Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

NorthPoint back up camera mod...cheap.

I installed a wired back up camera because the wireless cameras are ridiculously priced with the needed moniter and I don't need a moniter. Also I hear they lose signal while on the road because they are so far back.

Here's what I did.
This camera comes with 50' of wire that sends the video signal and the 12volts and comes with the adapter to rca connection...40 bucks.

Clicky to Amazon
Amazon.com: Pyle PLCMTR5 Weatherproof Rearview Backup Camera for Bus, Truck, Trailer and Van (Night Vision Cam, Dual DC 12-24V): Cell Phones & Accessories

I ran the wire behind the vinyl strip of trim across the top roof edge and down behind the driver side edge trim. It fits in there perfectly and it can't be seen, except where it comes out to attach to the camera. Then under the trailer, put it in split loom, zip tied it to the gas line, and brought it up into the propane compartment.

Since I already have a moniter in my truck that is part of my aftermarket stereo/nav system thenI didn't need a moniter, but there is a 5 inch moniter on Amazon for $22 that another forum member bought and said it was quality.
My stereo has an aux video input that I can keep on while driving and see behind, or shut it off and turn on as needed.

In the propane compartment I mounted this transmitter and mounted the other half at my truck nav moniter and plugged it in to the aux vid input....$13. It works quite well I can move my truck 60 feet away and still get reception.
Clicky Amazon.com: Esky Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for Vehicle Backup Camera / Front Car Camera: Cell Phones & Accessories

The 50' of wire is JUST long enough for my 40' rig to mount the transmitter at the top of the propane compartment. If your rig is 42' then you'll be mounting it near the bottom. Any longer and I'm unsure if there is enough cable.

I can't move my moniter into the trailer like the stock wireless back up camera, but I don't want to. One could, though, with that $22 moniter I mentioned.

So for under 60 bucks I have a "wireless" back up camera (add $22 if you need a moniter) that doesn't lose signal while traveling because the signal only has to travel from the front of the trailer to the truck dash (less then 15')
Instead of paying $500 for factory installed.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

What, no pictures of the install? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
What, no pictures of the install? [emoji3]

There was nothing fun to take pictures of...all the neat stuff was covered up.
That's a when you can tell it's a good install..nothing to see.

I'll take a picture of the camera tomorrow.

Here's some fun.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #4

NorthPoint back up camera mod...cheap.

Thanks Klassic. I think I'm going to follow your lead and make a DIY camera. Does the camera get power from the wireless controller by the propane tank? I assume you have the wireless controller hooked up to the battery?

Old 04-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #5

That's where it gets more interesting.
I haven't done it yet, still waiting for my Amazon parts.
I'm making this system so I never have to think about it, or else I would have just used a connecting wire to the truck and ditched the wireless setup.
If I just hooked the wires to the battery then the camera would be on all the time...that's no good. I don't know why the factory thinks that's good for their wireless camera.
I could put in a simple switch which would be simple. Maybe good for some, but I would never remember to turn it on, or off.

So I'm hooking it up with two Bosch relays so it only comes on when the truck is plugged in. I can't find a double pole single throw Bosch style relay so I have to use two.
One needs to turn on the camera when the truck is plugged in, but still have the connection truck to trailer battery connection. Then when the truck is unplugged, the other relay needs to disconnect the trailer battery from the camera wiring so there's no power to the camera.
That relay also, unfortunately, kills the 12v to the trailer plug end, so there is no more jumping the top two pins of the plug to turn on the rigs marker lights, signalling the bar at the NorthPoint is open.
I could put a switch in for that though.

This is the only thing I can think of besides using a diode to let the truck still send power to the battery, but stop the battery (after) from sending power to the camera.
I figure the diode would have to be in the 12v 20a range and I don't know enough about diodes to spec that out. I don't know if I can twist 10 2a diodes in parallel to achieve this.

If anyone reading this, Mustange...Roy...Subaru?, that can think of a simpler idea or knows what diode I could simply put after the truck 12v and camera connection and before the battery connection.
My double relay system is a little over the top, but all I can come up with.

I simple switch would be simple, but I'm too simple to remember something so simple.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

So couldn't you hook it up to get power from the running lights, just like the wireless stock camera does? Lights on power the camera, lights off no power. That's how I think I'll do mine

Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #7

Jayco leaves that wire hot. So you can take the moniter into the bedroom and still use the camera. That's what all the fuss is on that other thread about were the switch is located. Jayco put in a switch to be able kill the power but only added it for a couple months. I didn't get it on my early build, and guys report they didn't get one on their late builds.
The Jayco tech confirmed I should have had one but I was early.

I could use the light wire, but my trucks light switch is always left on auto. That means I would have to turn it to parking lights or lights on....I will 100% forget to shut that off and will have a dead battery.
Plus in Canada we have daytime running lights, when it's dark I will think I actually have my head lights on, but they won't be.. They will be on the parking light setting I forgot to turn off. I do this all the time, because sometimes I leave the truck running at night and I need to shut the lights off in a parking lot, but when I drive away and put it in drive then the day time running lights come on and then, although a little dimmer, I think the head lights are on but noooo. I'm driving around with no tail lights or real head lights like a dummy.

So short answer, hooking up to the marker lights would never work for me.
Again, too simple. Lol.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

Ok, let's complicate this a little [emoji3]
What if you added a 4 pin trailer connector to the front of your trailer. Attach your transmitter to the power line. Then run the wire to your trucks 4 pin connector ?

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Wesba...FZNafgodS-UCGg

Old 04-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Kinda defeats the purpose of wireless I guess lol

Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

I thought of that too, but although I'm hooking up the trailer cable anyways I didn't think it would be a big deal to hook up another at the same time.
But then I figured there will be times when I think, screw it I don't need the camera for this little trip somewhere, then wish I had connected it, or the cable will be in my way walking behind the truck. Plus I would have to run another wire through the truck to the stereo. All that would add $$.
And this wireless transmitter is so cheap it's funny. I LOVE Amazon.
With this wireless I don't ever have to think about the camera, it's always ready.

The relays are 8 bucks on Amazon and it's a sort of electronic project that's fun.
But some diodes would be just as fun and way simpler. I'm still looking into that possibility.
I just need a guru to answer the question of what kind of diode. . I might have to fire off ANOTHER "help me" PM to Mustang.

I'll let you know how I ended up hooking up the "thoughtless" power system if you want simple like me.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

klassic - You're killing me...Now this will be something else I need to do. If I ever get mine back from the dealership...going on 2 weeks now! I'll be calling tomorrow for an update!
Old 04-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
that doesn't lose signal while traveling because the signal only has to travel from the front of the trailer to the truck dash (less then 15')
But that is how the factory installs are too. The transmitter is located in a front compartment and the monitor is on the dash. And for what it's worth we very, very rarely ever loose signal and then only for a second or two.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #13

Fixed wireless

we had issues when going down the road with our wireless system. When going 40 mph we would have 1 bar or loose reception so I spent $65 dollars on a 35 foot extension cable and now we get 4 bars while moving at 70mph. Just put the antenna on our front AC cover and used sealant to affix the cable to the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
antenna.jpg  
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
we had issues when going down the road with our wireless system. When going 40 mph we would have 1 bar or loose reception so I spent $65 dollars on a 35 foot extension cable and now we get 4 bars while moving at 70mph.
The speed of your vehicle has absolutely no effect on your wireless camera, unless of course your going very, very fast.

"Radio waves travel very quickly through space. Radio waves are a kind of electromagnetic radiation, and thus they move at the speed of light. The speed of light is a little less than 300,000 km per second. At that speed, a beam of light could go around the Earth at the equator more then 7 times in a second."
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But that is how the factory installs are too. The transmitter is located in a front compartment and the monitor is on the dash. And for what it's worth we very, very rarely ever loose signal and then only for a second or two.
The factory ones that I saw have an antenna built into the camera... I didn't see any secondary transmitter inbetween that and the factory moniter, nor have I heard of anyone talk about it and the pre wire consists of only one hot wire at the roof.
On line I see nothing from Voyager that has a intermediate transmitter.
Besides that, mine only cost $60...not 500
Old 04-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #16

There is a 2x2 piece of wood to the right of the middle light. One screw went into it, the other screw is into the luan.

This is where the wire comes out the bottom of the vinyl trim cap and goes under the trailer
Old 04-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #17

Klassic,

Did you remove the vinyl cap or use a fish tape to run the wire? How did you "enter" the vinyl on top?

Old 04-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #18

Just cut a little square notch in the vinyl.
The top corner, where the top and side vinyl meets, I left alone. There is too much caulking.
Cut a little notch in both top and side vinyl and skipped over the corner. You can't really tell cause the wire is black like everything else.

Take out the screw at the bottom of the side vinyl and cut the notch an inch above so you can put the screw back in.
Pull the vinyl out of the track up to the top and pop out the top strip just to the middle. No need to go past halfway.

The vinyl is a breeze to work with when it's warm out.
Then I sealed the notches with liquid black tape from HomeDepot. (The stuff has a thousand uses) Or you could use black silicon, but the liquid will flow into stubborn little voids.
And if you mess up it dries quick and peels off like rubber.
In that picture of the bottom vinyl, that is 1/4" split loom brushed with liquid black tape...it's awesome.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #19

And I tested whether the light below the camera would have any effect on the picture in the dark. I couldn't notice anything.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #20

Awesome, thanks. Couple more questions:
1. Does your cameras picture come thru as normal view or mirrored view (left and right opposite)
2. Yours came with an RCA to 4 pin adapter? I didn't see it included in description