Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

NorthPoint inverter

Does anyone with the inverter/residential fridge notice their inverter fan running for 10ish minutes or so, every hour or so?

It does it with the remote switch on or off when the fridge is running. Not just when the fridge is running on the inverter power, but when on shore power.
The inverter is mounted under the bed and the fan is noisy. I already had the dealer put on rubber mounts. Helped a bit.
It's 40 degrees out, and the case is cold.

I had the same inverter in my SOB, and it did the same thing. I just thought it was broken.
I just called Xantrex and they say it is normal, but they can't really comment on the frequency of the fan turning on, maybe it is slightly out of spec.
I personally think spec should be the fan DOESN'T come on unless it's actually hot or the inverter is being used...not just passing the 120v through.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #2

Man, am I ever glad to see your post! I've had the same problem since I bought this MH last year. Recently I posted on another thread when somebody complained about a noisy fan or something else under their bed. I replied that it could be the inverter. Somebody else answered up and said that it was definitely the converter. Well, I had already verified that it was definitely not the converter but the inverter as that's where the box where the air was coming from.

Sounds like the folks at Xantrex weren't very helpful. The fan comes on for no reason every so often just 'because'. I've experienced the same thing and I know there's no draw on it and it's not too warm either in the unit or outside air. It does this year around no matter the temperature inside or out. And yes, it's rather annoying.

As for what to do about it, guess I don't have an answer other than to open the box and clip the wires to the fan. And that may not be too wise as it could get warm with use. Can't see a good answer from here .
Old 04-29-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

Our does, the book says it's normal. Since it has a built in transfer switch/circuit that is probably electronic it needs cooling. Ours however is in the storage compartment in FLSA.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the clarification Grumpy. I'd still like to kill the fan as I find it annoying. I'm betting there's a bit of overkill going on there but don't know for sure.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #5

It's not that they weren't very helpful, there was no real answer he could give. . He did say as long as there is power going though it the fan will go on.
But he certainly didn't agree that that's a dumb design.
Most electronics can get at least warm to the touch before thy need a fan to cool it and 40 degree air temp shouldn't require a fan coming on at high speed to cool something that isn't really working that hard.
Maybe the fan coulld have a quiet low speed for cooler days.

He did say to take it back to jayco if I was not satisfied the way it performs, but I already know what the answer will be.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Maybe the fan coulld have a quiet low speed for cooler days.

He did say to take it back to jayco if I was not satisfied the way it performs, but I already know what the answer will be.
The problem is really location. Both in our 08 SENECA and now with the 15 PINNACLE it was/is in a storage compartment.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

I assume then Grumpy your fan runs too?
My inverter would be in the same spot as your Pinnacle
It was 40 degrees the other day and a little windy with both basement doors wide open and the fan kept going every once and a while.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I assume then Grumpy your fan runs too?
My inverter would be in the same spot as your Pinnacle
It was 40 degrees the other day and a little windy with both basement doors wide open and the fan kept going every once and a while.
Yes it does, it's cooling internally so ambient temp won't have any affect.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 PM   #9

I sent Jayco an inquiry about the fridge before we bought our unit because I was concerned whether I would have enough juice for all the appliances when we were only connected to 30 amp power. This was their response:

"Thank you for contacting Jayco and your interest in the North Point. The residential fridge option has an inverter to run the fridge. The inverter runs off of batteries, 30 or 50 amp service has nothing to do with running the fridge."

I assume that means it does not pass through 120v when we're on shore power and we should expect the fan to run. Ours runs too but I don't notice it in the bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScottnDebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnDebi View Post

"Thank you for contacting Jayco and your interest in the North Point. The residential fridge option has an inverter to run the fridge. The inverter runs off of batteries, 30 or 50 amp service has nothing to do with running the fridge."
Obviously someone doesn't know how Inverters work. It has a built in transfer switch that will go to shore power when plugged in if it is on.

If their explanation was true, why is there an off/on switch panel for the INVERTER?

This is cut and paste right from XANTREX:

"A built-in transfer switch automatically detects when generator or shore power status changes to ensure power is always available".
Old 04-30-2016, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

"A built-in transfer switch automatically detects when generator or shore power status changes to ensure power is always available".
I'll say one good thing... It doesn't miss a beat when it switches over.
The TV doesn't even flicker when the shore power cuts out.