Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

One week on the road

The old dog has moseyed down the pike as far as Yuma. It's going to stay here for a while so I can put everything back in place and know that it will be there tomorrow.

We had wet and nasty carpet back by the corner where the water pump is when to took ownership of the rig. I dried it out and cleaned the carpet but couldn't find a leak. The pump is way back there under the desk cabinet and hard to see anything in detail but the leak seemed to have gone away so I had no idea where it came from. Even suspected a leak in the slide-out seal which is in that area. It got bad on the trip so that I bought a shop vac and sucked up a gallon and a half of water from the carpet when we finally got here and parked. I still couldn't find a leak so managed to pull the pump out and sure enough, there are signs that it has been leaking at the seam where it connects the impellers and the motor part. I ordered a new one and it won't take long to dry things out in this dry climate.

A more frustrating situation is the way things fly around in here while on the road. The roads, once entering California are really bad. CA99 south from Sacramento in a disaster. From Tehachepi to San Bernadino just as bad or worse. The CA 58, I think it is, down along the Salton Sea is a whop-de-do roller coaster. I'm sure glad I have a new set of tires on the rig. I would have been plenty worried with those load range D tires that came from the factory back then. This thing has shocks but they did little to keep the goodies on the shelves. I had a one pound butter container full of quarters in an overhead cabinet that turned over, shed the lid and spread quarters everywhere. Driving like a fool? Hardly, I never exceeded 58 MPH on the trip and slowed down when I could see rough road ahead.

Thanks to the Mor-ryde hitch the felt effect in the truck was more tolerable than we had last year with the Montana we pulled down here.

I meant to stay away from the boring travelogue stuff and concentrate on the aspects of the rig. Sorry if I bored y'all.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

At least you didn't have a landing leg collapse on you . That happened on my first trip after I retired. Was real interesting trying to get it back up and into the hitch.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote