Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #1

Odor from water system

As the title says, I am getting a rather unpleasant odor from my water. seems to be more from the hot water side than the cold.

is there a way to clean the hot water tank? or should I just hook up the hose and flush the water system for a while?
255eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #2

I am having the same issue?
First time using my hot water tank and a nasty smell from hot water coming out?
Gojays17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #3

If you have been anywhere that uses well water instead of city water that could cause your problem if it has sat unused for a while.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #4

Most likely you need to replace the anode rod in the water heater. Check this link http://www.aricoplumbing.com/waterhe...node-rods.aspx This is usually an easy and inexpensive fix. LW
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #5

Do you drain your water heater after every trip? I neglected to drain my water heater one time and had a sulphur smell from the hot water. Something about microbes or stale water... I don't remember what exactly it was, but it was old water sitting in that 6 gallon tank.

What I ended up doing was making a bleach solution in my fresh water tank and filling my water heater and all my hot water lines with the bleach solution. Let it sit for a 3 or 4 hour drive to wherever we were camping on that trip and drained it out. Flushed some fresh water through at the campground and smell was gone and never came back... but I drain my water lines after EVERY trip now.

City water has a little bit of chlorine and seems to help prevent bacteria buildup. Some campgrounds use well water that doesn't have anything to help with that.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

Sorry that copied link didn't work. Try - http://www.aricoplumbing.com/waterhe...node-rods.aspx
Hope this helps! LW
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Been there , done that. Two months with well water in the hot water tank and an awful smell was the result. The fix is to sanitize the water system with bleach.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Put some lemon juice in your fresh water holding tank when you fill it and your water will stay fresh. I have been doing this for years.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Been there , done that. Two months with well water in the hot water tank and an awful smell was the result. The fix is to sanitize the water system with bleach.
You guys talking about well water and experiencing the water in some parts of the country reaffirm that we live in a great area here in Western Washington where well water is pure and clean and free from the stuff municipalities put in water.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote