Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

Our Eagle has almost landed!

Hello JOF members, you have all been so helpful as we perused the info you have shared. In January, we selected and ordered a 2014 30.5 RLS from RvD. Based on some of your advice, we ordered the thermal pane windows, 2nd ac in br, and most of the other available options excluding the bumper mounted grill, as I believe I would prefer an outdoor stove, and we have our Reese slider hitch installed and ready to go. We are very excited and will be leaving Saturday morning for the trip to Des Moines for the scheduled pick up of our unit! We have enjoyed our Starcraft pop up camper for about 15 years, but we are ready for our "retirement home" on wheels, as DH hopes to retire from the fire dept soon.

Before we head out on Saturday, can you please share your advice with us regarding what we need to take along with us, how best to utilize the pdi, (though I have been reading some good info about this) what is in the starter kit, (I know I read about that somewhere) and if anyone has the 30.5 and can give us a definitive answer as the the bed size I would sure appreciate it! We plan to sleep in our new happy camper very basically on the way back, for a night or two, and will be taking along some basics. We are towing with our Ford F-250 crew cab and look forward to any parting wisdom you might like to share.

Thanks again, and in advance!
lovinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new 5er and welcome! Sorry, but I can't answer your other questions as we haven't taken deliver of our TT (out first) yet.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #3

Welcome to JOF and CONGRATS on your new "Retirement Home"!!
As for specific questions on you rmodel, I am not able to answer.
As for the PDI, you said you have done some reading, be prepared to take a lot of notes. We took a camcorder along on our first PDI so we could review certain things at anytime.
Don't let them rush through the PDI. YOU take YOUR time and let them explain everything the way you understand.
"Starter Kit" includes an inexpensive 10 foot sewer hose and a few little items you may already have used in your Pop-Up.
Check fit on all cabinets, check flooring everywhere including the shower, check that everything works with 120 volts and those items that will work on 12 volts.
I hope this helps a little.
Good Luck and I hope you have many fond memories in your new 5'er!!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #4

Welcome to JOF
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #5

As a guy that does the PDI's, its all about the customer. If you have questions, ask. If you need something repeated, ask. YOU bought this trailer... YOU need the info. Don't be shy in asking questions. I have been with customers for as little as 30 minutes, and as long as 3 hours.

Check everything, question even more. This is your time to get to know your new Jayco.

Every dealer is different on the buckets. I like ours. They are not cheap, have the basics, plus a bit more. Some typical buckets items are toilet paper, toilet chemical, water hose, sanitary hose, 30 to 15 amp connector, water pressure regulator, and gloves (for the sanitary hose).
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #6

The water system, as of what valves to move for city water or filling the tank.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #8

Congrats on the new 5er - happy for ya and excited that ours may not be too far behind. Really take your time and as John mentioned above, ask questions. Adult learning comes from doing so after they show you something, ask to do it. Awning operation, slide operation, leveling and electric hook-up are maybe a few tasks you might do while at the dealer.

Oh, make sure the camera batteries are charged cause we want pictures
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #9

Do you get to stay a night or two while there to check the FW out before leaving? I was thinking that was one of the things RV Direct said was possible.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #10

I am also the proud owner of a 2014 30.5 RLS

The queen bed with our FW is actually made by Denver Mattress and is a full size queen.

We are very excited for our Jayco. Have a great time!

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #11

Thanks so much everyone, for all the great info! I was not aware of an option to stay there, at RvD, but will certainly find out about that!

Jmooney, I am so relieved to see that the mattress is standard. I have seen conflicting information, some sources listing it at 60X74. We are also in CO and I'm wondering if you bought the unit in Longmont that we originally fell in love with, and sold right after we saw it, prompting us to look elsewhere. If so, we are hoping our fiver looks exactly the same!

Will definitely keep everyone posted! Thanks again
Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #12

Yes, we bought in Longmont ( KC RV) on 12/31/13

Sorry if we stole it from you

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #13

You need to get a vent deflector for the heat vent in the floor of the bedroom. It will almost burn your feet while you in the bed. I'm serious.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #14

Welcome to the Jayco family and congrats on the new 5er! We are currently taking a 2 year journey throughout the US and our Jayco 5er is doing a great job! Happy & Safe travels. Share photos when you can...

Traveling the US full-time
The Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #15

No stealing, jm, but we're really glad we saw it, it's the only one of the model we've seen in person, even the rv show didn't have it, and when we saw it we knew exactly what we wanted. If ours is like that, we'll know we're doing good! Wow, great tip about the bedroom heater vent, you must have been able to do some nice trying out the rv already!

Thanks Happy Campers, I look forward to checking out your blog!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #16

Enjoy your new rig! We are anxiously waiting to take our new 5er out after this long cold winter.

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #17

Congrats on the new 5th wheel
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #18

We did pick up our unit last week. We drove from Denver to Iowa to get her. We did have some issues, even before we arrived we were informed that our chairs had arrived broken, and would be shipped directly to our house in 2-3 weeks. I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed as to the size of our 30.5 RLS. Somehow just knowing this was ours and we would be towing it was a bit numbing...

She does have the new design changes, though vin indicates a 2014 model- the gray plank type floor, (which took some getting used to for me) the dinette and kitchen sky lights, and love the new backsplash. I had already been considering replacing the wallpaper one I was expecting. I believe the bedroom and bathroom doors are more plain now without the panel design, but that's ok. We were a bit disappointed about some quality control issues that passed and needed to ask for some corrections. We hope to have all of these problems resolved soon, and look forward to getting our happy "glamper" all set. We rough camped for 2 nights on the way back and enjoyed each moment. JMooney is absolutely correct about the heat that cranks in the bedroom. DH is looking to replace the vent with an adjustable one if possible.

All in all, a beautiful little house and we are very happy with the floor plan and options we selected.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 AM   #19

Glad to hear you are now in possesson of your 5er and future retirement home. We are also in that group of folks looking forward to wandering in our rig after leaving the Fire Dept. We have two kids in Colorado, so we are envious of your location since we are enduring this never ending winter in northern Illinois. Enjoy and happy to hear you received the upgrades and additions on your fifth wheel.

FireCapt564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #20

We do like our unit, and are anxiously awaiting our chairs and replacement parts.

FireCaptian, here's hoping for nice weather and retirement soon!

I just noticed that our model is now listed as Dealer Stock Only and wonder if it has been discontinued. If so, I'm sure glad we got ours when we did!