Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

No Juice to 12v plug!

The 12 v plug in the bedroom (Eagle Ht 28.5RSTS) has no power. The plug is paired with 2 USB ports that both work fine. All other 12v in the 5er work, incl, all lights, radio. Wiring appears fine and there are no EVIDENT fuses blown. Rig is brand new. Thoughts?
Roy Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #2

Sounds like a bad plug. I would get it replaced on warrenty.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

I have a 12V plug in the hall wall below the electric switch panel in my White Hawk that, like the OP's , doesn't have power to it. I checked it with a multi meter and zippo. Its in a stupid location and I never used it, but checked it recentily and found the problem.

My question is how to remove the plug without messing up the wall? Are they just spring loaded and shoved thru the hole? Might be able to get inside the wall by removing the switch cabinet but hate to potentially mess up the wiring in there to try to fix something that I haven't used in 3 years.

Any Ideas?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #4

Sometimes it's simply a daisy chained GFCI that needs to be reset. Not saying thats the issue, but always worth a first look.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
Site Team

A GFCI breaker has nothing to do with the DC side of the power.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #6

Thanks, Skismuggs! Taking it in Friday for the Dealership to take a look. So simple a plug seems hard to imagine it's bad but ya never know. Only want it for occasional use of Furrion camera when parked. Basically just want ALL electronics to work! Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

I have a 2017 29.5 BHDS and had the same issue. Looks like the plug was wired in backwards. I took the outlet off the wall and switched the wires in the back. The USB plugs still work and now the 12V plug works too.

Just pop off trim and remove four screws. Thats it.
Wilmz5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #8

Wilmz5er--You NAILED IT! In retrospect, I should have thought of and tried your solution but i didnt even THINK of it! Brain dead! Tonight, as you suggested,I switched the connections and voila! POWER! Now once a year (kidding, I think) I can hookup my FURRION rear view, observation camera from the bedroom when camping...lol...You da man, sir. Thank you!!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I have a 12V plug in the hall wall below the electric switch panel in my White Hawk that, like the OP's , doesn't have power to it. I checked it with a multi meter and zippo. Its in a stupid location and I never used it, but checked it recentily and found the problem.

My question is how to remove the plug without messing up the wall? Are they just spring loaded and shoved thru the hole? Might be able to get inside the wall by removing the switch cabinet but hate to potentially mess up the wiring in there to try to fix something that I haven't used in 3 years.

Any Ideas?
Would not be surprised that Wimz5er solution on this page works for you also. Carefully pull the 4 screws into 1/4 inch plywood and reverse the plugs o the12 switch.. just be carefull and all should tighten back up just fine.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Fowler View Post
Would not be surprised that Wimz5er solution on this page works for you also. Carefully pull the 4 screws into 1/4 inch plywood and reverse the plugs o the12 switch.. just be carefull and all should tighten back up just fine.
Problem is there aren't any screws, appears outlet is inserted thru the hole in the wall and then tightened with a nut on the back side [inside the wall[. I looked at replacement plugs available and many have this type of installation. Looks like I will have to pull the main switch cabinet that is approx. 6" above the outlet and reach the outlet from inside the opening. It will be too tight to switch the wires without backing off the nut and pulling the outlet out thru the wall. Don't think my problem is switched wires, since I have tested it with my multi meter and get nothing. If recersed, I would still get a reading.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote