Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

New 5'er - Must Have Items

Hello all, I looked but haven’t found this information so I thought I’d just ask. I’m putting together a list of items that I think I need for the new 5th-wheel. Some items I’ll bring with me to pick up the new 5’er, but not all will be needed for that trip home. My wife & I will be traveling about 900 miles (one-way) to pick up our new rig, sometime around March/April. So since the 5th-wheel is new and our 1st 5’er, just wondering what ya’ll think are any ‘Must-Have’ items for a new owner? We do plan to stop on the way home and camp a few days in the new rig. So any food we’ll need will be purchased on-the-road.
Just a few items I think I ‘should’ bring for the maiden voyage are:

· Leveling Block
· Wheel Chocks
· Trailer Aid (in case of a flat)
· Safety Triangles
· Lug-Nut Wrench
· Some Tools (hammer, adjustable wrench, screw-drivers, etc)
· Flashlights (I have a few good one’s)
· CASH

I’m sure there are a few other things that I should ‘really’ have with me, if so please chime-in.

Thanks,
Dave…

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Electrical Management System (EMS) or surge protection.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

Instead of the lug nut wrench, you might want to consider a good quality torque wrench with appropriate sized deep well socket. Be sure the lug nut torque is set at recommended specs before you pull it off the dealers lot. Remember to use the cross star pattern to tighten and check them. Also, make sure tires are inflated to spec.

Another thing to consider, if you are familiar with one and know how to use it is, a volt ohm meter.

I'm sure I'll think of something else.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #4

Roadside assistance - AAA - or Route 66.

Would not travel without it IMO.

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

50 to 30 amp and to 20 amp adapters. You never know what power you might have to deal with at a campground.
Extension cord in case power is too far away
Water hose (at least 50 feet)
Sewer hose
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #6

I agree with others here. Other things I can add are: surge protector, water pressure regulator, mesh screen strainers for sinks, bio degradable soap, rear bumper caps (to keep rodents out.) A dog bone adapter is also ideal. Last, but not least, a giant American Flag!
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

tularockstar, agree 100% on giant American Flag!
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

New pen and pad for the never ending needs and wants list!

Sheets, pillows, blankets and towels since you will be staying.
Know your height and check your route. A truckers atlas or RV/Truckers GPS are good tools. Google maps will not tell you heights.

Water regulator and Watts are the best IMHO, so if your starter kit has one use that to get by then invest during the offseason. You will get much better flow in your rig vs the preset cheapo ones. I made the change this year and it was significant on the flow rate.

An adapter for 50A to 30A Dogbone then possibly to 15A (for home) if the dealer is not providing.

Make sure the furnace and water heater is working before you depart.

If your unit is winterized and you are going to use the plumbing have them connect a hose to confirm no leaks. Some dealers bypass this in PDI this time of year as they don't want to re winterize.

Have a sewer hose, multiple connections for the hose to the ground pipe. Usually a Rhino kit has this, but if you have 2 connections you might need more hoses and connections. If this is well equipped dealer showfloor and they are offering a percentage off of toys take them up on it and while your rig is there match it all up. That stuff is no more expensive doing it that way vs piecing together later. You could get by with one hose, but you might as well get everything you need as you will anyway.

Waterhose is another thing that comes to mind.

Last and I feel most important is to make sure that you understand how to correctly de-couple and re-couple the rig. Being new to 5'ers and probably not too many fellow campers around this time of year to ask. Take notice that your hitch is fully engaged. Do a brake check tug (fully engage the brake controller) with the legs only 1" off the ground once you reconnect. It can save you thousands in a new bed if your trailer is not fully connected.

I have seen it happen and just had a new to RV'ing friend total his bed as result of being lazy and only listening for the "click". Just because you hear it does not always mean it's fully engaged and each hitch is different.

Other than that enjoy and congrats!

Sorry so long...

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #9

Think about basic/minimal household supplies - bedding, bathroom, kitchen, etc. Lots of lists on line for those items.
*TP - either initially expensive "RV" kind from the dealer, or your own if it's "septic safe".
Rubber gloves - disposable or not, for dealing with the sewer lines/connections.
In addition to sewer line, the *clear connector for it, so you can see whether you've cleaned it out, or not.
*Water pressure regulator for your fresh water hose.
A few beverages, and ice cube trays to test out your refrigerator with.
Some way to make coffee, if you need it.
Small bottle of bleach - you really should sanitize the water system before using it (bring some bottled water to get you by until that is done).
A funnel - may be needed for bleaching your system and/or if you need to add water to the batteries (unlikely, but...)
Rope. Never know what you might have to tie-up temporarily - like if your trailer cord tends to drag on the highway.....(that happened on my first trip home).
Electrical tape.
Of course, duct tape.
Sharp knife.
*Spare fuses.

* Check - items your dealer will probably be more than happy to sell to you. Usually much cheaper elsewhere.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

Don't forget a decent bottle jack with a couple of cut off pieces 2x8s for jack stability. I also carry a 20 volt cordless impact and drill. My wife just picked up a digital air gauge they goes to 150 psi we also carry that on the tv.
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

Beer. For afternoon relaxation.

18 year old scotch. For evening relaxation.

Cell phone for everything else.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #12

Spare fuses.
30 or 50 amp extension cord.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #13

The trailer aid is a very innovative product... but the same thing can be accomplished by driving the good tire up on leveling blocks. Rather than spend money on a product you hope to never use, I would just use the leveling blocks I have anyways.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
The trailer aid is a very innovative product... but the same thing can be accomplished by driving the good tire up on leveling blocks. Rather than spend money on a product you hope to never use, I would just use the leveling blocks I have anyways.
It is much harder to do this with the Mor Ryde 3000 suspension as you need to get the good tire 4 inches or more off the ground to have all the weight off the flat. The suspension travel is greatly increased with this setup. That is a tough slope to get up in order to have no boards in the way of the flat and why I recommend a bottle jack and 6 x 6.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #15

A broom to clear all the debris off of the slides before you put them in and a 3 foot step stool to reach certain things and hang awning lights!
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #16

A retro-reflective vest, for when you have to get out on the side of the road and make a quick repair. Less than $15, and CERTAINLY a life-saver. I keep mine in the pocket, on the drivers door of the tow-vehicle, so that it's readily accessible....
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalengail View Post
Instead of the lug nut wrench, you might want to consider a good quality torque wrench with appropriate sized deep well socket. Be sure the lug nut torque is set at recommended specs before you pull it off the dealers lot. Remember to use the cross star pattern to tighten and check them. Also, make sure tires are inflated to spec.

Another thing to consider, if you are familiar with one and know how to use it is, a volt ohm meter.

I'm sure I'll think of something else.
I know this is old but I think it is worth repeating. If you have read the manual, you will find that it is recommended to check the torque on the wheels every fifty miles for the first 200 miles.

One should also readjust the brakes.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #18

We've just added a Kingpin stabilizer to our inventory and man, was it worth the money. We no longer feel like we're on a cruise ship when going to bed!
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutshot View Post
Don't forget a decent bottle jack with a couple of cut off pieces 2x8s for jack stability. I also carry a 20 volt cordless impact and drill. My wife just picked up a digital air gauge they goes to 150 psi we also carry that on the tv.
Did you mean a decent bottle OF jack?
Old 05-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #20

This should be enough Jack.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote