Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #1

New Mattress

I have lived with the original king mattress that came with my Designer for the past year and a half and enough is enough. I full time and this mattress was bad to start with and is really bad now.

I am looking at a "Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed RV Edition Premier - Radius Cut". This mattress is made by Select Comfort and the king size model is sold exclusively by Camping World. The main selling feature to me is the radius corners as well as the light weight and the adjustable firmness. I carries the same warranty as all Sleep Numbers mattresses.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...adius-cut/9259

Do any of you have any experience with this mattress? It is a bit high priced, but seems to be a great product and I'm ready for a little comfort. The weight should work with the gas shocks that hold my bed up to access the storage.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

We looked at the select comfort mattress too, for now using mattress that came with our Pinnacle with our Memory Foam topper we had on our S & B King Bed.

So far so good.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #3

I don't like memory foam a bit, but I have heard a lot of people like them. I just can't adapt to one at all.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 01-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Thumbs up

We have Comfortaire mattresses in our Eagle and now in our home. I can't imagine how you won't be comfortable on the Select Comfort. They are priced high considering what you get, but a comfortable night's sleep is hard to put a price on. I'm thinking that over time a person's body might become uncomfortable with a firmness setting, but adjustment up or down in pressure would be like getting a new mattress.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #5

Exactly my thinking cekkk. I full time so this new mattress will get a workout quickly.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Site Team

How did it compare to the regular sleep number size and price wise? We are using the mattress that came with our rig that is supposed to be an upgrade.

It is OK now but I can already tell it is not going to last past a few years. Just hope I do!

I see a Select Comfort in my future but don't want to break the bank.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #7

I went to a Select Comfort mall store yesterday to see which one of their models the the Camping World King is. It is the standard P5 model, but with radius corners that the standard P5 doesn't have. The Select Comfort RV models in queen size are listed on their web site. It is only the King Premier Radius that only Camping World sells. The prices are very close to what Select Comfort sells in the queen size and the king is a bit more obviously.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Here is the make that cekk was referring to.

http://www.comfortairedirect.com/pro...-Mattress.html

We had a comfortaire mattress for about 10 yrs at home. Give customer service a call and talk to them. They will answer any questions you have. Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #9

I have stayed in a few Raddisson hotels with these type mattresses and personally do not like them. What I don't like is the "sag" you get in the middle as you adjust below 80 if you do not like a a rock hard mattress. If you like a hard mattress then you will probaly like it since you can always fully inflate the mattress over time. Maybe invest in a nights stay at a Raddisson with the sleep number beds to test it out before you invest. Check that they have them before booking if you do it. Not all have them.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #10

Thanks for the tip, but prior to retiring last year I traveled virtually every week on business and stayed in hotels over 250 nights the last full year I worked.

I like the adjustable mattress, but I absolutely can not stand the memory foam units or toppers. The other feature that I like is the adjustable mattress is lighter than a comparable standard mattress. I don't need any more weight in the front of my 5'er not to mention the gas struts that hold the mattress up when accessing the storage under the bed. I'm pretty sure the existing struts will work.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #11

I have to stand a board under my bed as the struts will not hold the weight up.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I don't like memory foam a bit, but I have heard a lot of people like them. I just can't adapt to one at all.
Memory foam is best (IMO) when only used as a topper. I know some people like the memory foam as the complete mattress, but to me, they make me feel like lead, and i am a very light person. A regular mattress with a memory foam topper, to me is sleep heaven! Not a thick one tho. I like about 1.5 inches. I bought a 2.5 inch one, and it made my back hurt from sinking in too far. I am curious what the thickness and density levels were on the ones you have used? It makes a lot of difference. Low density foam isn't good at all IMO and thicker is definitely not necessarily better.

I guess it is all in what someone's body conforms best too, as those sleep number air type mattresses to me have no comfort level at all. No matter what number I have tried. Just doesn't feel "right" as a sleep surface for some reason.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
We bought a memory foam topper and I thought I had the mattress issue solved. The DW had an allergic reaction to whatever that thing was made of every time she went in the trailer. She told me it had top go or she was going! Guess what, I gave away the topper and kept the DW!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
We bought a memory foam topper and I thought I had the mattress issue solved. The DW had an allergic reaction to whatever that thing was made of every time she went in the trailer. She told me it had top go or she was going! Guess what, I gave away the topper and kept the DW!
Yeah, it seems not all memory foam is created equal. When I was researching it, it seems some companies make it with very inferior material and that might be what happened. Could be she is just simply allergic to all memory foam, but it might have been one of the cheaper companies cutting corners in the materials used.

Some of the foam will have a much 'heavier' chemical smell than others. Did yours have a chemical odor at all? All of them have "some" odor, some much moreso.

The one I am using now, that I recently bought from Bed,Bath and Beyond has grooves in it. I love it even better than the smooth version I recently replaced.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #15

I have tried a topper from 2" to 4". I don't think I have ever tried one 1.5" so I can't comment there, but all of them I have tried makes me feel like I have sunk in mud. I like to roll in place during the night and I can not do that with any memory foam I have tried. I have to raise myself up in order to roll. I can't like that at all. Fortunately I haven't had to buy all of the various thicknesses and types of foam. Various friends have had them while I was visiting.
Concerning the weight and the struts - The new mattress is just a little heavier than the original and if it doesn't stay up I will just replace the struts with stronger ones. A standard mattress that I have been looking at weighs 25 pounds more than the Select Comfort so I know that one will be too heavy.
Keep the comments coming please. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm getting close.
Thanks to all of you.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #16

I know where your coming from on the "extra" night in another hotel. Our Eagle came with the pillow top mattress which was an upgrade from the stock offered. You could not feel the springs but it still needed some padding.

Luckily I kept the Latex foam topper that I had in our previous TT. This is a 2" topper that is heaven for me. Unlike memory foam there is no delay in absorbing your contour. It is hypoallergetic. Movement is immediate and fluid with just the right amount of firmness to support your body. It had holes throughout it like peg board allowing for airflow so it is not hot. Weight wise it is not much more than a down comforter and my gas struts move it with ease. It does not slam down and still needs to be pushed.

I don't think this will solve your bad mattress problem but could be a cost effective allternative to the Sleep Number.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #17

Quote:
I have tried a topper from 2" to 4". I don't think I have ever tried one 1.5" so I can't comment there, but all of them I have tried makes me feel like I have sunk in mud. I like to roll in place during the night and I can not do that with any memory foam I have tried. I have to raise myself up in order to roll. I can't like that at all. Fortunately I haven't had to buy all of the various thicknesses and types of foam. Various friends have had them while I was visiting.
Concerning the weight and the struts - The new mattress is just a little heavier than the original and if it doesn't stay up I will just replace the struts with stronger ones. A standard mattress that I have been looking at weighs 25 pounds more than the Select Comfort so I know that one will be too heavy.
Keep the comments coming please. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm getting close.
Thanks to all of you.
The 2 inch and above memory toppers made me feel the same way - like I was sinking in mud. Which resulted in a back ache the next morning from my back trying to compensate and keep from sinking all night. The 1.5 inch of a 5 lb density does the trick for me. No sinking feeling, good support and a bit of padding to make a stiff mattress the perfect softness for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #18

I stopped by Camping World on my way back to my home base from a long weekend in Atlanta with the grandchildren and found a beginning of the year sale had just started. The king mattress I have been looking at has dropped another $200.00 since yesterday. I ordered it and it should be here Friday.
Decision made. Whew! I'm glad that is over.

Now I just have to get it into the bedroom.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #19

The new Sleep Number mattress arrived this morning. It is now assembled and in the bedroom in my 5'er. I'm waiting on the flat sheet to finish drying and then I can finish making it up. If it is any heavier than the original pos that I just removed it isn't enough heavier that the gas shocks won't hold it up fine. It is just about the same effort to pick it up and it holds in the up position just fine.
Tonight will be the true test. How my back likes it assuming I can find my "sleep number" quickly. haha

Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #20

One night down and so far I would rate this mattress with a solid "A". I did up the sleep number 5 points during the night after I had been on it for a while and that was better. A few more nights will tell the tale, but at this point I wish I had made the change the first day I moved in to the Designer. This morning was the first time in a long time that I woke up and really didn't want to get it.
Does anyone want a RV King mattress made by Mastercraft? <smile> You have to come to central Alabama to get it because it isn't worth the price of shipping even with it being free.