Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

New 345BHTS

Well I was in Florida last week on vacation and my dealership called to let me know my new rig had arrived! So I took another day off work today and went picked her up and boy is this thing nice! I am upgrading from a trail behind to this 5th wheel and I must say everyone told me how nice they towed but I didn't really expect what I experienced on my way home! You guys are right about the towing experience with a 5th wheel! I got some of the stuff out of the basement of the house and packed the RV basement! I also had a problem on the battery cutoff switch as when I turned the thing off the lights inside the unit and stereo didn't turn off. Having an engineering background I took the switch off the wall and followed the leads and they had one of the common leads tied down with the battery lead on the switch. I am not sure if this was an oversight at the factory but I moved it over with the other common lead and Viola! my switch was working as expected!. The only other thing I am a little concerned about is the brakes on the camper are not anywhere near what I had on my TT. I had to set the gain all the way to 10 (I have a 2014 F250 PS with factory controller) ad when I sneezed the paddles together from truck idle it takes 10 to 20 feet to final bring the truck and trailer to a stop. The service guy say that these are dexter new self adjusting brakes and there is a film on them from the factory that need to be worn off and that over time they will improve. This does not sound right to me can anyone elaborate on this?
bfurry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Do the brakes do the same thing if you use the manual brake controls ?

So, at about 20mph, don't touch your truck brakes, just squeeze the controller override together. They should almost lock the trailer brakes.

Not owning a ford, don't know if you have other programming options for trailer class/ weight like we do on a tek P3

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #3

Yeah that is what is NOT happening when I squeeze the manual controls. My old TT with the same truck I was able to do that and had the gain set at 8. This one I can't get them to lock up and I have the gain as high as it will go at 10.
bfurry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

I have the 345 since October drove from NY to Key west and points in between (4000 miles) I also upgraded from a TT - I have a f-350 w factory controller - it acts the same as it did on my TT. I can use the manual slide and bring the truck and trailer to a full stop with the gain set on 6 doing 15-20 mph
Billfitz is offline   Reply With Quote