Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #1

Overflow loosing water

Greetings! Need some advice or help on something. I've had my 2015 Eagle HT (29.5) out about a half dozen times. The last couple times I took it out, I thought I must be going crazy....although I had filled the fresh tank, it was down to about half when arriving at our destination. This last weekend I noticed that quite a bit of water was coming out of the overflow from the tank as we were going down the road....especially when any hills are involved.

Anyone else with this problem? Short of clamping it off when not filling....any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
clovdahl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #2

I also had that issue with our 28BHBE. The solution is to add a couple shutoff valves to the overflow lines. Open the valves to fill tank until water flows from hoses. Close valves for travel. Most will tell you to open the valves at your campsite but I do not as the tanks vent through the small screen at the fill port.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Ditto the valves, or I T'd the two lines together, and then ran a single 1/2" line to the back of the trailer, and up the ladder to about 6" above the floor level (6" above tank tops) That way I still have both vents, as mine is also vented to the gravity fill port. Before this, I would tow 6 hours to the mountains, with lots of 6 and 7% grades, and mine would actually read EMPTY when I arrived!!!
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #4

Looking into adding valves to mine, as they are getting ready to shut off the water at our local state park sites. Still available at the bath houses, but not at sites.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

filling

What I do is tend the filling and as soon as a drop comes out of the overflow tube(s) I jerk the hose out. The siphon doesn't get a chance to establish. Granted, if you haul this up, down and shake it, you will slosh more out, but I find that at most I lose a few gallons. I usually fill close to where I'm setting up so no big deal. I have been thinking about plumbing in some sort of antisiphon device, if one exists.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #6

The solutions suggested here are good fixes.
There are lots and lots of threads on this topic, as it has been a design flaw on Jayco and StarCraft trailers for years, and still they have never fixed the design at the factory.
A search of the forum using words like water tank overflow, water tank pukes, etc. will turn up many threads and many creative ways of resolving the problem.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #7

Talking Thanks

Thanks to all for the responses. This model (2015) has a single really flat/flexible tube coming out from the sealed area above, so I'm not really sure what all it's connected to in regards to the number of vents/overflow(s).

Guess the best fix is going to be to shut it off when I'm not filling. Since the tube actually has a flat shape (like a sump discharge hose), I think a guitar capo may actually work well! Hehe....
clovdahl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #8

I installed a garden hose shut off valve on my over flow hose also. But I open it when parked. I had to take a cabinet apart that was behind that was behind the outside fill fitting and noticed that little screen with a hose barb on the back was not connected to anything. If u have an over flow line under the RV u do not need a vent line. It would make logic to connect the overfill hose to the vent but that probably saves a dollar
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #9

I also tie the two overflow lines together after I have filled up so I don't lose fresh water. I am trying to figure out if I need to bother removing the joiner tube for the purpose of venting the tanks. I have the twin fresh tanks that are connected together by a big hose. The gravity fill goes into the front tank and then it flows to the rear. I know the little vent tube along side the gravity fill will vent the front tank, but what vents the rear tank? The overflow tube?
Old 09-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #10

You need to open the overflow to vent. I just found that out when my water stop pumping and pump would not prime. So closed towing open when camping. Just use a garden hose on off plastic valve and hose clamp
Rock
Old 09-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #11

It is a common problem, and not just a Jayco problem. My first experience with it was on my JayFlight 25RKS, and discovered the same problem with my Heartland Sundance XLT. A short piece of wood dowel will fit right in my pex over flow tubes and plugs them off. Kinda red neck, but it works well and the price is right. Remove them when set up, and plug them back off right after filling the tank.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #12

I had the same problem on my 2013 Eagle 28.5 RLS. Installing shutoff valves seemed to take care of the problem. What annoyed me was when I spoke with a service tech at the dealership, he denied knowing that there had ever been a problem like this. I had the problem, my brother in law in Seattle had the same problem in his Jayflight, so I'm pretty sure there were others. I'm hoping the new trailer will not have the same issue.
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #13

I just use a garden hose shut off valve with one of those qiuick disconnect fitting and it fits into the tube and u now have an on and off valve
Rock

Tags
leaking, overflow