Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

No battery

Hello all, new to the forum and new to camper ownership in general. Just bought a 1999 Designer 2930 and have been cleaning it up and getting to know it.
The side battery compartment is empty. Looks like there's a green, fused hot wire and 2 white wires in there. I want to look into grabbing a deep cycle for it and am wondering where the white wires attach. I'm used to seeing automotive red = hot, black = ground or household black = hot, white = neutral, bare ground.
Previous owner had a new converter put in a year or so ago but never mentioned anything about the missing battery.
Inspector 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #2

RV 12 volt systems are wired to residential standards for some strange reason.. so the white wires should be your ground - wires..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
RV 12 volt systems are wired to residential standards for some strange reason.. so the white wires should be your ground - wires..
Thanks Seann. As stated, this is all new to me and I'm learning as I go. I haven't poked around in the manuals nearly enough yet. The previous owner replaced the converter so I'll check that manual and see if there are any battery recommendations there.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #4

If all you've got are white wires and a green wire, there are some 'missing'.

You'll have to root around the whole area for:
BATT + to/from the converter (12 ga or thicker, probably black, may include a fuse or circuit breaker)
Breakaway power +12V to the breakaway switch (14 ga or 16 ga, ??color??, unfused)
Tongue Jack (if equipped) +12V will be fused (carry spares, they blow easily).

Enjoy your new-to-you portable house!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
If all you've got are white wires and a green wire, there are some 'missing'.

You'll have to root around the whole area for:
BATT + to/from the converter (12 ga or thicker, probably black, may include a fuse or circuit breaker)
Breakaway power +12V to the breakaway switch (14 ga or 16 ga, ??color??, unfused)
Tongue Jack (if equipped) +12V will be fused (carry spares, they blow easily).

Enjoy your new-to-you portable house!
Thanks Mike. All that can be seen poking into the battery compartment are the wires pictured. The green is fused and marked positive (+). As pictured it's wire nutted to a black that disappears. Both whites are marked negative (-).
I need to investigate more. Maybe there are more tucked in closer to the converter. The front landing gear jacks are indeed electric. Right now everything including the slide out is working strictly off plug in power.
I'm not really liking the looks of those crimped on terminals. Definitely need to be replaced and maybe a little shrink wrap around them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0319.jpg  
Old 08-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
Thanks Mike. All that can be seen poking into the battery compartment are the wires pictured. The green is fused and marked positive (+). As pictured it's wire nutted to a black that disappears. Both whites are marked negative (-).
I need to investigate more. Maybe there are more tucked in closer to the converter. The front landing gear jacks are indeed electric. Right now everything including the slide out is working strictly off plug in power.
I'm not really liking the looks of those crimped on terminals. Definitely need to be replaced and maybe a little shrink wrap around them.
From your description, the electric tongue jack has been directly wired to the converter's BATT + line and routed elsewhere. That's gonna take some digging to find. But the clue will be a 12 ga or 10 ga wire connected to a 16 ga wire. Chase the tongue jack's wiring as it comes down the post and disappears into the bodywork. The connection won't be far.

You can confirm the green into black as the breakaway: Check for voltage to ground. It should be zero or floating. Then check continuity to ground. It should be open. Then yank the breakaway lanyard enough to pull out the plastic plug. You should see a dead short to ground. Reinstall the plastic plug and you should see open again.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #7

Looks simple enough. Both white wires have white minus(-) tape on them. These are negative wires. The green wire has white plus(+) tape on it. This is a positive wire. if you have a battery charger, connect it and check out all of the 12 volt operation to see what doesn't work.
Camp On!
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

I bought a new Interstate deep cycle yesterday. Cleaned things up, cut the previous ends off and installed new ones. Green to (+) and both whites to (-). Tried the lights on 12v and they're working. Then hooked up my Pro Logix charger and left it on a 2 amp charge til it hit 100%.
Guy at the Interstate store said that most people run dual batteries. There's room in the compartment and I'll probably do this before it's all said & done. Will most likely have electric sites most of the time but you never know.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #9

Glad its working. Adventure awaits.

Camp On!
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
Guy at the Interstate store said that most people run dual batteries. There's room in the compartment and I'll probably do this before it's all said & done. Will most likely have electric sites most of the time but you never know.
Just remember regular flooded batteries (with water filling caps) can not be put in the storage compartments unless they are enclosed in a storage box with vents to the outside of the TT.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Just remember regular flooded batteries (with water filling caps) can not be put in the storage compartments unless they are enclosed in a storage box with vents to the outside of the TT.

Don
Good advice. Thanks for the heads up.