Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

Pulling a 5er with a tundra CrewMax

Just wanted to no if anyone pulls a 5er with a Toyota Tundra CrewMax.
Currently I have a tundra double cab with a pullrite superglide hitch and it pulls my 29.5 BHDS just fine.I did put air bags and E rated tires on the truck.
I just ordered a 2017 tundra TRD pro with the CrewMax cab.im gonna put Bags and E rated tires on it.But the box is only 5'6" so you loose a foot.i did research and pullrite makes a hitch that slides back when turning 22 3/4".so I would have to buy that one.
So my question is does anyone pull with a 5'6" box.and if so what hitch do you have and how is the clearance when turning.
Also I don't toe that often or go that far away from home.
Thanks John.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

I just googled "payload of 2017 tundra TRD CrewMax", the answer was
2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro 5.7L V8 CrewMax/Payload 1,560 lbs"

That means without driver/passengers, fuel, cargo, etc ... you can only load an additional 1560 pounds. How much do you weigh? How about any passengers? Your fuel? And on and on and on. Subtract those weights and you'll arrive at your allowable 5th wheel pin weight (don't forget a hitch has significant weight too).

Bags and stronger tires may make you feel safer but it won't change the facts; to be legal (and safe) you need a tow vehicle with a much greater payload capacity.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

I've run some numbers on a 29.5 BHDS. If the source is correct it says the

Dry Weight is 8,425 lbs. while the
GVWR is 9,950 lbs.

Twenty five percent of those weights (your estimated pin weight) =
2106 - 2487.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Yes I no all the weights.I have been pulling it for two years now with no problems.my concern is turning
Old 06-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #5

My concern is safety; an unbalanced/overloaded vehicle makes turning (and stopping!) risky - being lucky these prior two years is no guarantee for the future.

Overloading the rear axle means you've unloaded your steering axle (headlights point skyward). Overloading also stresses many mechanical components: wheels, axles, bearings, brakes, tranny, suspension, etc.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
My concern is safety; an unbalanced/overloaded vehicle makes turning (and stopping!) risky - being lucky these prior two years is no guarantee for the future.

Overloading the rear axle means you've unloaded your steering axle (headlights point skyward). Overloading also stresses many mechanical components: wheels, axles, bearings, brakes, tranny, suspension, etc.
This is good advice. I just sold my Tundra Crewmax for a 1 ton chevy. I really loved the Toyota, but everything on it is engineered for that payload and bags and tires do not make up the difference. The wheels, brakes, driveline all come into play. It's not worth the risk to you or your family. On a side note, in an accident your illegal, and if it goes to court, get out the checkbook.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Lol. You are a thousand pounds over payload unloaded (probably over 2k loaded), which is like 75% over your trucks capacity, and you are worried about turning?
Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Lol. You are a thousand pounds over payload unloaded (probably over 2k loaded), which is like 75% over your trucks capacity, and you are worried about turning?

Well it is hard to turn when your front wheels are off the ground!
Old 06-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

I just traded my 2015 Tundra Dbl cab in for a GMC Sierra 2500HD Extra cab. My reason was the feeling the front end on the Tundra when a gust of wind hits you on the side. A little too floaty for me. I've towed my 29.5BHDS to Nashville with the Tundra, and the truck did the job, no doubt about that, but I did sense a floating like sensation, and that was my deciding factor. I used the Tundra on 1 trip this summer, and once that was done, I found the right fit for me. The pin I have is the Reese Revolution. Best thing ever when it comes to a short box. The Crew cab is much shorter, so Id imaging you would need a slider. Good luck with the new truck

(Traded 2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab with Timbrens)
Old 06-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripleh View Post
Yes I no all the weights.I have been pulling it for two years now with no problems.my concern is turning
I am a Tundra fan and owner.. I also know folks at Toyota corporate and have discussed this. No Tundra is able to handle a 5er. You are WAY over all the ratings for axles, braking etc. It is NOT recommended and if there was ever an accident I would not want to be defending myself in a court of law. Especially since you have acknowledged your aware of all the weights and that you are way past those numbers.

Why not go with a vehicle that will handle the rV you want or purchase an RV that your Tundra can handle ?

Just because you can drag it down the road does not mean it's safe.

Closed Thread