Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #21

I just spent the last few hours testing and performing the break in on my new/used Onan I scored. Only 3 hours on it. Not sure if two of those hours are break in or not so I performed it. Runs great! I have it connected to the trailer temporary as I didn't not want to install it in the compartment and find it had issues and have to pull it back out. Looking forward to getting it installed. Won't need genset power until September, for 4 days. Gives me plenty of time to source sound deading material and install it than the genset. I'm not going bare firebox. I want to sleep while it runs so it's getting lined with Soundown sound deading material before the genset is thrown in.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie846 View Post
Dealer, called Jayco and they told me to order thru dealer. I only had the gen prep package from factory on mine as well. Dealership just used the sn#/vin# to get the same pipe that would have been installed at the factory. Exits between the master slide and bunkhouse slide.
I tried my local worthless dealer, he said Jayco doesn't sell them. Than tried to sell me a pipe that wouldn't make it to the exterior. I emailed Jayco directly and they said since my Eagle only has prep, no genset option, they don't have an exhaust for it. Now had the genset been s factory option in my Eagle than yes, Jayco would have a part number. So I need to build my own exhaust.

Earl
Old 08-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #23

Any Onan dealer can get you the exact pipe you need.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I tried my local worthless dealer, he said Jayco doesn't sell them. Than tried to sell me a pipe that wouldn't make it to the exterior. I emailed Jayco directly and they said since my Eagle only has prep, no genset option, they don't have an exhaust for it. Now had the genset been s factory option in my Eagle than yes, Jayco would have a part number. So I need to build my own exhaust.

Earl
Sorry to hear that, but aligns with what you expected since prep was the only factory option. Some dealers aren't worth a darn and don't deserve to have customers.

Jamie

Jamie846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Any Onan dealer can get you the exact pipe you need.
The local worthless Jayco dealer is an Onan dealer. Is no exact pipe unfortunately as every trailer and floor plan would be different. That's what I tried to get from Jayco. So I either need to make my own system with various onan pipes or take it to an exhaust shop to have one custom made. But most don't deal with such small pipe diameter. Most likely I will make a system from onan pipes available. Looks like it will take 3 or so different onan pipes.

Earl
Old 08-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #26

Not an RV dealer an Onan-Cummins dealer.

Onan-Cummins has a catalog with all of the exhaust pipes they make. JAYCO orders directly from Onan.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Not an RV dealer an Onan-Cummins dealer.

Onan-Cummins has a catalog with all of the exhaust pipes they make. JAYCO orders directly from Onan.
Yep, I have that same catalog. But like I said, is no exact pipe. They make about 15 pipes in 1.5" size. The local dealer can order any Onan pipe as they are an Onan dealer for RV products. The pipe they wanted to sell me was an onan pipe.

Once I get it installed I will look at the measurements and the available onan pipes and order online (much cheaper) what I need. Just isn't an easy fast friendly way of doing it. I will also need to figure out how many hangers and heat shields I will need as well.

That's why I wanted the ready to go system like Jamie got through Jayco made custom to fit that trailer.

Earl
Old 08-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #28

generator exhaust

Just got my gas 5.5 onan delivered today. Will install in our North Point next week. For my exhaust, after install I will how much pipe needed and go to a steel shop and probably get stainless steel pipe or other type to make the exhaust run in least amount of joints as possible. Hopefully all one piece with hangers.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #29

heat shield

Mopar_earl, trying to find out what the heat shield entails. Do you have info on heat shield?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
That's why I wanted the ready to go system like Jamie got through Jayco made custom to fit that trailer.
Earl
Can he send his vin# to JAYCO and get the part# for his?
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Can he send his vin# to JAYCO and get the part# for his?
I would suspect since it is a North Point Hammerhead should be able to order factory pipe from dealer like I was able to do.

Jamie846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #32

Yes if you have a unit that had the factory genset installed option, you should be able to get a ready to go system like Jamie did. The Eagle and Eagle HT you can not as they don't offer factory installed genset, prep only.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 08-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Mopar_earl, trying to find out what the heat shield entails. Do you have info on heat shield?
Onan 026-00344

3.75" wide
6" long.

It goes on the pipe and held in place by two exhaust u-bolt clamps. It doesn't specify if the clamps are included or not.

Earl
Old 08-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #34

Generator

Will that exhaust pipe run under your propane line?I remember my Toy Hauler had cast iron pipe for the propane line.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #35

Thanks for the info. I have another quick question. I picked up a short piece of exhaust to see how it fit over the factory pipe off of generator. Itvseemed a little sloppy. Are yours snug fit over the onan tail coming off the generator. The inside dimension of pipe is 1 1/2".
Old 08-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Thanks for the info. I have another quick question. I picked up a short piece of exhaust to see how it fit over the factory pipe off of generator. Itvseemed a little sloppy. Are yours snug fit over the onan tail coming off the generator. The inside dimension of pipe is 1 1/2".
Pipe should be 1.5" OD. The pipe on the genset is 1.375.

Earl
Old 08-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #37

Thanks Mopar. Looks like I need to look around tomorrow for 1 1/2 OD pipe. I have 1 5/8" O.D. now.