Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Ordering a 2013 Pinnacle 34 RLTS - Slideout awnings or not? Miracle Sealant or not?

Hi Folks.
As the title says I am ordering a 2013 Pinnacle 34 RLTS. Should I go with the Slideout awnings w/ metal wrap or not?
My dealer says they can be noisy in wind and don't seem to be very durable - often needing repair or replacement in 3-4 years.
I am looking to those with experience for pro's and con's.
Are storms a concern (wind rain etc) as they are with the standard awning?
Also, the dealer is selling something called a ResistALL protective coating system that includes an exterior paint sealant and an interior fabric sealant and stain barrier.
It comes with a 5 year fix or replace type of warranty.
It is a product from Ca-Tex Protective Coatings.
Anyone have any experience with these products?

Thanks Much .

Bob
IShootSharpStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #2

I have a 2012 34RLTS. We have the awning slide out with the metal covers. I have only been out 5 times since I bought in July. The mechanism sure makes a lot of noise when moving in and out. Also if you get on the roof and look at the awning when it is retracted the cover leaves about 4" of the awning exposed to the elements. This is the first point of deterioration, so the metal wrap does really offer long term protection in my opinion.
The treatment sounds like a gimmic to me. "if it sounds to good to true". My last camper with gelcoat finish really looked good until about 8 years old. Your treat warranty expires before real wear happens. "Cavet-Emptor"
HappyCamper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #3

We have the 34RLTS (Love it!!!) with the slide awnings; yup, can be noisy in heavy wind. I would re-order them in a second! Tree droppings stay off the slide; I like that. No water puddles when bringing in the slides. We researched the "treatments".......and did not get them. Google and decide. Mike
jstme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper66 View Post
I have a 2012 34RLTS. We have the awning slide out with the metal covers. I have only been out 5 times since I bought in July. The mechanism sure makes a lot of noise when moving in and out. Also if you get on the roof and look at the awning when it is retracted the cover leaves about 4" of the awning exposed to the elements. This is the first point of deterioration, so the metal wrap does really offer long term protection in my opinion.
The treatment sounds like a gimmic to me. "if it sounds to good to true". My last camper with gelcoat finish really looked good until about 8 years old. Your treat warranty expires before real wear happens. "Cavet-Emptor"
Did you mean to say that the metal wrap does NOT rally offer long term protection?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstme1 View Post
We have the 34RLTS (Love it!!!) with the slide awnings; yup, can be noisy in heavy wind. I would re-order them in a second! Tree droppings stay off the slide; I like that. No water puddles when bringing in the slides. We researched the "treatments".......and did not get them. Google and decide. Mike
The key sentence in my mind is "I would re-order them in a second". That is exactly the kind of owner experience info I was hoping for. Thanks very much. Anyone else?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #6

We ordered our Pinnacle with the slide toppers without any hesitation. They do everything you would expect.

Ever sit under your main awning in a rain? Same thing.

Don't even give it another thought.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

NO personal experience with the protective coating but have awning toppers on this unit and had them on our 2011 (destroyed in a tornado.) THey do tend to make a little noice when the wind hits them at certain angles, but I've never been woke up or anything by the noise. I personally think they are worth the extra cost. ONe thing I noticed is they put a little more angle/pitch on the ones mounted on our 2012 and not once did I have a problem with water pooling, and we left our slides out all summer. The ones on our 2011 seemed to always pool water pretty bad.
Garyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
Site Team

I have had them on 3 rigs and they keep heat, sun, leaves and debris off the slides. Longest rig I had with them was 6 years and they were is good shape. My only regret is that on my rig they are mounted without enough fall to allow all the water to run off so I have to take other measures to clear the puddle in the middle. Not any problem, just inconvenient.

I generally stay away from protectant treatments. You can spray your own fabric protector for much less $$$.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #9

My 2012 Pinnacle 36RETS has them and my 2013 30.5RLS does not. I'll never go without them again!!!
rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #10

Thank you all for your feedback. My order is in, with the slideout awnings, and I have a mid-January build date. Spring can't come soon enough.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootSharpStix View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. My order is in, with the slideout awnings, and I have a mid-January build date. Spring can't come soon enough.
Congrats and hope you are in a location that you can get out and enjoy right away after you pick it up.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Congradulations on ordering you new Pinnacle, we sure love ours.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstme1 View Post
X2 We love having the slide awnings. As far as the treatments...had it done on our last fifth wheel and it WAS NOT worth it. FWIW!
Pinnacleproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #14

It has been quite windy this past couple of weeks here at Stone Mountian in GA and the slide awnings have been flapping quite a bit at night.

Still like the pluses more than the minuses of the slide awnings.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #15

Has anyone installed Solera Slide Toppers on their RV?

They look like a better idea than traditional slide room awnings.

Solera Slide-Out Sleeve and Slide Topper - YouTube

From watching the installation video, I'm not sure they are compatible with the slide design on my Excel.

Easily install the Solera Slide-out Sleeve yourself or Get Help from your Local RV Center. - YouTube

The product was developed by Texas Innovators. Lippert bought them out and have exclusive rights to the product
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #16

Here's the reply from Mobile Outfitters:

Good Morning,

This product is a special order product that is unit specific based on a customer's slide system, seal system, and type of RV. We have ran into a few complications with installations and are working through them. Until we have all install applications determined & reviewed we cannot supply. We appreciate your interest and look forward to supplying this awesome product to you in the near future.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

Marie Berry
The Mobile Outfitters
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote