Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Possibly Lifting 377RLBH

I've been spoiled like never before, had my 5er in one place for 10 months working in Houston. My time here is coming to an end in a few months and have recently put bigger tires on my TV. I was cutting it close on clearance when I pulled it here and the 35's have lifted me enough to be truly worried. I'm going to hitch up tomorrow if time allows to get measurements but wondering if anybody has lifted the 377 seeing as how half the people on here had brake issues, could have lifted it while you were at it.

I rolled under there tonight before the sun went down and it looks like I have a lower hole to mount the leaf springs. Anybody try this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Yes I have done this, I also think several others on here have also. It's a pretty easy job. Did mine while doing the wet bolt and shackle upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
twadd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #3

Thanks twadd10, I'm afraid to axle flip and get TOO high. Did you happen to take measurements before and after?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #4

If memory serves me right, it was about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
twadd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

I did this on my 26.5BHS. I used the last hole. The axles were already under the leaf springs with mine. However, I still had to add blocks between the axles and the leaf springs to add more height.

Carlo
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #6

Thanks guys, I'm anxious to get home and hook up. Fingers crossed I don't have to hassle with the axle flip. I shouldn't need blocks because the flip alone should give me more than enough lift. High center of gravity isn't something I want to have to worry about but I guess I have to take the good with the bad for a better looking stance on the TV!

Old 07-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #7

Possibly Lifting 377RLBH

Hooked up yesterday. My site is high in the back so it shouldn't be as bad on flat road but I'm going to move the leaf springs down anyway, rear jack 4.5" from the ground! 6" clearance on this pad should be roughly 8" on flat road.

How low are everybody else's rear jacks without snap pads on level ground when hooked up?

Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbass1 View Post
Hooked up yesterday. My site is high in the back so it shouldn't be as bad on flat road but I'm going to move the leaf springs down anyway, rear jack 4.5" from the ground! 6" clearance on this pad should be roughly 8" on flat road.

How low are everybody else's rear jacks without snap pads on level ground when hooked up?

I had 6" of clearance on the rear jacks without snap pads. This is why I opted to flip the axles. I thought about dropping the leaf springs but I didn't think it was gong to be enough to make much of a difference.

No issues now with clearance on the rear jacks now. It is tall and I suppose it introduces some potential clearance issues that I'll have to pay attention to, but I think I'm in a better situation as I was dragging those rear jacks pull out of just about any filling station.

Keep on posted on how things turn out when you drop the leaf springs.

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -St. (Mother) Teresa
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #9

How tall is your rig now with the axles flipped? 13'8" is the lowest clearance I've run across so far, if it's lower than that than I'll just go ahead and flip mine as well. Jayco says the '17 377 is 13'2" (158") tall. With a 4" axle we're cutting it close...

I could also drill holes HIGHER than the one the leaf springs are in right now to lower maybe a inch or so.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm anxious to get home and hook up. Fingers crossed I don't have to hassle with the axle flip. I shouldn't need blocks because the flip alone should give me more than enough lift. High center of gravity isn't something I want to have to worry about but I guess I have to take the good with the bad for a better looking stance on the TV!

When you flipped the axles, did you rotate the axles 180 degrees and use the existing perches that were on the axle? You do realize that trailer axles aren't perfectly straight? There's positive camber built into the axle, and by flipping it 180 degrees you will end up with negative camber.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
How tall is your rig now with the axles flipped? 13'8" is the lowest clearance I've run across so far, if it's lower than that than I'll just go ahead and flip mine as well. Jayco says the '17 377 is 13'2" (158") tall. With a 4" axle we're cutting it close...

I could also drill holes HIGHER than the one the leaf springs are in right now to lower maybe a inch or so.

My rear A/C is at 165" or 13'9", so that would have presented an issue in your case. I would have like to have found some middle ground on this issue. When I was discerning all of this I was told about a system call correct-track, I believe. Its purpose is altogether something different, but it has the effect of raising your rig some...I don't remember how much (2-3" I think). That combined with moving the leaf springs might do the trick. Like I said, keep me posted. I definitely solved one problem, but like many times in life, it came at the expense of something else.

Like I said, keep us posted. Sometimes I still wonder if moving the springs and installing the correct-track would have been a better option, but I do that to myself all the time.

I also considered having someone move the rear jacks closer to the axles. Of course, the closer to the tail end of the trailer they are, the more exacerbated the issue becomes. That seems like it might be a lot more trouble, but again I second guess.

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -St. (Mother) Teresa
Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
When you flipped the axles, did you rotate the axles 180 degrees and use the existing perches that were on the axle? You do realize that trailer axles aren't perfectly straight? There's positive camber built into the axle, and by flipping it 180 degrees you will end up with negative camber.

I haven't done anything at all yet, reaching out to fellow Jayco owners for advice/experience. I didn't know any camber was in straight axles at all so that's very informative! Thanks

Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
My rear A/C is at 165" or 13'9", so that would have presented an issue in your case. I would have like to have found some middle ground on this issue. When I was discerning all of this I was told about a system call correct-track, I believe. Its purpose is altogether something different, but it has the effect of raising your rig some...I don't remember how much (2-3" I think). That combined with moving the leaf springs might do the trick.

Like I said, keep us posted. Sometimes I still wonder if moving the springs and installing the correct-track would have been a better option, but I do that to myself all the time.

Awesome! I just watched the video on the LCI website and I'm sold on the correct track. Raises it 2" and I guarantee I'll be overweight. I doubt I'll pay somebody to install it, I've got laser levels and squares to tell me if I'm out in 1/4" increments, since that's what 1 turn does with the system. Only $269 on amazon!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Awesome! I just watched the video on the LCI website and I'm sold on the correct track. Raises it 2" and I guarantee I'll be overweight. I doubt I'll pay somebody to install it, I've got laser levels and squares to tell me if I'm out in 1/4" increments, since that's what 1 turn does with the system. Only $269 on amazon!

Sweet! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #15

I looked into installing CorrectTrack on my rig; contacted LCI about it and they said my frame (with the 2nd set of bolt holes on the hanger) isn't compatible. Might want to double check with LCI before you order. I'm looking at https://www.trailerblocks.com/ now.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erren View Post
I looked into installing CorrectTrack on my rig; contacted LCI about it and they said my frame (with the 2nd set of bolt holes on the hanger) isn't compatible. Might want to double check with LCI before you order. I'm looking at https://www.trailerblocks.com/ now.
That looks like a pretty nice alternative.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
That looks like a pretty nice alternative.
Install looks easier too. I'm still trying to find out if there are any long term effects doing this.

Also, apparently the trailerblocks can be bought made out of cast iron and other materials for much less cost. I found some on etrailer I think. Not sure pros/cons of that option though either.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erren View Post

The installation video on LCI said their frames come with the second set of holes FOR the CorrectTrack. I still have to drill the center hole unless I buy their equaflex system. I'm contemplating just buying some steel plate and a drill bit for $30... essentially that's all it is. As long as you get good center marks the alignment shouldn't be THAT bad.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:49 PM   #19

I have a 2017 North Point 315RLTS. Had it raised before I picked it up from dealer. I'm 13'5" at the top of A/C. My rear jack is closer to the tires probably but around 8" off ground.
[IMG][/IMG]

Also go ahead and put the MorRyde X-Factor cross member on while you are at it.
[IMG][/IMG]

2017 F350 with 20's and 2017 North Point 315RLTS 13'5" at top of A/C.
[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I haven't done anything at all yet, reaching out to fellow Jayco owners for advice/experience. I didn't know any camber was in straight axles at all so that's very informative! Thanks

If you look at the axle from the rear of your TT, you'll notice that the axle arches slightly upwards in the middle. All trailer axles are built this way.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote