Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #81

New to 5th Wheel Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermanbb View Post
Diesel. The truth on these rigs is the true limiting factor is the tires.

This is probably a stupid question, but since you brought it up, can you gain 100-150 pounds of payload by upgrading to bigger tires.( not taller)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:40 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but since you brought it up, can you gain 100-150 pounds of payload by upgrading to bigger tires.( not taller)

I'm sure you could. However it would not change any of the vehicle ratings. You would need to make certain both the wheels and the tires had a rating suitable to what you were looking for. Having said that, if you are close I wouldn't worry too much. If you are way out of the limits then I would consider more truck. Many people tow way over the limits with absolutely no issues. The truck will take it for sure but you must decide your risk tolerance. A few hundred pounds over on the hitch weight or GVRW of the truck is probably nothing to worry about. Exceeding GCWR could be a different story. I wouldn't put an 18k trailer on a SRW but many do. some people think a 16k trailer is too much. Some people put 20k on a SRW and don't worry about it. My trailer will weigh between 15.5 and 16 loaded (closer to 15.5). I am adding disc brakes. I am comfortable with that. Others will say I am overloaded, some will say I have more truck than I need...Lol......You will need to look at your specific set-up and decide what is right for you. Good luck!
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #83

New to 5th Wheel Towing

Maximum weight of one trailer we were looking at is 14k. There was another around 13k.

I also have some cattle and need a truck I can get out to a pasture thru some narrow gates and at times muddy conditions which is why I'd rather have a SRW-- I would prefer a 250/2500 but I probably couldn't do that unit I mentioned first-- I'd have to go smaller. In a perfect world I could buy two different trucks.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #84

Quote:
Maximum weight of one trailer we were looking at is 14k. There was another around 13k.

I also have some cattle and need a truck I can get out to a pasture thru some narrow gates and at times muddy conditions which is why I'd rather have a SRW-- I would prefer a 250/2500 but I probably couldn't do that unit I mentioned first-- I'd have to go smaller. In a perfect world I could buy two different trucks.

I'd go 1 ton (350/3500) SRW with the short bed if you can. The long bed will cost you a little CCC. However, it depends what trim you get. A mid level trim without a sunroof and too much extra in terms of options gets you a lot of CCC. I would get the diesel though. Unless the trailer you are looking at has a ridiculously high hitch weight you will be under by a comfortable amount. a 350 Lariat nicely optioned will give you what you need. Of course, all of this is just my humble opinion. Best of luck in your search.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermanbb View Post
I'd go 1 ton (350/3500) SRW with the short bed if you can. The long bed will cost you a little CCC. However, it depends what trim you get. A mid level trim without a sunroof and too much extra in terms of options gets you a lot of CCC. I would get the diesel though. Unless the trailer you are looking at has a ridiculously high hitch weight you will be under by a comfortable amount. a 350 Lariat nicely optioned will give you what you need. Of course, all of this is just my humble opinion. Best of luck in your search.
Thanks for the 411. Is the short end the 160" wheelbase?

Old 05-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #86

Quote:
Thanks for the 411. Is the short end the 160" wheelbase?

For the Ford - Yes
Old 05-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahM View Post
Wow, I forgot how much more gear you need with a gasser, to get 4.30s with the diesel you've got to get to the f450, how's y'alls fuel mileage with those trucks?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
For city/freeway driving, we get between 15 and 17. Towing - depends on winds & hills/mountains, we get between 8 and 10.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #88

Hello future 5er.
My recommendation for a 5er hitch is the Pullrite. I have one and love it. The main reason for the Pullrite is because they use a hook system to grab the kingpin in stead of the common pinch. You need to U-Tube there hitch and see for yourself.
Happy hitch hunting!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #89

Been a couple of days now driving around town in the DRW F350 Platinum Diesel (long wheel base) and one round trip of getting the trailer out of storage to unload it and get it read for trade in. No issues with around town and actually find I like driving it as much as my F150. Much easier to handle than I anticipated and no issue navigating the wider stance on the road. I admit that the rumble of that big honkin diesel engine makes it feel good too. Although inside it's as quiet as my F150 gasser was. The enhanced backup cameras are a big help. I do have to adjust where I park at the store and make sure I can get in and out before I go in but so far no big deal. Pulling our current TT for about 20 miles round trip was very different. Not even noticeable that it was back there and the truck could cruise at 60-65 at about 1,500 RPM (same as when not towing) and no shifting from 5th to 6th gear to maintain it like my F150 did. Net, very happy I decided to just jump into the deep end and get the right truck for the 5th wheel we are moving to. At least until my first time filling up with 48 gallons of diesel.

BTW - I've been spending time on the new mfg 5th wheel forum and just like here, lots and lots of questions and debates and posts on 1/2T vs 3/4T vs 1T, towing vs load capacity, etc. A very common and intensely debated topic all around it seems.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogadel View Post
I'm waiting on my 27.5 RLTS to come in, and I'm glad to hear that your F250 handled the 28.5 RSTS with no problems. I have the same set up as far as the 6.2L and 4:30 gears and 4X2. I've been towing the 37' Cedar Creek at almost 12K lbs. since I bought this truck in 2014. But going to the 27.5 HT and losing a couple thousand pounds which should make me zip around a lot better. Im getting anxious to see my new rig.
We have a 2017 27.5 RLTS and we are very pleased ! We pull it with a 2016 Chev 2500 HD gas, 4x4, (2733) payload door sticker. Our pin weight is 1800 LBS loaded- the 5er weighs 9K loaded. Average 10 miles per gallon. Couldn't ask for a better setup, I think you will be very happy with your setup!
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
We have a 2017 27.5 RLTS and we are very pleased ! We pull it with a 2016 Chev 2500 HD gas, 4x4, (2733) payload door sticker. Our pin weight is 1800 LBS loaded- the 5er weighs 9K loaded. Average 10 miles per gallon. Couldn't ask for a better setup, I think you will be very happy with your setup!
Archie:
What hitch do you have in your TV?

Old 05-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #92

Quote:
Archie:
What hitch do you have in your TV?

We have a Reese 20K- our unit came with the Revolution pin box( no need of a slider hitch)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #93

New to 5th Wheel Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
We have a Reese 20K- our unit came with the Revolution pin box( no need of a slider hitch)
Are you happy with the Revolution pin box?
In other words, if you had a choice would it be on your next 5'er
I heard some complaints on how their 5'er tracked when the Revolution engaged

Old 05-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #94

Quote:
Are you happy with the Revolution pin box?
In other words, if you had a choice would it be on your next 5'er
I heard some complaints on how their 5'er tracked when the Revolution engaged

Yes I would definitely go with the Revolution, it is very forgiving when hooking up, because it can move left or right. I also feel like the 5" to 6" clearance between bed rails and coach isn't as critical because the pin box does not swing across the bed rails as in a conventional pin box. As far as tracking goes not a issue what so ever.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
For city/freeway driving, we get between 15 and 17. Towing - depends on winds & hills/mountains, we get between 8 and 10.
Ditto on mileage. With my 6.0 diesel I used to get around 11.2 miles per gallon towing but 15 to 18 on the highway. The loss of 2 to 3 miles per gallon towing with the gas engine is more than compensated by the extra cost of everything related to maintenance on the diesel. And up till recently the cost of diesel fuel was 25 to 30 cents or more per gallon over the cost of gas. For me that was enough to leave the diesel behind after having had 3 of them. But to each person their needs may be different and I respect that, I just felt gas was a better choice for me.
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote