Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Need Windows

Our new Eagle 31.5 rlts is very dark in the kitchen area, I am thinking of cutting in a window in the slide out wall and one in the sink side wall. Has anyone done this. Dealer wants $500 per window and I think I could do it myself. Handy and all that. Probably would want to contact Jayco. Also wondering if this would affect my warranty. Thanks all.
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Need Windows

I would go for it especially in a slide out.
If you have the tools to do it then get er done. Post some pictures of work along the way, you may help out others who may want to do the same thing.
As far as warranty i would think as long as your job doesn't create another problem then shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Don't think they will approve of that and keep your warranty. They told me if I added a hand rail inside it would void it in that area. Problem is getting an help from engineering to know best way and place to cut.
Good luck
pointrow
pointrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Yes it is dark in that corner as we have the same model. Even with a window behind the stove it still seems dark. I would think knowing where the framing is in the wall will be the hard part and that is the heavy slide ,fridge ,stove, counter top maybe more framing in the walls. I would think there would be a warranty issue may have to wait two years before you do that. But if you go ahead pictures would be nice.
Good Luck
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

What we finally did was put plexiglass on the screen door...I can keep the "big" door open..brings in lots of light...doesn't seem to affect the heat or air. Now on to that closet and/or pantry which is deep and dark.
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #6

Consider skylights. I've done factory tours and the walls on some RV's do not have studs and framing like house construction but are sandwiched foam with reinforcements where necessary.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crablad View Post
What we finally did was put plexiglass on the screen door...I can keep the "big" door open..brings in lots of light...doesn't seem to affect the heat or air. Now on to that closet and/or pantry which is deep and dark.
We are leaving the upper part as a closet and we are putting slide out shelves in the bottom using 22" full extendable hardware and the shelf is about 28". I got one build this summer and then life got very busy, but I did get an 18' x40' shed built for the 5thw and a 12' x25' shed for the truck built.
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Consider skylights. I've done factory tours and the walls on some RV's do not have studs and framing like house construction but are sandwiched foam with reinforcements where necessary.
X2 on this. Just a guess, but I think you would get more light out of a skylight than a window in the wall. You should call Jayco CS but my guess is that it would affect the warranty in some way no matter which way you go. Probably if you would ever have any leakage issues.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote