Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #21

Thanks BigJohnD,

I'm hoping for a quick and easy fix... Whatever it is... Wood, luan, metal, Aluminum etc, it does appears to be stressing the rubber roof even more now... Need to get Fixed it penetrates roof layer... I'm hoping to get the RV in for repairs when we return from our current trip on April 20th...

Hoping for a clear day on Wednesday to take some progress pics I.e more stress on the rubber
Old 03-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #22

Some put a strip of tape of their choice over the staples, but who knows when they built it. Pretty common to see what AZ posted though. Doesn't make it right. Definitely will be a problem down the road, or could be. On mine, it wasn't the staples, but the end of some of the radius molding sticking up. Wasn't secured so well.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Are we referring to the same aluminum radius molding at the edge? That is in fact aluminum stapled to the roof plywood then the sidewall. TPO roof is then wrapped over that and secured with side molding. Take one apart and you'll see. Almost every manf. uses the same concept.
Here is what this edge looked like after my roof luan was replaced prior to the RV Flex Armor installation.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5762.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #24

I am glad I came across this post. My trailer has been at the dealer since Nov 6. We went there yesterday to see why it is taking so long, thats another story. When we took it there one of the items the dealer was supposed to have done was aroof inspection. I decided to look at the roof myself and I have the same problem. I also noticed what looks like a couple of "screws" that have backed out and are really stressing the roof material. All this after the dealer had completed the roof inspection and said it was good. We pointed this out to the service tech that was working and he said he will talk to our service rep tomorrow sice he didn't know anythig about what was going on. I guess the bottom line is look at it yourself and then point it out to the dealer. Ours is a 2015 fbts.
R&TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #25

Redoing the aluminum mooing on our last rig took way less than a day. We've had screws come up on others in the last too. On the screws, I just made a small slit, removed the screw, coated with construction adhesive, reinstalled, put a small square of eternabond over it and coated with the proguard coating. Wasn't worth pulling the whole roof for 2-3 screws, nor was it worth the fuel money to tow it to a dealer to do the same thing.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #26

I took pictures of my roof and sent them to Jayco. They said this was a aproblem that needs to be repaired. My dealer said that almost all trailers have this issue and it is not a big deal and does not need to be repaired. We brought our trailer home and went for a weekend outing. There happened to be another Jayco dealer nearby. I went there, showed him the pictures and got the same response that it is no big deal and don't worry about it. No repairs needed. Now I am not sure what to do.
R&TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #27

We're new owner of a 2016 north point 377RLBH at delivery I notice the same roof problem described in this post. Any advice or suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0363.jpg   IMG_0364.jpg   IMG_0365.jpg   IMG_0366.jpg  
Fetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #28

Fetz
That does not look good at all. Even AZs unit looked good when he first got it. Mine also looked fine in Nov. I just have some small spots and now what I think is a screw backing out. I am real interested to see what is under the TPO that is lifting like that and why. I looked over my roof real good at my PDI and the only stuff I found was small wrinkles around the vents and a spot by the ladder that needed sealant. Now that it is hotter here in Fl the small lifting spots I have seem to have flattened out some.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #29

No more than what edatlanta posted. Plywood is laid, radius molding goes on over where the roof / sidewall meet and is secured with staples. You see pieces of the molding edge and some staples. A combination of movement, expansion / contraction, and just plain not secured very well causes it. Looks like they never taped the joint either where the molding is stapled. The faster they build them as demand continues to increase, the more shoddy crap you're gonna see.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
No more than what edatlanta posted. Plywood is laid, radius molding goes on over where the roof / sidewall meet and is secured with staples. You see pieces of the molding edge and some staples. A combination of movement, expansion / contraction, and just plain not secured very well causes it. Looks like they never taped the joint either where the molding is stapled. The faster they build them as demand continues to increase, the more shoddy crap you're gonna see.
It obviously isn't a solution to rubber roof issues for everyone due to cost, etc. But rubber roofs will never ever be owned by me again, except for the time it takes to get it from the dealer to a RV Flex Armor installer.

I give absolutely no thought to my roof now except to wash it off occasionally. and caulk? What is that used for? Certainly not on my roof anywhere.

To me any rubber roof is a disaster waiting to happen. Not IF but WHEN.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 AM   #31

To me it would have seemed more logical for the aluminum roll on side to have a 1/8 inch step and actually have tucked under the luan with the step making it even. Then tape the seam and finally put the rubber roof on
Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #32

Update

Hello All,
Our RV is at the dealer (for over a week already) and the factory is waiting on assessment to authorize appropriate repairs.

Unsure of the extent of repairs needed, but as of this point, I'm truly impressed with Jayco's response to our concerns.

Based on Pictures I took just before taking RV to the dealer, the roof did appear to be getting worse and extended full length on both sides with the rubber roof becoming further separated (as shown in Fetz pics below). Not what I would expect from a 6 month old RV!

I'll update the thread once I'm notified of the factories recommended repair action.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #33

Hopefully AZ you can get to see how it was put together with the membrane off and give a report here.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:23 AM   #34

We all will be watching this. What is the outcome on your floor issue? Mine is at another dealer getting cap repair done. Sanded down to primer but all the gouges need to be fixed before repaint. They now estimate about 4K to repair cap and side scrapes

Rock
Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 AM   #35

I'm looking at the pictures here of the roof issues. Mine seems some what different. I do have some pronounced areas and wrinkling. But mostly cupping in that lifting area all the way from rear to front. I did get approval for repair but dealer said he can't do the repair at his facility. Jayco says they need to peel the outer edge up and re secure metal trim. I find it hard to believe that's all it needs to repair this but it's all new to me. So calling Jayco back to see who's going to do the repair.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #36

Looks weird without decals

[ATTACH]1UJCJ0BV6G1RL0184[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #37

I'm curious to find out if Jayco is/has taken care of your problem with the roof? I have the same issue with my 2016 North Point. Picked it up in October and just found the problem after reading your thread. We have been very pleased otherwise and have used the camper several weekends this past winter and spring in northern Michigan.
brianhawley66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #38

Yes, we're schedule for Oct 19-24 in Middleburg. We're taken back to them to repair the problems ( 24 issues ) we just purchase the trailer in end of April. The dealer here (Vancouver Island not have the facilty to repair)/
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #39

Thank you! This is the only problem so far thankfully. I was pretty impressed how it did over the winter. We may end up back to the factory for something this serious. Good luck
brianhawley66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #40

Hello This forum has helped me pick-up on some of the issues. Still keeping a eye on these issues on our trip to the factory and Mexico beach for the winter . So we'll give the unit a really good try-out (10,000 miles plus). All the best