I am on my 3rd fifth wheel in 22 years. All three have been Jayco. During that time I have only had one service call which was dealt with promptly under the two year warranty. My friends and relatives who have other brands all seem to have had more issues than me. I take that as a sign that Jayco is reliable and well-built.

Jim
Old 06-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Site Team

The 2010 and 2011 years were great years. A older well taken care of rig will have the majority of little things fixed.

Agree, Weigh the negative reviews carefully, Jayco has been in business a long time, standing tall among the ruins of many rv companies. You don't survive that long with unsatisfied customers.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #5

Since, trailers and fifth wheels are not built like a typical home (with strict standards) it really doesn't matter what brand you buy. They all will have issues, due to towing stress and vibration. My wife and I are new Jayco 5th wheel owners, and we've gone through our shares of minor issues. Overall, we love our trailer. Although we own a HT model, we've heard more horror stories from owners who own much more expensive models. For one to own a 5th wheel trailer, one must be handy and anticipate issues before they become big ones. Towing over bumps, pot holes and rough roads don't help, so we must inspect the unit more often than not. Good luck in your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoss View Post
I have an older fifth wheel and have decided it is time to upgrade to a newer one. I pull with a half ton F150 so have been looking at the Jayco 26.5 HT model without the bunks. Its only my wife and I so the size is perfect.

I have been looking at mostly 2010 or 2011 years as they fit my price range. Im just a bit concerned as most of the reviews Ive read online about the Jayco 5ers have been negative. Mostly all say they wow you will colors and cosmetic stuff and then thing after thing starts to break and go wrong.

Can some of you that own this model and years chime in and tell me what I should check over when looking at these units and what to stay away from ?

Thanks
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #6

Mine is newer, a 2013 29.5 rks, but after more than two years we still love it. Do I lust over newer and bigger? Of course. Would I look to Jayco for a newer one? Yes.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

I have a 26.5 HT RLS but it's a 2016. I love the floor plan and have only had one minor problem (an adjustment to the slide) in the six months we've had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:31 PM   #8

I have a 2013 26.5 RLS. To date, the issues have been:

Under Warranty:
Outside shower/sprayer leaked when off.

Without warranty:
One wheel bearing replaced this past winter.
Hot water knob on bathroom sink cracked, had to replace with universal knobs from Home Depot.

Everything else was either improvements I made, repairs due to the improvements I made, or other ways I found to break things.

12,500 miles of towing, from Minn., to the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf coasts and Canadian border.

Be advised, most normal F150's cannot handle the pin/hitch weight. You must have the Max Payload package (not to be confused with Max Towing). They can pull, but they can't carry the weight required.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
I have a 2013 26.5 RLS.

Be advised, most normal F150's cannot handle the pin/hitch weight. You must have the Max Payload package (not to be confused with Max Towing). They can pull, but they can't carry the weight required.
What is the pin weight on your trailer ?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #10

We have a 26.5 rks for a couple years now with no real troubles. Great floorplan for a couple. It is light wieght and tows easy. We have upgraded to the 293rkds we take delivery on friday.we have owned several jaycos over the years and will continue with the jayco line. They seem to build a better product over all and stand behind thier units.it is all about the dealer supporting thier customers. Good luck!
luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

My Designer will be six years old this coming August. I have lived in it full time for this entire period and without exception the only issues I have had has been appliances that Jayco purchases just like every other manufacturer. Jayco did stand by each and every failed item even when the item manufacturer wouldn't.

The only item that Jayco wouldn't warrant was the failed EPDM roof that started failing at the 5 1/2 year mark. Well out of Jayco's warranty so I'm not holding this against them at all. But don't believe for one minute that the 12 year warranty published by Jayco and other manufacturers is worth the ink it takes to print it.

I have written on this numerous times before, but suffice it to say the EPDM material started leaking through the membrane in several locations. The manufacturer offered $227.00 as their total responsibility after a failure at less than 50% of the 12 year warranty period.

I laughed at this ridiculous warranty offer, but installed RVRoof | Home of the original sprayed RV Roof this instead. No more roof issues or caulking for me. And this is my first summer with the RV Flex Armor roof and the increased insulation is allowing my a/c's to cycle on/off during the heat of the day which they never did over the past years at the same park where I am now.

Enuf said. No more rubber roof for me EVER!

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #12

Feedback

We purchased a 2010 29.5 RKS ht at the beginning of the year and just took our first trip in it.

We are very happy
Construction, appearance, fit and finish, all good.

Pre-purchase we did a lot of online research get some ideas of what we wanted before we set out to look at what was out there. Saw a lot of junk, mostly due to neglect, such as roofs not inspected and maintained causing leakage and de-lamination. A few decent ones that just weren't it.

Of course the dealers always want to sell you a new one!
We actually didn't like some of the features if the 2016 models.

We traveled the furthest to view our Jayco, now we own it.

We have a 98 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel that tows it well.
The GVWR of the 29.5 5er is 10700lb
The 27.5 is less

A half ton truck "could" pull it, would definitely need air bags, and would be towing near the max rated capacity for the truck. You will really notice it when pulling hills and mountain passes.

Best wishes in your endeavor.
GTAEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #13

I just bought a new Jayco HT (which as I guess you know stands for Half Ton...truck to pull it with). We love it, would buy it again without hesitation. Problems with it, sure but goes with the industry. Like the "rubber roof", would you or anyone buy a home with a rubber roof? Then entire industry is mired in old school thinking and technology, something right out of the 60's.

I have had several issues and have contacted Jayco Customer service 3 times and all 3 times I got a one liner reply: 'go see your dealer'...DUH that why I am contacting you!

Warranty, your best approach is to see this a game of chance, if they fix it on their dime and do so in a timely manner then you win. This is just the way the entire industry works!

We bought a 45 foot motor coach, it spent on average a week per month at the dealer for a year and after the last incident which cost ME $5000 to repair because it was NOT covered under warranty I walked into the dealer and told them buy it back and they did.

Until the entire industry changes their business model like the auto business did and embraces the technology we have in 2016 we will all have to deal with with. IMO I think Jayco is doing a better job than most!

I recently parked next to a new Forrest River unit that was the equal to my unit and we compared the two in features, design and quality. Jayco hands down. Not just better, but superior. He showed me where on his slide you could see daylight between the outer wall and the floor all the way down. The layout, ergonomically did not flow like ours (Jayco has put a lot of thought into ergonomics), his fit and finish were poor at best, he has already suffering rain leaks, appliance issues and a host of other minor and major problems. Yet he paid far more $$.

Buy and buy Jayco!

TIP: Buy local, you chances of getting anything fixed will increase if you buy where you live.

Buying used often means things have been fixed, but it also means things out of warranty may not have been fixed or just patched up to sell.

Every time I have bought used after the deal is closed and its time to drive away I ask the key person to come out side I have a question. Look them straight in the eye and tell them you are happy and nothing will spoil that, but is there ANYTHING wrong with this that if it were you you would get fixed soon. Be friendly and assuring and you may be surprised what comes out when you ask for an honest answer.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
What is the pin weight on your trailer ?
Depending on the trip, around 1900. I've been know to fill the water tanks to add 400lbs to the rear, to take a bit of weight off the pin, as I am pretty close to the carrying capacity of the truck (2166) with hitch, passenger, dogs, etc. Loaded 5th weight is around 8600-8900, again depending. No problems with the Ecoboost in towing, can easily maintain highway speeds up 6% grades with headroom to accelerate. 10.5 mpg.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Depending on the trip, around 1900. I've been know to fill the water tanks to add 400lbs to the rear, to take a bit of weight off the pin, as I am pretty close to the carrying capacity of the truck (2166) with hitch, passenger, dogs, etc. Loaded 5th weight is around 8600-8900, again depending. No problems with the Ecoboost in towing, can easily maintain highway speeds up 6% grades with headroom to accelerate. 10.5 mpg.
My 2016 F150 Lariat with the 5.0 and 3.73 Diff should easily handle that pin weight even without the Max payload package
Old 06-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #16

I have a new Jayco fiver - a 2016 321RSTS. I have had no problems at all so far. (knock on wood). I am a member of several forums ranging from two different motorcycle brands to cars and trucks, and of course a couple of rV forums. You have to keep in mind that most forum entries will be negative because a lot of people are looking for advice about how to fix a problem, or complaining about something. This is true for every forum I belong to. As far as RV's go, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you join RV.ORG it is the RV equivalent of consumer reports. Rather than give you a sales pitch I'll just suggest you look into it. From pricing, to knowing what brands/floor plans are good/bad and depreciation, it's the best investment you can make as a potential buyer. It goes back quite a few years so you should be able to find an objective evaluation of your prospective model/year there along with what the average depreciation is for the model.
Good luck!
Mindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #17

Quote:
My 2016 F150 Lariat with the 5.0 and 3.73 Diff should easily handle that pin weight even without the Max payload package
It very well may, gotta love the new lighter construction....
Old 06-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #18

40,000 miles and 4 years later still love my HT.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #19

I posted this on RV.net but thought I would bring it here in case you didn't check there.

We have a 2012 HT 26.5 RLS and enjoy it very much. Had a problem with the cap cracking the first year, but Jayco stepped up and replaced it with no comments. I cracked it the next year and replaced it with insurance and am a bit concerned because the cap appears to be fading somewhat. Had a couple of small things wrong that were fixed by the dealer under warranty and that's it. I put a hitch on the rear, attached to the frame which was reinforced towards the axles and have towed our boat for five seasons with no problems. We really have enjoyed it a great deal and there is more than enough storage space for kitchen stuff. True, there is only "one" drawer "in" the kitchen, but right around the corner are two deep drawers where we keep most of our heavy cooking utensils and other kitchen stuff. Also, we do keep some stuff under the sink with the garbage can. Only thing I will change one day is the pantry. It has only one divider and both areas are very tall, too tall in my opinion. I will, some day, put in sliding drawers of some type so that I can more easily access the stuff in the pantry and, as well, stack stuff up without the worry of it falling over when the trailer is moving. Also, the one poster above is correct about the bedroom. The literature says there is 6'2" of head space, but that really is only at the end of the bed. It's not really a big deal, unless a person is unable to bend just a little when going to the head of the bed. As for clothes storage, there is a little closet on either side of the bed and a four-door closet on the bedroom slide-out that holds a great deal of stuff. When we go fishing for a week, I get all the clothes I need in the closet on buy side of the bed, including my shoes, etc. We took a 20-day trip two springs ago and there was more than enough storage. If you find that the 26.5 RLS is a little too big for you, Jayco also makes a 23.5 rear kitchen that might be good for you. I don't believe that Jaycos are more prone to bad workmanship than any other brand based on the comments that I see on this site about other brands. Everybody can get a lemon at one time or another. Good luck with your search.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote