Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2016, 05:13 AM   #41
I like where u mounted the lighted switch. Should have mine back this weekend from the body shop. Hopefully I can find the wire that powers mine. I called Jayco and they did not know how it was wired in but also said why do you want to disconnect it. He said it is minimal power draw and will not damage camera keeping it powered up. Looking at the fuse that I pulled to shut it off I will probably be shutting off other things in the circuit.

2016 Pinnacle 36 FBTS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4
SB SRW 5.9
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #42
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Tom, did you get anywhere with this back up camera install?
With the help of Mustang Don there was no solid idea to make the camera come on by plugging the cable into the truck.
Mustang came up with the idea of using a 1 channel on/off wireless control (around $15 on Amazon). Keep one transmitter in the truck and one in the ground control controller box, to turn the camera on or off at the trailer.
Good plan, and sort of high tech, and convenient if you forget to turn it on while driving.
For me, I would end up losing a remote and without installing a little LED light to show if the camera was on or off, I wouldn't know if it was on or off.

So I kept it simple and installed a illuminated rocker switch beside the controller. I can't hook up or take the trailer off the truck without opening the little door. I will see the switch and turn the camera on or off.
I just found you post tonight. Looks like you solved your question of how to power the camera. From the looks of your dash picture, your truck is a newer Ford? Does it have the factory wired 7 pin socket? If so isn't the middle pin on the harness power to backup lights? You could tap into that wire on the trailer side and only have power to the camera when the vehicle is in reverse, unless you wanted power to the camera at all times when your connected to the truck. I have a 2015 Ram 2500, and will be exploring the option of tapping into the reverse light power.

Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #43

I already used the reverse light middle pin for my reverse lights. Here is that thread if you are interested

Yes I could have used it, and I could have just put a switch on the other end of the fuse (the 7way truck connection has its own reverse light fuse) and been able turn the camara on/off from the truck.

So far so good with the illuminated switch beside the ground control panel. I can't see the illumination when it is really bright out though, and it's not the end of the world if I leave it on. I will eventually see I forgot to turn it off.

2016 North Point 341RLTS
2012 F-350 Lariat CC SRW
klassic is online now   Reply With Quote