Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #1

Protecting Hitch from Theft and Elements. Bed cover or Tonneau Needed?

I have a Pullrite Superglide in my Ram 2500 bed. I am currently planning to leave it in always because it weighs about 200 lbs and I don't usually need the full bed space for carrying stuff.

Although the hitch would be awkward to steal, I run a long cable lock through the hitch base and through the fifth wheel plate and padlock it to the tiedown hook in the corner of the bed. Not foolproof, but it would at least discourage theft.

I am thinking about a tonneau cover, like the Bakflip MX4, to reduce the likelihood of theft. However, I would rather not spend $1,000 on the tonneau unless there is some other benefit since I have the hitch cable locked already.

Does the hitch need to be protected from the elements, or is regular lubrication all it needs? (I live in Las Vegas, so there isn't much precipitation. Just hot, dry summers.)

If the hitch doesn't need protection from the elements, I'm thinking of saving the $1,000 for the tonneau and just using the current cable lock. Any other opinions?

Thank you
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
I'm thinking of saving the $1,000 for the tonneau and just using the current cable lock. Any other opinions?

Thank you
Cable locks can be defeated in seconds with any number of battery operated tools these days. With that said, do you park your rig in places where someone could go unnoticed as they cut, saw, wrench and steal? The other comment I have is "out of sight, out of mind" and even a vinyl tonneau cover will accomplish that mission. I have a bakflip on my Ford and the lock can be defeated quite easily.

FWIW, if someone wants your hitch, they will get it given the right opportunity.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #3

I pondered this for a while as well. I ended up installing a ceiling hoist in my garage and I just take the hitch in and out of the truck when I need it. When not in use it just sits on a furniture dolly.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
I pondered this for a while as well. I ended up installing a ceiling hoist in my garage and I just take the hitch in and out of the truck when I need it. When not in use it just sits on a furniture dolly.
Pick up one of these and save your back...

Don
Attached Thumbnails
GARAGE - Electric Hoist.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

I also use a furniture dolly for the hitch when it's not in the truck. It's still always in my way but it's easy to relocate to insure it will be in my way next time. I originally used my shop crane to lift it in/out but decided it wasn't really convenient. Since the hitch (B&W) breaks down into 2 pieces easily I just hump it in/out by hand. The tailgate step (fat/old man step) makes it pretty easy to get in and out of the bed.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #6

X2 on the winch and a furniture dolly!
This makes install and removal a one man job.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #7

Thank you for the suggestions above.

Before I can get that ceiling hoist, I need to get a garage that will fit my truck It lives outside right now.

The out of sight, out of mind comment is a good point about the tonneau cover.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
The out of sight, out of mind comment is a good point about the tonneau cover.
I have a vinyl tonneau for this very reason, as well as to keep the hitch out of the weather (live in the northeast). I don't bother to lock it to the truck though.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
I have a vinyl tonneau for this very reason, as well as to keep the hitch out of the weather (live in the northeast). I don't bother to lock it to the truck though.
Same here. A soft vinyl tonneau rolls up nicely, keeps the rain off of our Pullrite, and keeps everything nicely out of sight, and out of mind. Been pulling for many years and have never had a problem with theft, even with a tailgate that doesn't lock. I figure that if someone wants my hitch bad enough that they're willing to take the time to pull all of the pins, and then lug out a couple hundred pounds of steel, then any sort of hard top wouldn't stop them. And if the worse should happen, I carry good insurance.
Itching2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

I built a roll around table the same height as my tailgate. It has a removable plywood top. When I want to remove the hitch, I roll the table up to the truck, slide the plywood top up to the hitch, place the hitch onto the plywood, and slide the plywood onto the table and wheel it away. I have a Bedrug in the truck so the plywood slides easily even with the weight of the hitch on it.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #11

I don't lock my hitch in but I do have a vinyl tonneau cover. The out of sight out of mind theory as well as some weather protection from the winter in Canada.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #12

Seems like I am in the majority ( which never happens). I have the Bakflip G2 cover and love it for the security and weatherproof for I carry other gear in my bed in addition to the pullrite hitch and I use an electric winch to lift it in and out and store it/move it on a furniture dolly.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote