Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #1

Punch list of fixes after 2nd trip - this normal?

I've read a lot of stories over the last 4 years about buyer issues with new RV's and Trailers so I was prepared for this but on an 80k Toy Hauler, I'm a bit disappointed. Yea, my 2 year warranty will cover this and I'm glad I bought a 6 year extended through Good Sam but is a list this long that normal after the 2nd time using it?

• 6pt leveling system by Lippert is a joke. I was on a flat spot that was barely un-level and it took 2 days to get the 5er level.
  • Entry door latches need adjustment so you don't have to slam the door like a '78 Caddy to get them shut. I tried to adjust the plate but the factory had drilled the first hole in the wrong spot so there wasn't a lot of adjustability, so they can fix it.
  • Bedroom valance fell off on the trip down to SC, a screw pulled out.
  • Oven pilot light does not come on, no matter what you do. I used a lighter to get it lit to get the oven to work.
  • One of the recliners in the couch does not work properly, it's like something is bent or hung up when you try to close it back up.
  • Outside compartment doors for pass through storage - not sure where to begin on this design. They have 2 100lb shocks that after a few uses, destroyed the mental frame on one of the doors. The other door where the water station is you can see it flexing, bending and pulling away from the panel, so now water gets in there.
  • Screws came out (of the few that were even used) in the walls of the water station, so it just flops around.
  • Family room slide out looks like it closes uneven, like the gears are on different areas of the track.
  • Slide out trim around the family room slide out is either warped or coming off.
  • The toilet drips like it doesn't stop flushing.
  • Fridge has a buzzing sound (maybe this is normal?).
  • Fuse box by the entry door has a buzzing sound (maybe this is normal?).
  • Bathroom trim is coming off, popped some nails.
  • Show trim is doing the same thing.
  • Family room slide out trim, doing the same thing.
  • Over kitchen cabinets in roof is the AC intake vent, they put the screws in the wrong spots so the cover doesn't actually clip correctly and looks like crap.
  • Bedroom subfloor in 2 spots moves, so Im assuming isn't screwed down very well.
  • Carpet wasn't pulled tight when installed by the door, bubbles up.
  • You can feel the nails for the carpet at the door threshold in the floor.

The attention to detail and QA for an 80K trailer is a joke, to be brutally honest. That's the part I'm the most disappointed in. I understand this thing goes down the road at 65mph, so things will come lose and what not... but that doesn't mean you can just ignore good American craftsmanship.

I'm about to go out and make a video right now of a walk through with all the issues. So I'll report back so people can see what my feedback is and let me know if I'm crazy or not Then I'm going to send the list and video to the dealership to see how long it will need to be there for them to fix.
Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

Did some of the issues show up on the walkthrough the you and the dealer did when you took delivery?

Think most of those things should have been noticed and fixed when the dealer did his PDI.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #3

All these issues came about on our 2nd trip using it, to Myrtle Beach a few weeks back.
Beach Cart XL
Old 06-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #4

Beach Cart XL
Old 06-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

I'm not surprised. I didn't purchase a toy hauler but a luxury 5th'r. I had 38 items by the time I got it into the dealer (not including what I repaired myself). I would make an appointment and have them document everything and get the paperwork going since it may be a lengthy process from my experience. Then you can take it in when they are ready for it. My selling dealer couldn't handle some of my repairs so I was sent else where by Jayco. Wish I knew about PDI's, but didn't since this was my first new unit. I'm sure you'll get everything fixed in time.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

Time is the problem for me. I have trips planned every 3-4 weeks until October and from what I've read, it's not a quick process. However I understand every dealer is different. Now that I have everything listed out and have had a chance to walk through it a few times now that I'm back home, I'm going to call the dealership on Monday to get them the details and find out how long they'll need it. I don't mind fixing some this stuff, like the loose trim, but I want them to understand all the problems so that it's documented. I don't really mind fixing all the stuff I can fix but it's rather disappointing to spend this much money and have to deal with crappy craftsmanship when it comes to putting a screw in straight or making sure the sub-floor is solid.
Beach Cart XL
Old 06-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #7

The angled screws bug me too. I'm ok with a couple or a few not straight, but to the guys in the floor if they get a couple or a few STRAIGHT they think they did a good job.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #8

Same problems, different manufacture
I feel your pain
Your and my camber was started on a friday afternoon and finished on a Monday. Good camper, poor finish.
I gave up on my dealer, they made things worse I just fixed / upgraded on my own.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk
kirklanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #9

The more reading I've done today, the more I'm just going to fix most of this stuff myself. The only things i really want the dealer to take care of is the jacked up compartment doors, the couch, the step and the loose floor. If they don't want to change out the gas shocks with lighter ones, I'll do that myself. It's a terrible design to use 2 100lb shocks.
Beach Cart XL
Old 06-28-2016, 02:53 AM   #10

Your oven has a pilot light? Ours doesn't. We have to manually light it, or at least so we were told during our PDI.

27.5 RLTS 5th wheel.

-Fratz
Fratzba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratzba View Post
Your oven has a pilot light? Ours doesn't. We have to manually light it, or at least so we were told during our PDI.

27.5 RLTS 5th wheel.

-Fratz
x2 I thought they were all manual light.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrailGarage View Post
  • Family room slide out trim, doing the same thing.
  • You can feel the nails for the carpet at the door threshold in the floor.
My family room slideout trim started doing that during our 3rd trip. Either really crappy staples, or my guess, stapled in wrong location.

For the carpet, I would just take a hammer and flatten them out. We had the same issue on our previous trailer (Keystone). Only a minute or two of pounding, and no more issues.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
x2 I thought they were all manual light.
Our Adco stove has a pilot light. Look in the manual for the stove. It's amazing how much info you can find in owner's manuals.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratzba View Post

27.5 RLTS 5th wheel.

-Fratz
On mine, you manually light the pilot light, but then, if the pilot light is left burning, you don't need to relight each time you want to use it. If you look at your range knobs, their may be one that says push for pilot, which you have to push and hold in while lighting the pilot. Once it's lite and the thermocouple is hot it will stay lite.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #15

On my knob it says to push and hold. After doing that for 4 minutes straight, I called Jayco. They had me call the manufacturer. They said to push and hold for up to a couple minutes, that lights the pilot, and you can turn the knob to the temp.

That didn't work so I got a lighter and did it manually. I don't mind doing that but it's just a little annoying when something doesn't work as intended.
Beach Cart XL
Old 06-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #16

Quote:
On my knob it says to push and hold. After doing that for 4 minutes straight, I called Jayco. They had me call the manufacturer. They said to push and hold for up to a couple minutes, that lights the pilot, and you can turn the knob to the temp.

That didn't work so I got a lighter and did it manually. I don't mind doing that but it's just a little annoying when something doesn't work as intended.
Yeah, that is how ours is.... push and hold to light (manually), then pilot will stay lit as long as you don't turn the oven to Off. Unless you heard clicking (electronic ignition), then it is manual.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:

You have to push and hold, while you manually light the pilot and the thermocouple gets hot. . Once the thermocouple gets hot, it will allow the flow of gas to continue without you holding the knob in. The pilot light will stay lite at this point. Then you can release the knob and turn to ignite the main burner. Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote