Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

North Point 377RLBH Winterization Questions

Going to be winterizing our 2016 377RLBH for the first time this weekend. This is our 3rd camper, but first one with the "Utility dock" in the basement. Previously, the water heater bypass was three valves next to the heater itself. Am I correct in thinking that the valves / levers in the utility dock do the same thing? Or do I need to find the valves somewhere in the camper by the heater (on my older camper, they were behind a false cabinet)?

We have the residential fridge. Is the best way to winterize the icemaker just to run antifreeze through the fridge filter water lines and manually forwarding the icemaker until pink comes out? With this method, I assume I will just replace the fridge filter next season.

If I recall from my walk-through, the low point drains are behind the central vac panel in the basement and under the kitchen sink, also behind a false panel. Are there any others?

I know there is a valve under the stove. But, am guessign that is a on / off valve for the fridge. If I am running antifreeze to the fridge, do I need to worry abou that valve at all?

Anything else I should be wary of?

Thanks,
Brian
brian918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #2

Take it for what it's worth but the manual says do not use antifreeze in the residential refrigerator. It tells you to blow the lines out with air, turn off the valve then you can antifreeze the rest of the trailer. At least that''s what my 383flfs manual said. Plus if it's the same filter as my fridge in my home that filter is about $130. Kinda expensive to be tossing out every year.
Hoppy220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

I received mixed messages regarding antifreeze and the residential refrigerator. I was told that if I run antifreeze through filter, it would have to be replaced. A replacement filter for my refrigerator costs about $40.00 on Amazon. I decided to blow out the lines first, shut the valves to the refrigerator then run antifreeze through the rest of the trailer. I also remove the filter from the trailer water system. Seemed to work fine for me last winter. I've actually decided not to open the valves to the refrigerator. We found we don't use the water or ice maker. Don't want to have to deal with it anymore.

Jim
Old 10-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #4

You have a whole unit water filter behind the dock behind a false panel. Be sure to remove the filter and put the case back on prior to winterizing!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

Last year I shut the valve off under the sink , then opened the fridge low point drain and let out the water....held the water dispenser open so air would get in and drain the water backwards. I think I just got lucky nothing froze last year (it never got super cold here)

This year I did the same thing. Then I wasn't happy about it and bought the bypass filter (filter housing with nothing in it), hooked air up to the fridge low point drain valve and pressed the water dispenser. There is A LOT of water still in there!
Then with the air pressure still in the line, I cycled the ice maker and more water came out there.

Im thinking of leaving the bypass filter in next season and just filter the water with the whole house filter. The water pressure is much better in the dispenser without using the real filter. And no more 40$ filters to buy.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:16 AM   #6

Thank you to all.

Thank you all for your help!

Everything went fine except for the fridge. My plan was to run antifreeze through the fridge filter (which is a $19 replacement Amazon) and buy a new one for next year. The problem is the filter wouldn't let the antifreeze through. I assume it is too viscous. I, too, ordered a Bypass from Amazon. It is unseasonably warm here. So, even though campground turned the water off this week (we are at an annual site), I have time to go back to try again in the next couple of weeks before freeze is expected.

Yes, I was shocked at how much water came out of fridge. It just kept flowing and flowing until it finally stopped (nothing else would come out). There was pink fluid on the inlet side of fridge filter, but clear on outlet. It has to be plugging that filter.

I agree, bypass plug will probably stay in permanently from now on due to the whole house filter.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

How do I get a bypass filter for the fridge? I didn't know there was such a thing. Do you have a part #? Thanks.

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian918 View Post
Thank you to all.

Thank you all for your help!

Everything went fine except for the fridge. My plan was to run antifreeze through the fridge filter (which is a $19 replacement Amazon) and buy a new one for next year. The problem is the filter wouldn't let the antifreeze through. I assume it is too viscous. I, too, ordered a Bypass from Amazon. It is unseasonably warm here. So, even though campground turned the water off this week (we are at an annual site), I have time to go back to try again in the next couple of weeks before freeze is expected.

Yes, I was shocked at how much water came out of fridge. It just kept flowing and flowing until it finally stopped (nothing else would come out). There was pink fluid on the inlet side of fridge filter, but clear on outlet. It has to be plugging that filter.

I agree, bypass plug will probably stay in permanently from now on due to the whole house filter.
I think that your fridge filter is taking out the pink color of the antifreeze!!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:47 PM   #9

I ordered the wrong one but I only had to cut off an extra piece of plastic on the side with a knife to make it fit.
I don't want to steer you wrong with the wrong part number.
They are on Amazon. I don't know which is the actual correct part number.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #10

To be honest, my first thought was that the filter was removing the pink colorant. However, I would think it would still flow. It eventually quit flowing which led me to believe it was just too viscous to be pumped through the media.

I have the Frigidaire, which uses the ULTRAWF filter. I was not able to locate a bypass on Amazon for this model. However, I did find a bypass for the WF3CB filter (search Amazon for "242294502 - Bypass for WF3CB Filter"). It does say in the reviews and questions that people were able to make this fit by making adjustments to the plastic guides as Klassic indicated. Supposedly, the connections are the same, but it is a couple inches shorter with different guides. Please note, I have not received this bypass yet, so I can't confirm if it works or not.

My plan for next year is to probably leave the bypass filter in the fridge and just rely on the whole house filter.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

Quote:
To be honest, my first thought was that the filter was removing the pink colorant. However, I would think it would still flow. It eventually quit flowing which led me to believe it was just too viscous to be pumped through the media.

I have the Frigidaire, which uses the ULTRAWF filter. I was not able to locate a bypass on Amazon for this model. However, I did find a bypass for the WF3CB filter (search Amazon for "242294502 - Bypass for WF3CB Filter"). It does say in the reviews and questions that people were able to make this fit by making adjustments to the plastic guides as Klassic indicated. Supposedly, the connections are the same, but it is a couple inches shorter with different guides. Please note, I have not received this bypass yet, so I can't confirm if it works or not.

My plan for next year is to probably leave the bypass filter in the fridge and just rely on the whole house filter.

Good luck!
Yes. That is the bypass I got. And exactly how you described.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:

Good luck!
Thanks for the info! Just ordered this on amazon for under $20. Should alleviate the poor water pressure performance coming out of the fridge door!

For what it's worth, I was able to pressurize through the original filter and get the water out of my fridge. Hard to tell if I got it all though, as these simply weren't built with freezing temps in mind, and certainly weren't made for rv antifreeze!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #13

Sorry, I should have posted a follow-up. That filter did work after I shaved off the additional guide. Took about 2-3 minutes. After plugging the bypass filter in, I was able to get an additional 1-1.5 cups of water out of the water dispenser before it started flowing pink. Before turning off the fridge for the winter, I let it make two trays of pink ice cubes.

My plan for spring is to flush through dispenser with lots of water. For the ice maker, I will plan to just dump several trays of ice down the sink followed by a wash / wipedown of the ice storage bin. After that, I suspect it will be ok.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #14

This may be a dumb question, but with camping season a couple of months away I need to figure this out. When you de-winterize the 377RLBH how do you deal with the water filter? I know that the filter is out now, and I have a new one to put in when I de-winterize it, but do you leave the canister on and run all of the faucets until all of the antifreeze is gone, then put the new filter in?

mjudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #15

De-Winterize

This may be a dumb question, but with camping season a couple of months away I need to figure this out. When you de-winterize the 377RLBH how do you deal with the water filter? I know that the filter is out now, and I have a new one to put in when I de-winterize it, but do you leave the canister on and run all of the faucets until all of the antifreeze is gone, then put the new filter in?

Old 01-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #16

I assume you're talking about the whole house filter.... just unscrew it and dump it. It will be that much less pink you need to pump out.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #17

If you are talking about the Fridge bypass, I plan on just hooking up to city water and then running water through the fridge water / ice until it turns clear. At that point, I will remove the bybass filter (saving for next winter) and put a new fridge filter in place. I will probably leave the bypass in place for a couple of day to make sure I get all the residual antifreeze out of the lines. I am doing this because the antifreeze will plug up the filter (when I tried to winterize it). I figure a couple days of unfiltered water won't hurt anyone...plus I'll be dumping the first couple days of ice anyways to get all the pink cubes out.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #18

The whole house filter is the one I am referring to. I do not have the residential fridge. So basically I turn on all the faucets and it will empty into the canister then dump the canister and put the new filter in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #19

The canister is already full. Leave the faucets closed or else when you unscrew the can the pink will flow back and onto your floor.
If you want, open the low point drains and open the faucets to let out a bunch of pink, then take off the canister...dump it...close everything back up and run water through the system.
Then open the low points up again to get any pink residue out. When your satisfied then put the filter in at the end.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #20

Does anybody happen to have the Part # for the whole home filter in the 17' 377RLBH? I assumed it was in the manual... It isn't.