Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #1

Question about FW Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS with Ram 2500

Hello all,
New forum member here. Wife and I are ready to purchase a 2016 Eagle HT. Went to the dealer today and they are stating that he doubts that we can tow the FW due to the bed height of my 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 and the height of the front of the trailer being much lower. The trailer has a Reese revolution pin and I was getting a 16K Reese slider. The truck is a 2011 Ram 2500 4WD gas with 4.10 rear. Stock tires and stock heights.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

The wife will be destroyed if we can't get it. . Thanks...
MarlaandScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:10 AM   #2

You basically need to back under and look. Might see if they can flip the axle if it's slung under. Also might see if it has the adjustable spring hangers. The pin box on the trailer might have adjustability too. But yeah back under and measure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:09 AM   #3

Welcome to JOF! What imjustdave said.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #4

I have a 2011 F350 SRW 4x4 diesel with heavier than stock rear springs and we just bought a 2017 29.5BHDS. Your Ram may ride a couple inches higher than my ford but the ford is a tall truck as it is- I expected major problems after everything I read here and actually the trailer rides close to level on my Curt Q16. I didn't have to adjust the pin box or the axles, and I do not have the 16" wheel/tire option. I do have the hitch adjusted down to its lowest setting.

Here's a couple photos for reference:

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

I think the dealer should work with you to solve this problem. They can install Correct Track for a 2" lift, and 16" tires for another 1" to 2", or a sub frame to raise as needed. This is happening a lot, and buyers are left trying to figure out what to do.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #6

Your 2011 has rear leaf springs instead of rear coil springs right? I think the leaf to coil change was 13-14. I believe the leaf spring trucks are a shade shorter than the coil springs.

If your dead set on it, it can be made to work if it won't. I went through the same deal when I got a newer truck. My old f250 was 52" tall. The truck and trailer were perfectly level and I had a shade over 8" of bed clearance. When I started looking at newer trucks, I discovered they're all taller than they were 10 years prior. The Fords were the shortest in general at 56-58" and the GMs and Rams were 58-60". I was going to have to make adjustments no matter what truck I went with....So I got the truck I wanted and figured I'd make the rest work.

First, I put 16" wheel and tires on trailer. That didn't gain me much but I wanted heavier tire options mainly and the inch of lift I got was just an added bonus.

Then, I pulled the factory lift springs out of the back of the truck. They put the springs on the 4x4 trucks to increase height in the rear. They are little short springs (5-6") that took the place of the block they used to use..... between the main leaf pack and the rear axle. That got my truck 1.5" lower in the rear. Just my opinion but it looks so much better without the rear sticking way up in the air empty...and it sets level when towing.

That made a good difference, but It still wasn't level and mainly my clearance at the tailgate wasn't enough. If i adjusted it to get proper clearance, the trailer was way nose high. I was close to doing a subframe lift like others had done.... but didn't want all the work. Instead, I bought 4 more leaf spring packs, took them apart and combined them with the factory springs to build a custom lift leaf spring like Lift companys make for the front of leaf spring vehicles. That got me close enough to perfect.

All that may not be necessary for you. I think the 16s might be a little taller than my 14....And I've seen posted here that the newer ones have extra holes in the spring hangers for more adjustments, but my 14 doesn't.

The lippert correct track is another option if you just need a little lift. I believe 1 member here went that route. Good luck.

Wew, that got long-winded lol.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum MarlaandScott! I hope you get the FW soon. I can't help on the height issues but my fingers are crossed that it is an easy fix.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaandScott View Post
Hello all,
New forum member here. Wife and I are ready to purchase a 2016 Eagle HT. Went to the dealer today and they are stating that he doubts that we can tow the FW due to the bed height of my 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 and the height of the front of the trailer being much lower. The trailer has a Reese revolution pin and I was getting a 16K Reese slider. The truck is a 2011 Ram 2500 4WD gas with 4.10 rear. Stock tires and stock heights.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

The wife will be destroyed if we can't get it. . Thanks...
There are many things that can be done so that it will ride level. Tulsarockstar has a couple threads on here about adding a lift to his 29.5bhds so that it rides level.

But I am curious as to why you are getting a 16k slider hitch when it has the reese revolution on it.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote