Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

Newbe leveling question

New to FW and still waiting for my babies due date but reading all I can.
Looking thru the online Pinnacle book it talks about leveling. First step states unit should be supported with front jacks or left connected to tow vehicle. Everything I have read never mentioned that I can lv hooked up like I have done numerous times traveling with my TT for just one night stops. So tell me if this is correct. Stop for an over nighter, leave connected, drop landing gear just to touch ground, extend the four jack extensions to just about touch than hit auto level or do I leave landing gear up? Do the landing gear jacks also adjust when you hit auto level?
Rock
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

Only thing about being hooked up still while leveling is you transfer that additional weight of the vehicle to the leveling feet and tongue jack.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control
Derale 13950 Atomic-Cool Remote Transmission Cooler
Jon-Laura N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

While I can't comment on an auto-level system...

The manual leveling techniques generally agreed to around here include leaving the trailer hitched in order to drive the trailer's wheels onto blocks on the low side to level left-to-right. Then unhitch and level front-to-back using the tongue jack.

Generally, if you have an automated system, you have to understand the underlying engineering. What were the people thinking when they designed this thing? Read the manual (2-5 times) then try it in the real world (Camp Driveway) following the directions. Precisely. Step. By. Step. Then move the trailer and do it again.

Watch for error codes, odd sounds, imbalances, etc.

Once you get the hang of the thing, take it camping and get frustrated with it all over again. (I'm a computer programmer. And I HATE over-automation.)

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Newbe leveling question

I would NOT recommend hitting auto level while hooked up !! When I stop for the night and don't want to unhook I manually lower the front to take a little weight off the truck and manually lower the rear just enough to stabilize . With most autolevel they tell you to disconnect and pull the truck clear because the front will dip down first . When traveling across country and stop late and leave early we stay connected quite often . Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service !
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. It never crossed my mind to lv connected until I read the Jayco Manuel
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Old 10-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

When we stop for an overnighter while traveling between two points, we just stay hooked up and sleep in our bed for a few hours. This is if we are at a travel center, rest area (some you can stay at for 8 hours), or Wal-Mart. Have never had a problem in the past five years we have been doing this.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #7

Even with the Ground Control 2 or 3 systems, when you situate yourself on site, look for 1.3-1.5 degrees max left to right imbalance, if you have more, keep a set of like camco type leveling blocks, put a pair or one under each of your low side wheels. That should get you back below 1.3-1.5. If you're up over 2 degrees you will need another level (one block centered over two each wheel). Drive up onto them then disconnect and auto level. The heavier the rig the less lifting capable, so light 5ers with this system will have more tolerance. Those with heavy 5ers like myself (16klbs typical load) think of this system as a fine tuning leveling system. You have to do the heavy lifting (over 1.3-1.5 degrees left or right off level to begin with).
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

For overnighters, keep it hooked and jacks up. You are just napping and won't notice too much bounce.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #9

I would not hit autolevel while hooked up. You run the risk of the trailer trying to lift your truck. One thing I learned from trial and frustrating error is, if you are parking at a site that slopes down from the front of the trailer to back, then extend the front jacks manually much less than usual. The front jacks have at least twice the travel than the rears. One time the auto level on my 2015 KTPS Pinnacle lifted both right wheels off of the ground at an unlevel site. I was shocked that the eletric jacks are so powerful.
Jack 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #10

The problem for just overnighting is access to stove and just about everything if slides stay closed. If u r side to side level why can u not open slides without leveling if hooked up? In other threads it has been brought up to level before using slides but no one has seen that on any dealer lot. All just have landing gear down. Guess once I get use to a FW unhooking for a night will be no big deal
Old 10-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #11

I would always disconnect from the TV. That is the best thing about auto leveling. All you need to do is raise the front of the RV high enough to disengage the hitch and then push the auto level button. You can set the auto level system to return to the right height when you are ready to hookup in the AM. Only move the TV forward a foot or so to disconnect. Once you do this a few times it is really quick. Then you can open any slide you want without being concerned if it is level.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #12

When u say just move forward a foot or two would u not want the bed to be clear of the FW? By reading about auto level when u use landing gear to raise off the hitch than auto level, does the landing gear drop the front if high before the four jacks do their level thing? Or does the landing gear height stay where u left it and just the four jacks than only work?
Rock
Old 10-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #13

If you park on a relatively flat area the front landing gear does not move but a few inches. When you push the auto level button the rear gear goes down first then the front and back work together to level up. If you have the six point leveling system the center gear will then extend. If you happen to be on a hill, move the TV forward enough to clear the hitch pin. Hitching up again will become easy.

Something I found to make things easy to hitch up by myself was to get a receiver to trailer alignment ball. You can get them for a couple of dollars at a Harbor Freight store. Basically it is a tennis ball on an tube that looks like an antenna that is able to extend. It has a magnetic base. I put this directly behind the center of my 5th wheel hitch. This allows me to know exactly where the center of the hitch is when I am backing up to the hitch pin. I have a short bed truck and have difficulty seeing my hitch in the mirror. They ball also works well if you add a tool box behind your cab.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #14

Skijl
I like ur tennis ball idea I also have a short bed an a slider hitch. So from what u said I should not worry about the FW hitting the tv. Can u stop leveling asap if it gets close?
Rock
Old 10-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #15

Yes you can stop the landing gear movement instantly for any reason. There is a main power switch on the control box that stops all movement if you turn it off. You will find the landing gear moves at a snails pace so you have plenty of time watch what's going on.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #16

skijLw
Thanks for the info

Rock
Old 10-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
Yes you can stop the landing gear movement instantly for any reason. There is a main power switch on the control box that stops all movement if you turn it off. You will find the landing gear moves at a snails pace so you have plenty of time watch what's going on.
I'll have to disagree with that.. Ground Control 3.0 moves fairly quickly, twice as fast as Ground Control 2.0.
If you had regular electric jacks before, then close to 3 times as fast.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #18

Well now I will unhook and move truck straight forward till clear before leveling just in case. Just reading my Reese book about hook up it says after locked close tailgate hook up wires and do pull check. That sounds dumb why would u want tailgate closed doing a pull check? If truck hitch was not locked u would move fwd and pin box would hit tailgate. On a SB if hitch was in maneuver position u only have a couple feet before tailgate
Rock
Old 10-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I'll have to disagree with that.. Ground Control 3.0 moves fairly quickly, twice as fast as Ground Control 2.0.
If you had regular electric jacks before, then close to 3 times as fast.
I may stand corrected on the speed of the landing gear. My experience is with electric auto levelers on a 2014 Eagle Premier and a 2015 Pinnacle. The amount of movement when leveling on the RV would not change.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #20

skijLw
No problem I hope to find out in a couple of weeks. Was hoping for a vin number since they give to dealer week before ship date and mine was Oct 14
Rock