Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

Pondering on-board genset

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. My girlfriend and I are currently researching the Jayco Eagle 293RKDS and may factory order one with genset prep and install an Onan 5500.
I've never been in a trailer with an onboard genset. How much noise and vibration would we expect? We are sick of loading and unloading the genset in the truck bed. Also having to deal with fuel tanks and a battery as well. Also everytime we need to leave, we have to unhook the shore line and remove the genset stack. So we thought an onboard genset would be best.
Most of our genset needed trips are few hours a day. We do have one trip a year that we need to run the genset 16 hours a day including while sleeping. That's mainly why the question on noise and vibration as we will need to run it while sleeping 3 nights in a row once a year.

Thanks,
Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! You didn't mention if you boondock, or visit campgrounds, or both. I've noticed campgrounds often limit the time, and hours they allow generators to be run. Usually only a couple times during the day. If you boondock exclusively that probably won't be a concern. The new gens are very quiet compared to years past, but you'll still notice it. The noise while sleeping depends on where it is in relation to the bed. After a while, you may not even notice it?? Kinda like living near railroad tracks.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

We have only ever owned motorhomes with a genset on board. We generally only run it when needed to power the microwave, AC, or charge the batteries.

The biggest consideration is another engine to maintain.

We had the Onan 5500 a few years back and it must be run at least once a month with a 50% load or the carburetor will need to be replaced to the tune of $225.
Our last two motorhomes have been equipped with the Onan quiet diesel generators and they are considerably quieter and don't have the same issue with a carburetor failing. They do still require regular maintenance and a recommended minimum run time per month.

The Onan 5500 is a 50 amp genset and can power everything at once including two AC units.
Perhaps a smaller on board genset such as the Onan 4000 which is generally quieter and very popular in smaller motorhomes.

In the end there's nothing like have a rig that is fully self contained.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Welcome to the forum! You didn't mention if you boondock, or visit campgrounds, or both. I've noticed campgrounds often limit the time, and hours they allow generators to be run. Usually only a couple times during the day. If you boondock exclusively that probably won't be a concern. The new gens are very quiet compared to years past, but you'll still notice it. The noise while sleeping depends on where it is in relation to the bed. After a while, you may not even notice it?? Kinda like living near railroad tracks.
Thanks for the welcome! 95% of our camping is in state parks with power. We go to several shows a year that is dry camping in fields that we use a genset. All but one show regulates genset run hours of 0700 to 2300. Those shows are in the spring and fall. The show we attend in July is way too hot to not run a genset overnight for AC. Fortunately the July show they don't have an issue with gensets running overnight unless it's those portable cheap Lowes hear it 10 miles away ones. Lol
The Jayco we are looking at is a front bedroom, so almost on top of the genset.

Thank,
Earl
Old 10-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Plan "B": Get friendly with the folks next to you at the show, and plug into THEIR gen??LOL!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
We have only ever owned motorhomes with a genset on board. We generally only run it when needed to power the microwave, AC, or charge the batteries.

The biggest consideration is another engine to maintain.

We had the Onan 5500 a few years back and it must be run at least once a month with a 50% load or the carburetor will need to be replaced to the tune of $225.
Our last two motorhomes have been equipped with the Onan quiet diesel generators and they are considerably quieter and don't have the same issue with a carburetor failing. They do still require regular maintenance and a recommended minimum run time per month.

The Onan 5500 is a 50 amp genset and can power everything at once including two AC units.
Perhaps a smaller on board genset such as the Onan 4000 which is generally quieter and very popular in smaller motorhomes.

In the end there's nothing like have a rig that is fully self contained.
I already have to maintain the current genset. We'd go LP on the Onan 5500. That eliminates carb issues as propane doesn't gum up like gasoline. Also LP engines burn so clean that maintenance is extremely low. Exercising a genset is important, especially gasoline ones. But you can put them in long term storage to eliminate the exercising. Should be in the manual, short term and long term storage procedures. Another note, LP engines exhaust isn't as toxic as gasoline. That's why you see propane forklifts in sealed warehouses.

Earl
Old 10-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

Having never owned a built-in genset, I may be out-of-line here, but I'm an opinionated S.O.B. So, here goes....

I wouldn't go whole built-in because of serviceability issues. The engine buried under access panels. Routine servicing becomes a painful process. Any repairs require remove of the whole genset. I think I read somewhere that refueling can be a bother since the genset retains it's factory fuel tank. (On motorhomes, the genset usually shares the same fuel tank. The genset's pickup being higher than the main engine's)

But with the genset mounted under covers, there will be less noise around the campsite. The controls are inside. The transfer switch is automatic.

So I guess, the tradeoffs will be your decision. Easy to maintain, repair or replace vs. less noise and more convenience.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Plan "B": Get friendly with the folks next to you at the show, and plug into THEIR gen??LOL!
Lol that would work if they had one and large enough to run multiple AC units.

Though I did have a tenter stealing power from my post in a state park. Their site didnt have power and they helped themselves to the power I paid extra for. I kindly asked them to remove their cord or pay me. They choose to unplug lol

Earl
Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Site Team

There are some ballsey ones out there. Unfortunately, my only personal experience with a built in genset was in my '85 class A, and it was an old Generac that ran at 3600 RPM's, and was very annoying...to everyone. Only used it once when park power went out, and really wanted a pot of coffee! I think the newer ones run at 1800 RPM's, and have better mufflers. Good luck with your quest.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. My girlfriend and I are currently researching the Jayco Eagle 293RKDS and may factory order one with genset prep and install an Onan 5500.
I've never been in a trailer with an onboard genset. How much noise and vibration would we expect? We are sick of loading and unloading the genset in the truck bed. Also having to deal with fuel tanks and a battery as well. Also everytime we need to leave, we have to unhook the shore line and remove the genset stack. So we thought an onboard genset would be best.
Most of our genset needed trips are few hours a day. We do have one trip a year that we need to run the genset 16 hours a day including while sleeping. That's mainly why the question on noise and vibration as we will need to run it while sleeping 3 nights in a row once a year.

Thanks,
Earl
My toy hauler had an Onan 5500 which ran both my AC units.My 2016 Eagle we thought one Honda 3000 would be fine, not!Newer camper ac units are 15000 and start watts is 2900.So now we lug two Honda 2000's around.And now can only run one ac.I would get the 5500.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #11

Yes I'd only get the 5.5KW Onan. If we order this trailer, it will also be ordered with dual 15K AC units. On the Eagle the 5500 is as large as you can go and fit in the compartment. According to the Jayco rep.

Earl