Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #1

Cool Odors from bathroom sink

I've been reading other posts about black tank odors but don't see anything regarding black tank odors coming up through my sink drain. Run the water and the odor comes up the drain. Only happens in the bathroom, not the shower or kitchen, which has it's own grey tank. Changed the under cabinet vent valve without any change. Tried conditioners, no luck. Even checked roof vents for critters.
Does the black tank have an overflow into the grey tank contaminating the grey?
Any thoughts?
ourfiver
Old 09-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #2

Your vanity sink should drain into the gray tank not the black tank. Black tank is only for the toilet. They should not be connected in any way. But, your gray tank could be the source of your odor..not sure why running water in your sink would cause the odor to appear, it is more likely when little water has been run and the water in the trap evaporates, allowing gases from the tank to enter the living area. Food particles from the kitchen sink, among other things if not properly rinsed out, can break down and cause odors. Also, if your gray tank valve is left open, you can get sewer gas coming back through your dump hose. Campgrounds typically have a trap below each drain outlet, but, some older campground don't' have this trap.

I would rinse your gray tank well...if your hooked up to a sewer, try keeping your valve closed and, add some bleach into the gray tank.

Good Luck...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

Hope you don't have a dead critter in the P-trap. Sounds like something is stuck in there and the odors arise when you run water down the drain. Does it drain slowly?

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
DEM

Check all piping under the sink. Is a joint loose or a pipe cracked? That's the only way I could imagine the odor if the vent valve has been replaced and there is water in the trap. Good luck and be sure to post when you solve.
Nor any drop to drink.
DEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

Could be your roof vent is clogged or blocked at the Y that goes to the gray tank. That Y is the only place the two tanks are connected. I believe they both vent through the common roof vent.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I keep the valves closed until full, checked the vents for blockages, don't have cracked pipes and have tried 2 different conditioners. I'm going to try baking soda and maybe even bleach with a good soak. It's really puzzling. When this is solved I will post results.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:39 AM   #7

Odors seem to be a really big problem. We have never had the problem before our 5th wheel. But now sometimes, we get the black tank odor in the kitchen living room area. Not sure how this could be, but it happens. Not in the bathroom, but in the kitchen. We are going to put a little Lysol down each drain to see if that helps. Going home today but did notice that is mostly prevalent in the heat of the day.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #8

namusmc65, you may have a faulty air admittance valve under the sink. It admits air to the drain line to help it drain, and has a one way valve that is supposed to keep odors from escaping. Here is a short article discussing this type of valve: ASTVD Valve (clicky)
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #9
Site Team

Also be aware of odors coming in a roof vent if the sewer vent is downwind of your roof vent.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

I had stinky sink drains and finally removed the traps and cleaned them- they had some nasty stuff growing in them. Seemed to help with the smell.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #11

If the trap can be removed, take it off & clean it or replace it.
Two Love's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #12

Or pour a little bleach in each drain...will kill anything "growing".

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #13

Hello, just had the same problem...my problem was a defective "anti syphon" valve, located by the p trap, under the bathroom sink. Easy fix once the problem was found.
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

I routinely leave my gray water valve open when camping. I discovered years ago that dumping my daily coffee grounds down the sink drain helps to eliminate tank odors.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I had stinky sink drains and finally removed the traps and cleaned them- they had some nasty stuff growing in them. Seemed to help with the smell.
I am going to go with this one. You can get bacteria growth in a bathroom sink from teeth brushing and lack of water flow through the P-trap. It's a gently used sink and one that can grow slime over time. Bleach will do some to help, but it's best to remove, clean and then bleach it to get to the walls of the trap otherwise the slime stays and returns the smell quickly.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #16
Site Team

Get a little plastic tool called a "zippy" in the plumbing dept of most any big box store.
Just push it down the drain and pull it up while running hot water.
Yuch, surprise! We keep one in our camper and at home. Less than 4 bucks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #17

So still at it trying to eliminate the odor with partial success. I will try cleaning the p trap next. Tried some baking soda that helped for a few days. Very stubborn odor! Thanks for the insight
Old 10-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #18

Did you try vinegar with the baking soda??? Dump 1/2 - 1 cup of baking soda down drain and then pour in vinegar. The "volcano" effect helps clean the trap as it bubbles. Keep slowly pouring in vinegar until it eventually stops bubbling and let it sit for about 20 minutes then rinse out the trap. I do this at home with my drains and disposal and it works great.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #19

Have you tried replacing the "cheater valve"/anti syphon valve, near your P-trap. This solved our problem. We had our gray water tank valves "open" while connected to a sewer dump on our "full service" site. The "cheater valve"/anti syphon valve would typically stop odors from coming into our unit, but, ours wasn't working. A cheap fix ...bout $12.
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
namusmc65, you may have a faulty air admittance valve under the sink. It admits air to the drain line to help it drain, and has a one way valve that is supposed to keep odors from escaping. Here is a short article discussing this type of valve: ASTVD Valve (clicky)
2x

I had this problem, mostly when I had the fan on and no open window. I traced it back to the air valve under the sink. To test it, I used black vinyl electrical tape around the little vent holes in the valve and the smell stopped. WHICH REMINDS ME, I need to get a new air valve and replace the one with the black vinyl tape on it (for the last year or so)... there has been no problems with slow running water or anything... thanks RVhiker.. another thing on my list to do

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote