Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

New Designer 5th wheel, Schwintek slide?

I have a new Designer 5th wheel with Schwintek slides. My slides have the new 500 motors, but the big kitchen slide, with residential fridge, doesn't want to come in, on the fridge side. The motor will start, but then quite again after a few seconds. To get the slide in I have to pull or push on it. After it comes in about a third of the way it will come in the rest of the way on its own. Anyone else have this problem, or find a fix? Thanks.

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #2

I had an issue with the same slide on mine. On mine, the motor went on the one side of the slide. I had to disconnect the spring, on the outside top of the slide, and get a screwdriver and hammer and move the slide motor up and then I was able to push in the one side of the slide manually. My camper is now at the dealer, getting fixed.
duble0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

Mine did the same thing. Finally took it to the dealer and they replaced one of the tracks. Said that it was something the factory had notified them about. Have not had any problems since.

Jim
Old 07-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #4

Are you using the levelers first before working the slide?
If so, try putting the slide out first then leveling.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Klassic, I have tried both ways. Didn't make a difference. Will call Schwintek next week and see what they say. Thanks.

Dave
Old 07-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #6

My fridge slide also did the same thing. That was when we noticed the bent outriggers. Works great now we had those fixed.
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird7 View Post
My fridge slide also did the same thing. That was when we noticed the bent outriggers. Works great now we had those fixed.

Yes my slide sounds a lot better now that my outrigger is fixed.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #8

On my 2013 Eagle Premier the first year we went south one motor went bad on the fridge slide. Had it fixed and upgraded to 500.1 motors total out of pocket cost $1100. Non dealer repair ( non in area). On the way back home Slide quit again. ( bad wiring Harness) repaired free but it was a pain traveling with it in for two weeks. This year on the way home, Slide made a loud bang when going out. Entire rack had to replaced , another $1100 out of pocket. Traded it in four days after repair. Hope you have better luck than I did.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

bad99ram, not that it matters, what did you trade for?

If I push or pull on my slide, to help the motor, it will work. If I don't help the motor stops.
Is it possible to get a weak motor? Thanks.

Dave
Old 07-25-2016, 05:15 AM   #10

Just to give you a bit of a background. I purchased my first Jayco in 1988 (popup), I then bought a Jayco trailer (bunkhouse) and then 5 fifth wheels over the years (all new). Prior to the 2013 I had a 2010 321RLMS with the monster slide that was a real dog, major slide system problem. No luck with the Schwintek slides at all. My friend that has a 2013 Pinnicle has had everthing replaced on his Fridge slide Motors, Rack, wiring and control module. I traded for a 2016 Montana High Country 375FL my first Non Jayco product in 28 years.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
Is it possible to get a weak motor? Thanks.

Dave
Sounds like something is in a bind or out of alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99ram View Post
No luck with the Schwintek slides at all. My friend that has a 2013 Pinnicle has had everthing replaced on his Fridge slide Motors, Rack, wiring and control module.
Nothing is perfect. If the preceived major issues with Schwintek were actual do you think companies like WINEBAGO would use them on their MHs? There are other independent brands using Schwintek as well.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sounds like something is in a bind or out of alignment.

Nothing is perfect. If the preceived major issues with Schwintek were actual do you think companies like WINEBAGO would use them on their MHs? There are other independent brands using Schwintek as well.
Yes there are, just passing on my actual experience with them. This subject is sort of like the ST tire debate. Either they work for you or don't. For myself , two different year 5th wheels and major problems with that slide system. Never again.