Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

Oxidation or Gel Coat failure on front of 5th wheel

This is a 2013 31.5FBHS, which we bought new about 1+ year ago.
We live in Arizona so our rig gets pounded on by brutal heat and sun.
The top of the nose of the fifth wheel is completely fading and losing its shine already. Is this anything that other people have experienced so quickly on a new trailer? Is this anything that I should expect Jayco to cover in my 2 year full warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2823.jpg   IMG_2809.jpg   IMG_2805.jpg  
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #2

Jayco will cover it under the 2 year warranty. My Eagle Premier is doing the same thing after only being 1 year old. I noticed it especially on the top side of the cap after about 8 months. I took my TT by the dealer to get some other warranty work done and I thought I would ask about that and the dealer said it was covered under the 2 year warranty. I will taking it back in about a month when the rest of my warranty parts come in and they repair it at that time.
speckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Site Team

We worked with Jayco & Auth Service ctr and got cap repainted under warranty

Are you still under warranty?
If so, make an OFFICIAL complaint in WRITING to Jayco support, ASAP, informing Jayco that your 2013 Jayco has oxidation and can not be removed. Mine started oxidizing with in a few months of our purchase. Waxing does not do any good and we watched it spread from the top of the cap down the front of the cap. I included pictures below of my before and after Jayco warranty work. There are two options that Jayco uses in this case, (1) Replace the cap, or (2) repaint the cap. If they decide to repaint the cap, the cap has to be sanded all the way down removing the clear coat and the top coating.

We worked with the AUTHORIZED dealer service center that had an awesome paint shop, they sent pictures of the cap to Jayco and gave them the recommendation to repaint and JAYCO agreed to pay for the repainting of the cap in WHITE for us. Here is the kicker, Jayco would pay for the required sanding, the paint (white), labor, replace decals, but would not warranty the new paint, because it was not the same color (dark brown). No problem as the Jayco warranty had only 4 more months left on it, and the dealer's paint warranty is for 5 years. Now that is an extended warranty if you ask me.

I took temperatures of the original cap in the sun and the temperature was over 200 degrees, near the top of the dark cap, with the newly painted WHITE cap, same locations, the temp has not gone above 119 so far, and the interior temp behind the cap is down to under 100 in the sun, from 145+ with the old cap, which raised the temp of the entire TT.

In short:
1. Officially Notify Jayco support (email) of your issue.
2. Jayco will tell you to go to an AUTHORIZED Jayco service center to have it checked out.
3. Pick out a good Jayco Authorized service center (paint work), even if you have to travel 100 miles, it is well worth it in the long run.
4. Different dealers have different warranty on work done.
5. The authorized service center will work with Jayco and Jayco will determine which option they want done (price difference between painting/cap replacement, based on labor rates of svc center). You may want to rethink painting it the dark brown again….
6. Once approved, take your TT in and have the work done.
7. Pick up the TT and enjoy your new cap/paint.

One last item… When you get approval, before Jayco ships the decals, you need to inform the paint shop that they need to get both the FRONT cap decals AND THE SIDE DECALS, as the little decals on the SIDE OF THE CAP are not included in the cap decal package. Don’t ask me why, but that is how they do it!

The white color has made all the difference in the world for the exterior temperature of it and the interior temperature

I am now one happy camper.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
199.4 Degrees.jpg   EAGLE 284BHS New Front.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

Doesn't seem to be a Jayco specific issue....Noticed several dark-nosed "glass front" TT at the campground this week that were chalked horribly at the top.

Be glad you have a 2-year warranty
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]and JAYCO agreed to pay for the repainting of the cap in WHITE for us.

One last item… When you get approval, before Jayco ships the decals, you need to inform the paint shop that they need to get both the FRONT cap decals AND THE SIDE DECALS, as the little decals on the SIDE OF THE CAP are not included in the cap decal package. Don’t ask me why, but that is how they do it!
Great tip on asking for the "side decals"!!! I too would have "assumed" they would have been included with any replacement decals Jayco sent for the front.

Sounds like you are really pleased with how the white front cap turned out. If possible, could you please post some pics of you entire trailer (from the side or front corner view) so we can see how the new white front cap blends in with the original brown skirting on the side. TIA.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Doesn't seem to be a Jayco specific issue....Noticed several dark-nosed "glass front" TT at the campground this week that were chalked horribly at the top.

Be glad you have a 2-year warranty
I agree, the industry went to colored front caps to get that "Upscale" look, but I think all manufacturers are having issues with the darker colored caps.
Most manufacturers are having the front caps painted as a corrective action.
I saw where a few manufacturers have changed to painted front caps on their newer models.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
Site Team

When I brought the TT in for the paint job, they gave me a tour of the body/paint shop (OUTSTANDING). They said that I am not the first one with the dark front Gel Coat front cap issue. The body/paint shop is preparing themselves for a large number of these DARK FRONT (Gel coat) ISSUES (not just Jayco), as they will eventually be brought in for a new cap or paint job. While talking with them, it was mentioned that there are different qualities of CLEAR COAT, that have a price range from $20 -$130 a gallon, based on history he said that manufactures do not use the top of the line clear coat. Another point brought up, and I heard this else ware, from a custom car painter, is that Gel Coat should not have a clear coat over it. The jury is still out on that issue.

I just went out and took a few pictures of the blending of the paint of the cap to the body. Not the best pictures. The paint color was selected by their digital paint color duplicator. Like a camera takes a sample picture of the body and gives the paint selection information for mixing. EXCELLANT match. Also, the cap and dark trim at the bottom. We opted to leave the entire cap white, and everyone likes it better with the white cap vs the dark brown cap

One last point, if you have a DARK FRONT CAP, or just a dark front, watch the caulking that is on the seam between the roof and cap, as the dark front (very high temperature) seems to be deteriorating the caulking that is over the dark cap portion. Just check it every few months.

Yes, the front cap (side) decals are on the shelf in back of me.. will get to that soon.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Cap vs Side.jpg   Paint Cap vs side lower paint.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #8

My neighbor took his 5er (Montana) in for warranty repairs including fading on the front cap. He said there were "several" other trailers in for the same work on the front cap.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I just went out and took a few pictures of the blending of the paint of the cap to the body....Also, the cap and dark trim at the bottom.
Don,
Thanks for the incredibly quick response - and for the additional pics. Shows everyone how well the new white cap blends w/ the rest of the body.

Just curious, do you plan on installing the side decals yourself or taking it back to the body shop?
Rich
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbreeves View Post
Just curious, do you plan on installing the side decals yourself or taking it back to the body shop?
Rich
The dealer asked if I wanted to bring the TT back, I said I will do them myself, so he sent me the decals to my house.
Don
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #11

My cap is also showing the fading. Makes a brand new 5th look 10 yrs old. It looks like most of you are getting the repaint done at the Jayco dealer. Anyone getting it done by an auto shop at Jayco's expense?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Anyone getting it done by an auto shop at Jayco's expense?
I asked and they said that the work will have done by an authorized Jayco service center... if one is not close.. be prepared to take a long drive, but well worth the effort.
Don
Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #13

Thanks for everyone's feedback - I'll get it in to the dealer quickly.
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #14

I had the same issue with a 2013 305RLS. Its currently at an authorized JAYCO dealer getting a paint job. Hope it works and lasts. I didn't know about the "white" option and probably would have been better with that.
TooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
Site Team

One last item... I also was informed that ALL the gel-coat needs to be removed (down to the fiberglass) before the cap can be painted. Something about the paint will not fair as well if the gel-coat is just sanded. I believe it was something about the oxidation process on the gel-coat. Not totally sure as to why, but that is what I remembered.

Don
Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlinthi View Post
This is a 2013 31.5FBHS, which we bought new about 1+ year ago.
We live in Arizona so our rig gets pounded on by brutal heat and sun.
The top of the nose of the fifth wheel is completely fading and losing its shine already. Is this anything that other people have experienced so quickly on a new trailer? Is this anything that I should expect Jayco to cover in my 2 year full warranty?
Chlinthi,
Excellent thread. I am sure a lot of other Jayco Owners will take advantage of that 2 year warranty (if it hasn't expired yet).

Mustang65,
Thanks for the detailed description of your Jayco's front end cap oxidation remedy. A lot of good pointers. I am sure you are way more than happy with the outcome.

We took delivery of our 5'er a few weeks ago. It appears that Jayco has changed the front end cap design on the Eagle line. Do you think this has to do with the oxidation on the previous design?

See picture below;

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #17

The gray front cap on my 2011 HT started oxidizing when it was about a year old. There are paints out there such as Imron that offer extreme durability but like the Chinese tires, the manufacturers will generally use whatever is cheapest.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 PM   #18

I have a 2013 321 RLTS that had the front cap repainted in 2015 under warranty. Now the side of the 5th wheel is doing what the front cap did (oxidation). The sides are the same color as the front cap. Of course we are now out of warranty. Anyone have a solution to this problem?
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGard View Post
I have a 2013 321 RLTS that had the front cap repainted in 2015 under warranty. Now the side of the 5th wheel is doing what the front cap did (oxidation). The sides are the same color as the front cap. Of course we are now out of warranty. Anyone have a solution to this problem?
You have two choices sell it or spend the money and have it repaired.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #20

3M heavy cut gel coat compound and a wheel will get a lot of it off and bring back the shine for a few months. I wax my unit 3X's a season on the dark colors to keep it protected, but yes eventually it will get away from you.

Another option I am looking into is using the new polymer coatings on my front cap. They require a lot of detailed prep and almost a completely dust free work area to get some of them applied correctly. Another challenge is not very many of the good ones are sold to the public and require a dealer to apply them.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote