Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

New 5er

I have camped in everything from a pup tent to a Class A Motorhome. But, I have avoided 5th wheels because to me they looked like 18 wheeler rigs. Over and over, I have been told that they are easier to tow than a travel trailer and finally, I bought a Jayco 345BHS. Am picking it up from the Dealer on Saturday. So far, all I know from experience is it was a lot more expensive than a travel trailer. For example, you can get a hitch ball from Walmart for a few dollars, but I had to take out a second mortgage to buy a gliding 5th wheel hitch.

So, I have some stupid questions. First, do you drive with the tailgate up or down? Why do people buy the stupid looking tailgates with the dip in the middle? Is there a way to lock the expensive hitch to the truck so people can't steal it? Do you lift the 5th wheel up and down on the hitch with those little scissor jacks on the corner? I found information about how long and wide the rig is. I also found a dozen different ways of weighing it none of which are related to the weight limitations I can find for my 2007 Silverado 2500. But, I can't find any place that tells me how tall it is. Do I have to worry about clearance of bridges and tunnels? Do you pull into Truck Weighing Stations? Do you shut the propane tank valves to travel or can you leave the refrigerator running on propane? With the large Travel Trailers I have had in the past, I had to have a trailer brake controller in the truck. But, not with the 5th wheel. Does it not have brakes?

I originally thought the salesman was going to tell me all that stuff, but I am beginning to think he doesn't know any more about it than I do. Any pointers would be appreciated. I have too much invested in this rig to do something stupid and damage it.
Beelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #2

Wow that's a lot of questions.
I will answer the ones I know but I am new to RVing but not to towing.
-When you hitch tailgate down after you hitch tailgate up!
-The "Stupid" looking tailgates are so you don't have to drop and lift the tailgate and you cant damage the tailgate by forgetting and it keeps anything from falling out.
-I don't know if there is a way to lock it into the truck but I will likely be using a cable to hold mine from disappearing along with the geny.
-The scissor jacks should be just for stability they have a landing gear to hold up the front end.
-The brochure should have the specs on height.
-YES I would worry about all bridges and tunnels that are lower than standard height.
-Yes you still require a trailer brake controller
-The CAT scales seem to be the choice for weighing your rig.
-As for the propane I would think it would be the same as your travel trailers.

Hope these answer some of your questions but here's a suggestion if you search out some key words in the search section you will find lots of past treads on many of your questions.

Happy Trails

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

You do not pull into truck weigh stations-commercial use only. If your worried get a truck gps and set it for your overall length and height
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

You can buy hitch pin locks for 5th wheel hitches that are pretty much identical to the hitch pin locks you use for your tounge hitch receiver. I bought mine thru etrailer.com. About $18.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #5

If you have a short bed truck be careful even with the hitch slid back until you confirm the nose will clear the truck, not sure if you have the 88 degree nose cone or not.

Your fridge may or may not stay lit going down the road, I always ran mine with no issues. Technically it may actually be illegal in some states. If you have a generator that's an option too.

Good luck and enjoy...
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

Beelbill

You are going to love this 5er. Have had a trailer then a class c for the last 6 years. Just bought a 31.5RLTS . You tube has a lot of "how to hitch your fifth wheel". I have tight parking and was worried about backing up. No problem, have to turn harder to get it to start turning but then all is well. Have towed with fridge on no problems. First time you hit the freeway you'll have a big smile on your face. Trailer has brakes, Works just like your traile if you had electric brakes.
Happy days ahead...
PETERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Why do people buy the stupid looking tailgates with the dip in the middle?
Often because it looks better than the stupid dent they put in their original tailgate when they forgot to lower the tailgate.

Do you lift the 5th wheel up and down on the hitch with those little scissor jacks on the corner?
Fifth wheels almost have landing legs (which are usually electrically powered) for this purpose.

Do I have to worry about clearance of bridges and tunnels?
Absolutely. On major highways there will seldom be a problem, but on smaller roads bad things can happen. My fifth wheel is 12' 7" tall and I occasionally encounter a bridge lower than that. Gotta keep your eyes open.

I originally thought the salesman was going to tell me all that stuff, but I am beginning to think he doesn't know any more about it than I do.
Many of them know much less than the average RV'er when it comes to using an RV. Their purpose is to sell you an RV, a entirely different skill set.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

My tailgate was always in the way. Rather that purchase one of those 5th wheel tailgates I employed a Southern Redneck strategy (a treated 2X6 cut to size).
Attached Thumbnails
20141214_122015.jpg  
Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #9

Just to add to your second mortgage, you might want to consider a set of airbags for that 2500. I did, and it makes a huge difference when I pull my 5er on my 2500.

I chose the auto glide hitch because I do have a short bed, and with that, I can go a full 90 degrees without having to think about pulling the slide lever to slide the pivot point back

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
Just to add to your second mortgage, you might want to consider a set of airbags for that 2500. I did, and it makes a huge difference when I pull my 5er on my 2500.

I chose the auto glide hitch because I do have a short bed, and with that, I can go a full 90 degrees without having to think about pulling the slide lever to slide the pivot point back
Jmooney, which auto glide hitch do you use? How much trouble is it to remove from the truck
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Why do people buy the stupid looking tailgates with the dip in the middle?
Often because it looks better than the stupid dent they put in their original tailgate when they forgot to lower the tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
Not sure what you mean by airbags. The truck comes with airbags for if you get in a wreck. Is there a 5th wheel towing airbag?

Don't know the name of the hitch. Have never used it yet. I do know it is an auto-glider. Whatever kind it is, it is heavy. Will probably want to take it out when we park where we will be living, but on the vacation, I was just going to keep it hidden under the bedcover with the tailgate up to hide it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfowler View Post
You can buy hitch pin locks for 5th wheel hitches that are pretty much identical to the hitch pin locks you use for your tongue hitch receiver. I bought mine thru etrailer.com. About $18.
If I can lock it in place then maybe I will leave the tailgate home. Don't see any point in buying one with a dip for the trip or even using a board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Do you lift the 5th wheel up and down on the hitch with those little scissor jacks on the corner?
Fifth wheels almost all have landing legs (which are usually electrically powered) for this purpose.
Have never seen anything holding it up except the 4 corner jacks. Maybe it has a landing leg, but don't know where.

Thank you all for your responses. I need all the help I can get.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #12

Super glide. I use an electric hoist in the garage to put it in and out of the truck by myself. Weights about 150 lbs

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #13

Suspension airbags under the rear of the truck. Use compressed air to fill and adjust. Look for airride or Firestone air suspension

Pics of mine in my profile

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #14

Ask the tech who gives you the PDI all the same questions and take your time to understand all the workings of hitching up correctly.

You will want to have the hitch pin about a 1/2 lower than the head when backing into the king pin. This will result if the trailer lifting up a little and the TV sinking which should give you a positive conneciton. Next you want to connect the trailer pigtail and lift your legs about an inch off the ground. Now get in and lock the trailer brakes while pulling ahead slightly. This is to check that your jaws are locked on your hitch.

Yes you can see if it is locked, but better to 100% confirm it's in there before pulling ahead without the landing gear to catch yout trailer. They will land on your bed rails if it is not correct and being your first go of this better to be overly cautious IMHO.

Your new rig has electric brakes and you will need a brake controller mounted in your TV if there is not a factory intergrated one. I vote for a Prodigy model with proportional braking over a cheap surge type.

For locks on the hitch it depends on your mounting configuration, but check e-trailer or Amazon for options. I just have some metal slotted clips that a regular pad lock goes into. My head is on the older rail style mounts.

For the trailer I have a king pin lock that goes in the notch and blocks a hitch from happening. Hardly ever use it.

Suspenion air bags are what they are talking about. I have the ride rite Firestones and am happy with them.

Suggest you make a list of critical points to check for unhitching and hitching to follow for the first season. The tailgate thing is the most important that can be forgotten easily.

Best thing for height it to measure it yourself once connected and on level ground. If not check the original specs and add 2" so you know. I would think it's a minimum of 12' 8" on a unit that size so yes you will need to watch your heights. Here in the NE there are a lot of crowned bridges that I must take the middle of to clear safely.

Once you get a few trips under your belt it will all come together for you and become second nature.

One other thing is to watch your tracking when making turns, especially when making rights. Your trailer will track 1-3 ft closer on a right turn then your TV and it could result in a clipping of the sidewalk, pole or worse other vehicle. Same for lefts, go out longer on the start and cut it hard to make sure you clear. Perhaps a parking lot with some soft obtacles for practice.

Good luck and enjoy.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelbill View Post
I have camped in everything from a pup tent to a Class A Motorhome. But, I have avoided 5th wheels because to me they looked like 18 wheeler rigs. Over and over, I have been told that they are easier to tow than a travel trailer and finally, I bought a Jayco 345BHS. Am picking it up from the Dealer on Saturday. So far, all I know from experience is it was a lot more expensive than a travel trailer. For example, you can get a hitch ball from Walmart for a few dollars, but I had to take out a second mortgage to buy a gliding 5th wheel hitch.

So, I have some stupid questions. First, do you drive with the tailgate up or down? Why do people buy the stupid looking tailgates with the dip in the middle? Is there a way to lock the expensive hitch to the truck so people can't steal it? Do you lift the 5th wheel up and down on the hitch with those little scissor jacks on the corner? I found information about how long and wide the rig is. I also found a dozen different ways of weighing it none of which are related to the weight limitations I can find for my 2007 Silverado 2500. But, I can't find any place that tells me how tall it is. Do I have to worry about clearance of bridges and tunnels? Do you pull into Truck Weighing Stations? Do you shut the propane tank valves to travel or can you leave the refrigerator running on propane? With the large Travel Trailers I have had in the past, I had to have a trailer brake controller in the truck. But, not with the 5th wheel. Does it not have brakes?

I originally thought the salesman was going to tell me all that stuff, but I am beginning to think he doesn't know any more about it than I do. Any pointers would be appreciated. I have too much invested in this rig to do something stupid and damage it.

Specs for your 5er.

http://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2007-eagle-fw/
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #16

The specs you found say it is 13 ft. and 1 in. high with air-conditioner. I would say 14 ft. would be cutting it as close as I would want. I texted Camping World and they said it has 2 landing legs on the front, but I look at the picture and all I see is the scissor jacks on the corners. Guess I will find out Saturday. They have already installed the hitch on my truck and there is no break controller. Maybe the trailer brakes just work with the truck breaks. I saw a commercial where a guy was moving himself in a big truck and was driving down the road smashing all the parked cars on the passenger side. I am beginning to wish I had gotten a travel trailer like I am used to. I think the guy at Camping World is beginning to wish so too.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

If that is your 5th wheel in your avatar, the landing gear shows in the front corners. They are holding up the 5th wheel.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #18

Thanks. They look like regular scissor jacks to me. I expected some kind of electric hydraulic arm.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:15 PM   #19

You will need a electric brake controller installed in your truck to operate the trailer brakes, I think you can get one for around 100.00 or so.The 5th may seem big, but you will be surprised how well it handles.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #20

You are making it far more complicated than it is. It's just a travel trailer with a different hitch mechanism.

First, do you drive with the tailgate up or down? Up.

Why do people buy the stupid looking tailgates with the dip in the middle? To save time. Personally I don't think they are worth it. Try it first with your normal tailgate.

Is there a way to lock the expensive hitch to the truck so people can't steal it?
Don't know but if you get the auto slide like it sounds like you are, it'll take a small crane to get it out, so likely nobody will steal it because it'll take too much effort and create a huge scene. I've never locked mine, and ive never heard of anyone who has had a problem. Frankly most thieves find easier targets like radios, and loose equipment like tools.

Do you lift the 5th wheel up and down on the hitch with those little scissor jacks on the corner? Not sure what you are talking about. They are lifted with jacks in the front but they don't look like scissor jacks.

Do I have to worry about clearance of bridges and tunnels? Not on freeways. Let's face it, semis drive under the same overpasses. Now on back roads, non standard bridges yes but it's very rare. I have yet to even think about it. When you get it home bring put a tape on it and get an accurate height.

Do you pull into Truck Weighing Stations? No

Do you shut the propane tank valves to travel or can you leave the refrigerator running on propane? Do what you did in your travel trailer. Peoples opinions vary. I personally never shut mine off when traveling(assuming there is food in it) but some do.

With the large Travel Trailers I have had in the past, I had to have a trailer brake controller in the truck. But, not with the 5th wheel. Does it not have brakes? Yes, it has electric brakes, same as a travel trailer. Your truck will need some kind of electric brake controller. May already be built in. As long as your truck is set up for travel trailers, you are set up for a fifth wheel (regarding brakes)
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote