Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

New 5th wheel - basic questions

Just picked up our new 29.5 bhds today. We are still trying to figure everything out. I have a couple questions.

1. First question has to do with the water pump switch(es). The only time I need to turn them on is when I am not hooked up to a water source right? Also, there is a switch outside by where the water hose hooks up, and a switch inside where the control panel is. Can I turn on either switch to enable the water pump?

2. I was under the impression that the dual lp tanks would automatically switch over. During my PDI I was told that I would have to manually switch over the tanks. Is this correct?
tim665214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:07 AM   #2

Either switch should turn water pump on. You only use water pump when using water in holding tank, not when hooked up to city water.

It's better if you only use one propane tank at a time. When it's empty, then switch over to other tank and get empty tank refilled. This way you always have a full tank. Otherwise you will run out of propane
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #3

I leave both tanks on it will switch to full tank . You have to check to make sure you don't run both tanks dry . The Gage on switch will tell when it has switched good luck with new cammper
Mark Geer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #4

As stated abt #1, either switch will run the pump, and "yes" use it only for tank water (probably for sanitize/winterize too). Be sure you know how to set the water controls for tank or City water. We have 2 valves each with 3 positions and there is an instruction sticker explaining the various settings. The city water is called "City Fixtures" and the tank setting is "Normal".

About #2, your LP tank control may be manual and not automatic. My control is automatic tho I usually open one tank at a time. If it has a Red/Green indicator I'd expect it to be automatic. Did your stack of documentation have anything covering the valve?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Just a heads up.
I do not leave the water pump on.
I only turn it on when we need water.
A buddy of mine left his on and his wife and him left the campsite.
When the returned they found a major leak had developed at a line out of the pump and about 25 gallons of water had been pumped into their trailer.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #6

You should have a dial or switch or some sort of direction part for the LP tanks. The direction it points is the tank it draws from. As you open that tank it should go green, when tank goes empty it will go red telling you it is empty, but it will draw from the other tank if it is on. When you see this close the empty tank, move the arrow to the other tank and it will go green fill the emoty one and repeat. So this is how it works. In a perfect world you see it go red and refill, before the other is empty. But lots of people don't see it go red and end up burning all the gas, so lots of people leave the second tank off so they know where they are at in gas supply. When it goes red and swaps over you don't know when it did it. So you have to look once in awhile. Tank size, gas usage, and length of trip dictate usage and how often you need to look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #7

Water pump pumps water from freshwater tank to your fixtures. Only needed when you are not hooked up to a hose (so a no water hookup situation). Both switches work. Jayco put the one outside to ease the process of winterizing and country fill(filling your water tank via jugs). We use the inside one and leave it on pretty much all the time while camping.

Propane - my dealer told me the same, but was wrong. Most valves have 3 settings. Handle pointed down is automatic change over, the pointed at each tank is for that tank. I leave it pointed down until a tank empties, and it will turn red. By cycling the lever you can tell which tank is empty.