Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

Pulling a 5er with a tundra CrewMax

Just wanted to no if anyone pulls a 5er with a Toyota Tundra CrewMax.
Currently I have a tundra double cab with a pullrite superglide hitch and it pulls my 29.5 BHDS just fine.I did put air bags and E rated tires on the truck.
I just ordered a 2017 tundra TRD pro with the CrewMax cab.im gonna put Bags and E rated tires on it.But the box is only 5'6" so you loose a foot.i did research and pullrite makes a hitch that slides back when turning 22 3/4".so I would have to buy that one.
So my question is does anyone pull with a 5'6" box.and if so what hitch do you have and how is the clearance when turning.
Also I don't toe that often or go that far away from home.
Thanks John.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

I just googled "payload of 2017 tundra TRD CrewMax", the answer was
2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro 5.7L V8 CrewMax/Payload 1,560 lbs"

That means without driver/passengers, fuel, cargo, etc ... you can only load an additional 1560 pounds. How much do you weigh? How about any passengers? Your fuel? And on and on and on. Subtract those weights and you'll arrive at your allowable 5th wheel pin weight (don't forget a hitch has significant weight too).

Bags and stronger tires may make you feel safer but it won't change the facts; to be legal (and safe) you need a tow vehicle with a much greater payload capacity.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

I've run some numbers on a 29.5 BHDS. If the source is correct it says the

Dry Weight is 8,425 lbs. while the
GVWR is 9,950 lbs.

Twenty five percent of those weights (your estimated pin weight) =
2106 - 2487.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Yes I no all the weights.I have been pulling it for two years now with no problems.my concern is turning
Old 06-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

My concern is safety; an unbalanced/overloaded vehicle makes turning (and stopping!) risky - being lucky these prior two years is no guarantee for the future.

Overloading the rear axle means you've unloaded your steering axle (headlights point skyward). Overloading also stresses many mechanical components: wheels, axles, bearings, brakes, tranny, suspension, etc.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
My concern is safety; an unbalanced/overloaded vehicle makes turning (and stopping!) risky - being lucky these prior two years is no guarantee for the future.

Overloading the rear axle means you've unloaded your steering axle (headlights point skyward). Overloading also stresses many mechanical components: wheels, axles, bearings, brakes, tranny, suspension, etc.
This is good advice. I just sold my Tundra Crewmax for a 1 ton chevy. I really loved the Toyota, but everything on it is engineered for that payload and bags and tires do not make up the difference. The wheels, brakes, driveline all come into play. It's not worth the risk to you or your family. On a side note, in an accident your illegal, and if it goes to court, get out the checkbook.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Lol. You are a thousand pounds over payload unloaded (probably over 2k loaded), which is like 75% over your trucks capacity, and you are worried about turning?
Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Lol. You are a thousand pounds over payload unloaded (probably over 2k loaded), which is like 75% over your trucks capacity, and you are worried about turning?

Well it is hard to turn when your front wheels are off the ground!
Old 06-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

I just traded my 2015 Tundra Dbl cab in for a GMC Sierra 2500HD Extra cab. My reason was the feeling the front end on the Tundra when a gust of wind hits you on the side. A little too floaty for me. I've towed my 29.5BHDS to Nashville with the Tundra, and the truck did the job, no doubt about that, but I did sense a floating like sensation, and that was my deciding factor. I used the Tundra on 1 trip this summer, and once that was done, I found the right fit for me. The pin I have is the Reese Revolution. Best thing ever when it comes to a short box. The Crew cab is much shorter, so Id imaging you would need a slider. Good luck with the new truck

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
Old 06-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripleh View Post
Yes I no all the weights.I have been pulling it for two years now with no problems.my concern is turning
I am a Tundra fan and owner.. I also know folks at Toyota corporate and have discussed this. No Tundra is able to handle a 5er. You are WAY over all the ratings for axles, braking etc. It is NOT recommended and if there was ever an accident I would not want to be defending myself in a court of law. Especially since you have acknowledged your aware of all the weights and that you are way past those numbers.

Why not go with a vehicle that will handle the rV you want or purchase an RV that your Tundra can handle ?

Just because you can drag it down the road does not mean it's safe.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #11

Thanks for all the information and the concerns.I do appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 AM   #12

i've got the crewmax and have wanted a 5er ever since we got into the RV lifestyle but can't justify it. Few things I've come to realize:
- as you stated, the Crewmax box is short. That back seat is the best of any half ton out there still, but you pay for it. You'd need a slider hitch, which adds more weight and further eats into your payload.
- the payload is pretty low. All that extra cab space eats up some weight as well. Getting any decent 5er under the limit with room for people, fuel and all the shtuff you can fit into that giant back seat was pretty much a no go for me.
- I love that full back sliding window too much to want to smash the nose of a 5er through it!

I've got a TT that is (just) under the hitch limit for the crewmax (while being lots under the towing capacity). Its not exactly what we want, but its what our current TV will handle. No concerns on power or braking, but I would not go any higher in hitch weight nor get a 5er wth the tundra.

All that being said, its the greatest half ton truck I've ever owned. If I was in the market for another half ton, I'd get another in a heartbeat, no questions asked. My wife and I both feel its unfortunate they don't make a 3/4 or ton model as I'd be in one of those in a second as well. But for now, for us to get a 5er we like, we are going to get a 3/4 or 1 ton SRW to not be worried.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #13

Best thing to do is cancel your order and get the right truck for the job.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #14

That is a scary sight going down the road overloaded with kids in the truck.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #15

I think the man has a death wish. Overloaded with wife and kids in the truck and all because he likes the woefully inadequate Tundra instead of a Silverado 2500HD or a Ford F250, both with towing
packages and 4:10 gears?????

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #16

The OP has the double cab, but ordered the crew cab. The double cab would have slightly more payload. If he has the Limited (or tow package), he'd have bigger springs as well. Not to say he's not currently over the payload, but I believe he's got a better payload than the crewmax would.

Assuming the aforementioned weights for the trailer are correct, I would amend the previous message to say that any half ton is inadequate and he probably needs a 3/4 ton or higher.

As to his original question about turning, even if payload was within spec, i wouldn't do it with the crewmax (with slider). Still a great truck though.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Best thing to do is cancel your order and get the right truck for the job.
X a million!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
That is a scary sight going down the road overloaded with kids in the truck.
To me what is even scarier is how nonchalant the replies seem (to me anyway): "I know all the weights.... twos years no problem..... thanks for the concern....". Maybe I have misread (misinterpreted) them, but it comes across like a complete disregard for the others on the road as well.... Which could very well be one of us!!!

Even though that 5r model line has a "HT" designation, very few of them are actually within a 1500/150 payload. Now if one disregards the actually payload, there may be a couple more that would squeak by under the rar. Another case of misleading marketing just like the truck manufactures 1500/150 "tow ratings".

Heck, the 29.5 BHDS would be pushing the rated payload of my HD, which is 275Xlbs. It would probably be under the rar by a fair amount, but still. That rig is definitely a 2500/250+ model, just like our 32 BHDS.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
......On a side note, in an accident your illegal......
Actually, probably not. Legal weights are governed by commercial trucks and axle loads that our rigs will never get close to. I haven't seen a state law that states it is illegal to exceed manufacturers loads. I'd like to be proven wrong on that!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #19

I would not want to have go defend myself, after admitting in a public forum. That I knew the weight limits of my vehicle and knowingly exceeded them, contributing to a death. While you may not get ticketed for illegal weights a civil court is entirely different. The first thing any I vestigatir would do is search on line for incrimanating statements.

I love my tundra but would not put myself my family or anyone else on the highway in danger because I liked a particular vehicle, which I knew was incapable of safely towing my RV. Very selfish choice.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Actually, probably not. Legal weights are governed by commercial trucks and axle loads that our rigs will never get close to. I haven't seen a state law that states it is illegal to exceed manufacturers loads. I'd like to be proven wrong on that!

Thank you. The only truthful post here.

By no means would I recommend pulling this trailer with a half ton, but for what seems like the 100th time, PAYLOAD RATINGS ARE NOT LEGAL LIMITS. Every state in the union sets limits based on axle ratings ONLY. Only passenger vehicles even have a payload rating, because on a commercial truck that gets upfitted the manufacturer has no idea what the final iteration will weigh.

Live and let live, and please stop passing the notion that towing over payload or over tow rating in a privately owned vehicle is illegal. It is not in the US, period, there is no jurisdiction anywhere that can cite you for it because there is no rule of law to govern it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
Closed Thread