Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #31

Will say that I was highly disappointed to look under mine and see that only the front axle has brakes. Would think that a 44' 16,000 lb trailer would have brakes on both axles.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy220 View Post
Will say that I was highly disappointed to look under mine and see that only the front axle has brakes. Would think that a 44' 16,000 lb trailer would have brakes on both axles.
What???
You're joking.

klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
What???
You're joking.
X2 on that! I'm going to have to check that on mine as soon as I get it back from the dealer! There's going to be a serious discussion on safety litigation if that's the case!
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
X2 on that! I'm going to have to check that on mine as soon as I get it back from the dealer! There's going to be a serious discussion on safety litigation if that's the case!
Yeah. Double-check that!

Even my dinky 5K# has brakes on all 4 wheels.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #35

Dumba$$ attack on my part. Both axles do have brakes. Sorry
Hoppy220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #36

The drum brakes should be self-adjusting (mine are). When I check my hitch lock I put brakes on full and try pulling the trailer (engine @ idle) and it'll hold the truck back.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #37

Just to chime in, our 2017 North Point, delivered on May 27 to us in Middlebury IN, at the dealer, had no brake grab whatsoever ever with SmartBrake controller set to 10 in two categories. The truck still pulled away with no throttle at idle or 700rpm. We already had a disc brake kit on board to get installed while there. First 100 miles were scary. Now controller is backed down to 30% and trailer brakes still lockup. Everyone, take out a loan, get disc brakes. Should only cost below $3000 installed. I sold the 4 factory drum brakes for $125. Caution buying the parts up front, cost us an extra $700 in labor as etrailers partlist had short wiring and missing actuator bracket. Then we later found the installer overtightened 3 castle nuts and caused excess heat on grease seals to send grease leakage all over wheels and rotors and bearings had burn marks. That all was another $700 expense when down in TX. Funny thing was, I took it back to the installers and showed the condition before future TX repair and they said was all normal- with signs of grease streaks down the outside of all 4 wheels. Now after 1000 miles since 3 new bearings, re packed grease and new seals, no grease signs anywhere inside and outside of wheels. Finally happy again.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #38

Do yourself a favor and install a electric over hydraulic disc brake kit and you'll see just how good trailer brakes can be. Don't think about the price it's cheaper than shortening the hood on your tow vehicle!
sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If your new trailer was towed from the factory the brakes should be already burnished and broken in.
Norty1,
My trailer came to Atlanta on the back of an auto transport trailer - I know because I saw them unload it.
Also - even if they had towed it - they most likely would have done almost all of those miles on expressway. I'll bet you could drive from Ind. to GA in 12 hours and not apply the brakes more than a dozen times.

My brakes didn't 'adjust' properly for over a year because I was driving to/from state parks for weekend camping and most of that distance was on expressways.

It's not number of miles its driven, it's number of times you hit the brakes - and it takes a LOT of times if the brakes are starting out well out of adjustment. That and the "break in" of the magnets and shoes to the drums and it can take a while - and nobody warns new owners about this.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
snip...
Also - even if they had towed it - they most likely would have done almost all of those miles on expressway. I'll bet you could drive from Ind. to GA in 12 hours and not apply the brakes more than a dozen times.

My brakes didn't 'adjust' properly for over a year because I was driving to/from state parks for weekend camping and most of that distance was on expressways.

It's not number of miles its driven, it's number of times you hit the brakes - and it takes a LOT of times if the brakes are starting out well out of adjustment. That and the "break in" of the magnets and shoes to the drums and it can take a while - and nobody warns new owners about this.
You nailed, BuddyRay!

I was a 'transporter' years ago and I picked up my new trailer in Middlebury and towed it to AZ. I've had lots of practice driving for HOURS every day with minimal braking. (BTW, my truck's OEM brake pads were replaced at ~270,000mi and had about 25% thickness remaining.)

My TT brakes needed a year or so of camping of in AZ before they were broken in and braking well; the ~1,800mi to AZ from IN didn't do it.

I seem to recall that something in the packet of papers I received with my trailer mentioning that the TT brakes needed a break in that required many stops. IMO, this info (warning?) should be on a separate sheet of paper for new owners.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote