Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Pondering purchase of Eagle HT 27.5RLTS, have questions

Hello everyone, newbie here! We are looking at a new 2014 left over model jayco eagle ht 27.5RLTS, and were wanting other owners opinion on the build quality, and user experiences with this line of trailers. After reading some of the issues in the problems area of the forum, I am starting to 2nd guess myself on this trailer. Is Jayco's quality starting to go south?
Diesel Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with the specific model you are considering. It's very likely you will hear from owners of that model.

When you look around in this forum, I think you'll find that most are happy with their Jayco. But, of course, some are not. I'm very excited about the one I have ordered and would not have ordered it if I didn't believe it was the best bang for my buck.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

we just bought a 2015 338 rets and I am very happy with it you might have little things wrong with anything new but overall I liked jayco eagle the best of all I looked at
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with the specific model you are considering. It's very likely you will hear from owners of that model.

When you look around in this forum, I think you'll find that most are happy with their Jayco. But, of course, some are not. I'm very excited about the one I have ordered and would not have ordered it if I didn't believe it was the best bang for my buck.
I know that a lot of people that are happy with there trailer will not show up at forums like this, but it will attract people with problems, to come ask questions for a solution. So it can make things seem a little lopsided.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Mike1 View Post
I know that a lot of people that are happy with there trailer will not show up at forums like this, but it will attract people with problems, to come ask questions for a solution. So it can make things seem a little lopsided.
You nailed it! Also sums up most of the internet, IMHO.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Your going to love that model. We have a 2015 (same model) and yes we have had very minor problems that were quickly taken care of by our dealer.

Welcome
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #7

Is front cap fading still an issue? That would be my only concern. The new 2015's come with the fad resistant creamy white front cap.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #8

We have a 2012 HT 26.5 RLS and it has been a pretty good FW so far. Had a little problem with the wardrobe Schwintek slide out system that took the dealer three tries to fix, but it has worked fine for the three seasons since it got fixed. Our front cap, gray, cracked up by the driver's side running light, but Jayco replaced it with no charge after the first season. I haven't noticed any fading, but these gray colors are the type that won't show fading very soon. Other than that, we are very satisfied with the FW and it tows great. We also put a hitch on and tow our boat to the lake where we go to fish and sightsee for a week at a time. When we bought the FW the information said that attaching a hitch to our FW would void the warranty. However, nothing came of it since we had no claims related to the frame. I think you will like that FW if you give it a chance. Very easy to pull with our GMC 2500HD D/A combo crew cab, which might be a bit of overkill for this trailer.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Is front cap fading still an issue? That would be my only concern. The new 2015's come with the fad resistant creamy white front cap.
Yes. Only with the dark caps though. Not specific to Jayco. All brands with dark caps are having the problem. Jayco is repairing them while under warranty.

I have had several different brands including two different Jaycos. I do believe quality control is going down as is the product but I still believe they are far and away the best out there, especially for the price point. Every brand trailer I have ever had has always had at least one issue when new from the dealer.

We have a HT 29.5 BHDS and love it. I Would get another tomorrow if I were buying another trailer. Only one issue so far. My only complaint about the HT line is the limited fresh water storage. But this floor plan was not offered in a regular Eagle at the time and I can haul fresh water and refill the tank in other ways so it wasn't a deal breaker for us.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
It does have the dark brown front cap. Is everyone with the dark cap had fading issues? I have heard that jayco is not warranting that anymore and considers it normal.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #11

Does anyone know what the floor is constructed of on these ht series trailers?
Old 02-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #12

According to Jayco's website, I believe it's treated tongue and groove plywood about 1/2" thick. But, you can go to the website and click on construction methods and see how they put together and what with.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

Yes it is plywood and not OSB. The floor in mine is solid. The hitch on the back of mine was installed at Jayco and is a class 5 [I think]and is rated for 3000lb.
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Mike1 View Post
It does have the dark brown front cap. Is everyone with the dark cap had fading issues? I have heard that jayco is not warranting that anymore and considers it normal.
Search this forum for threads on the fading cap. Lots of info on here and everyone that I can remember got them repainted by Jayco. Only way around this is to buy a trailer with a light front cap. My Cougar did it worse than any Jayco I've seen.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #15

All brands with grey or dark brown caps are experiencing some fading issues. It's not wide spread by any means. Our SOB has a dark brown cap and is starting to fade. The same SOB brand also makes grey caps and they too are fading. I've read on 4-5 different brand forums about cap fading. That's why I mentioned the 2015 with the new cream colored cap. Even if one is unlucky enough to get some fading it won't show nearly as bad. Fortunately Jayco seems to be taking care of the issue.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #16

We took delivery on ours Jan. 23. Been in the driveway since, but have been doing odds and ends , reloading it with what came out of our JayFeather242. So far, we couldn't be more pleased with the unit, despite finding a few things that probably should have been caught at the factory. I'm sure if I had taken it back to our dealer, they would have fixed it, but I did it myself.
1. The wire feeding the stabilizer jack motor on the rear of the unit was pinched between the jack assembly and frame of the unit. Hadn't shorted out yet, but probably eventually would have.
2. The large slide out motors have a way to manually extend/retract the slides should the motor fail to do so. One of the places where you put on a 5/8 socket was so close to the inside of the frame you couldn't have possibly gotten a socket or wrench on it. Solved that by drilling a hole through the frame so the socket could be put on from the outside of the frame. Then covered it with a metal plate. I think this also got overlooked at the factory.
I just like to know where stuff is if the time ever comes that it has to be used. Probably/hopefully will never have to.

Towing a 5th wheel is a real pleasure, like everyone said it would be. We're looking forward to getting on the road with it in the Spring.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #17

Can't speak about the quality/tow ability of Eagle HT 5ers, as I have an Eagle TT. I've been full-timing in it for 6 months, now, and have had only minor issues - which I took care of myself. Mine does have the dark brown cap, and I've had no fading whatsoever. I recently waxed it for the first time . . . now it really looks nice! There is a couple with another Eagle TT just a few spots away in the park at which I'm wintering. There's is the same year as mine (2013), and also has the dark brown front cap. There's has some serious "chalking" at the top - right where it curves to form the roof. I suggested they try a mildly-abrasive scratch remover to remove the chalking, then give the whole front a good waxing. So far, they haven't followed my advice. Why is there's fading and mine is not? My only thought is that (when available) I always choose a shaded campsite. Maybe they prefer sunny sites. Sun seems to be the culprit causing the problem.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #18

Brownie,

Buffing out the fading gel coat is only temporary. BTDT. I bought an RO sander/polisher and went to the local auto paint supply store and bought some of their best fiberglass restorer finishing compound. Looked great for 2 months, then the fade returned. I've read others doing the same with the same results. Just a pi$$ poor finish from the front cap makers IMO.

What's perplexing about the whole fading thing is, as like you mentioned, yours is not faded but the guy a few sites away is.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #19

Well we just purchased ours today from a dealer in Michigan! I don't know when we will pick it up yet, may wait closer to spring. BTW, its a left over 2014 model, got to good of a deal to pass it up.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #20

Congrats on your new purchase. I bought my Jayco Whitehawk exactly a year ago and even though it has had a couple very small issues they were dealt with promptly by the selling dealer. We just love our TT and with the 2 year warranty I am going into year 2 feeling very good about our purchase.