Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2016, 05:13 AM   #41

Klassic
I like where u mounted the lighted switch. Should have mine back this weekend from the body shop. Hopefully I can find the wire that powers mine. I called Jayco and they did not know how it was wired in but also said why do you want to disconnect it. He said it is minimal power draw and will not damage camera keeping it powered up. Looking at the fuse that I pulled to shut it off I will probably be shutting off other things in the circuit.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Tom, did you get anywhere with this back up camera install?
With the help of Mustang Don there was no solid idea to make the camera come on by plugging the cable into the truck.
Mustang came up with the idea of using a 1 channel on/off wireless control (around $15 on Amazon). Keep one transmitter in the truck and one in the ground control controller box, to turn the camera on or off at the trailer.
Good plan, and sort of high tech, and convenient if you forget to turn it on while driving.
For me, I would end up losing a remote and without installing a little LED light to show if the camera was on or off, I wouldn't know if it was on or off.

So I kept it simple and installed a illuminated rocker switch beside the controller. I can't hook up or take the trailer off the truck without opening the little door. I will see the switch and turn the camera on or off.
I just found you post tonight. Looks like you solved your question of how to power the camera. From the looks of your dash picture, your truck is a newer Ford? Does it have the factory wired 7 pin socket? If so isn't the middle pin on the harness power to backup lights? You could tap into that wire on the trailer side and only have power to the camera when the vehicle is in reverse, unless you wanted power to the camera at all times when your connected to the truck. I have a 2015 Ram 2500, and will be exploring the option of tapping into the reverse light power.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #43

E

I already used the reverse light middle pin for my reverse lights. Here is that thread if you are interested
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...res-33346.html

Yes I could have used it, and I could have just put a switch on the other end of the fuse (the 7way truck connection has its own reverse light fuse) and been able turn the camara on/off from the truck.

So far so good with the illuminated switch beside the ground control panel. I can't see the illumination when it is really bright out though, and it's not the end of the world if I leave it on. I will eventually see I forgot to turn it off.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
we had issues when going down the road with our wireless system. When going 40 mph we would have 1 bar or loose reception so I spent $65 dollars on a 35 foot extension cable and now we get 4 bars while moving at 70mph. Just put the antenna on our front AC cover and used sealant to affix the cable to the roof.
Where did you get the cable from, and do you have a link to a site for it?

Looking at purchasing the Furion Observation camera and am concerned with the reception.

Thanks,
Greg
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
gman03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #45

[QUOTE=Grumpy;398708]
Quote:
The factory ones that I saw have an antenna built into the camera.../QUOTE]

They must have changed. Mine includes the Garmin RV760 and the transmitter is in the front cabinet. I leave the camera on while driving, but still get all the warning tones and notifications(speed limit changes, bad curves, low clearance etc). I also use the traffic portion when we get into back-ups.
Grumpy,

I have the newer Garmin RV660 (which doesn't sound like it's a newer model, but it is) and it seems there is only one camera from Garmin that is compatible (BC 30). The reviews aren't all that great concerning picture quality. How's the picture quality on your unit?

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -St. (Mother) Teresa
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #46

I have a Kenwood screen DVD player in my truck. Wondering what I would need to make it operational
1stnlast59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #47

When I made this thread I had a 2012 f350 with an eclipse DVD/nav head unit.
It had an extra composite video in.
I have a 2017 f350 now and had to go a different route to get the extra composite vid in and still use sync3.

Anyway, the output of the wireless receiver is an RCA video connection. If your head unit has an input available then you’re good.

Since this thread I found better components to use for the cam and wireless transmitter, as both that I posted about here failed
Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #48

Hey Klassic! Where have you been? [emoji3]

What did you put into the new truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #49

Quote:
When I made this thread I had a 2012 f350 with an eclipse DVD/nav head unit.
It had an extra composite video in.
I have a 2017 f350 now and had to go a different route to get the extra composite vid in and still use sync3.

Anyway, the output of the wireless receiver is an RCA video connection. If your head unit has an input available then you’re good.

Since this thread I found better components to use for the cam and wireless transmitter, as both that I posted about here failed
Klassic, what are you using for better components? Looking at your setup, and seeing that I have the same 5th wheel they should work out great.

Thanks
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
gman03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Hey Klassic! Where have you been? [emoji3]

What did you put into the new truck?

I’m here..just reading. I just have nothing to say.
Totally lost in your thread now.

I had to get a new cam because the old one filled with condensation.
This one looks the same, but has better specs.
The picture is better.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B018AR...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then after I fixed that, the wireless went for a crap.
I always thought it was crappy to begin with.
This one doesn’t break up any were near as much
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

THEN. I did some body damage and ripped the back corner of the driver side at the bumper and pulled the camera wire in half.
Had that fixed and needed to run a new wire. Uggg.

To get the Ford Sync3 to work with an external composite signal, I got that video interface from Italy I messaged you about a while ago.
I also hooked up a front camera on the grill too since it had more inputs.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #51

Klassic

I ended up getting a lock pick for for my truck so I could use the factory screen. Mine is hard wired to the camera using a quick connect cable system from Rear view safety. I'm also thinking of adding a front cam.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #52

My interface just “hijacks” the factory screen. All the Sync stuff still works in the background.
I don’t think there is a lock pick for 2017’s yet.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
Old 10-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #53

Well crap. I guess I jumped the gun on this deal because I order it yesterday. My wife uses amazon more than me. How hard is it to return stuff if I don't want it.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #54

You can try to cancel the order.
If it’s too late to cancel it easy to send back.
They take everything back
Old 10-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #55

The camera was already shipped but I canceled the wireless setup. Looking for another as we speak. U like that other better u said. I'm assuming u still put the transmitter in the propane area. where do u put the receiver. Under the dash somewhere behind the radio?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnlast59 View Post
The camera was already shipped but I canceled the wireless setup. Looking for another as we speak. U like that other better u said. I'm assuming u still put the transmitter in the propane area. where do u put the receiver. Under the dash somewhere behind the radio?
Yes same spot. It’s tiny.
And the receiver is quite small too.
I have the receiver in the dash with the head unit. I think that’s why I get some occasional lines across the screen way less then the other receiver.
If I would have put it behind the rear seat on the back wall, I don’t think it would break up at all.

Keep in mind none of this is an HD picture. But it is still pretty good for under 100 bucks and using an existing screen.