Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Question about swivel/rocker chairs

We recently purchased a 2012 Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS and are enjoying it so far. My question is how to secure the two swivel/rockers during travel. There are loops on the bottom back of the chairs and a tie that clips together is also provided. But, there is no place on the floor or the wall to secure it. The dealer didn't know. They said they contacted Jayco and were told both chairs go on top of the sofa during travel (which is impossible). Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

My 5th wheel has a D ring in the Floor between the rockers at the rear of the fiver. I turn them back to back so that the slides will clear and strap them together they are heavy and I have only used the D ring once on a cross country trip. Anymore I just strap them together and forget the D ring. They seem to ride all right and I have had no problems. If I was going over some real bad dirt trails then I would use the D ring, but with a fiver this big that is not likely.
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbell View Post
My 5th wheel has a D ring in the Floor between the rockers at the rear of the fiver. I turn them back to back so that the slides will clear and strap them together they are heavy and I have only used the D ring once on a cross country trip. Anymore I just strap them together and forget the D ring. They seem to ride all right and I have had no problems. If I was going over some real bad dirt trails then I would use the D ring, but with a fiver this big that is not likely.
X2
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRDER View Post
We recently purchased a 2012 Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 RLS and are enjoying it so far. My question is how to secure the two swivel/rockers during travel. There are loops on the bottom back of the chairs and a tie that clips together is also provided. But, there is no place on the floor or the wall to secure it. The dealer didn't know. They said they contacted Jayco and were told both chairs go on top of the sofa during travel (which is impossible). Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.
Nope that is the correct procedure. You put seat bottoms in coach seat and let the backs come down over the front of the couch. There is a strap that goes through the loops on the bottom of the chairs. Tighten it up and pray...

I use straps and secure mine so they don't swivel and then turn them facing the rear wall. Then I put coach cushions to bind one in place and the footstool is used to bind the other in place. Traveled from WV to TX and back and this worked fine.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Site Team

On our 351rlts, we just turn them back to back and run the provided strap around both seat backs.

They have never moved.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #6

We removed one of the chairs from the trailer as not necessary for just the two of us. As for the other, it is very heavy, and the pedestal always remains where it is placed. However, the chair will rock back and forth on the round pedestal, so I just tip the chair on its side, then place a bolt with nut through a hole in the base in such a way as to prevent movement of the chair base on the pedestal. Return the chair to upright position, and it will not move. When we arrive at CG, remove the bolt in the same way, and you have a recliner again. Takes about 30 seconds to do this, and another 30 seconds to remove it. Works great. With two chairs, try doing the same thing to both, and place them out of the way of any slides.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #7

We replaced the original chairs with recliners and we just leave them as is. They have never moved.
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

The chairs that swivel usually need to be tied back to back. Plain rockers and recliners generally don't move if you turn them back to back. The chairs at our table don't seem to move either.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

We have the same set-up with the two swivel chairs in the rear along with free-standing chairs at the dining table, no booth. We don't tie the chairs down, we do have to move the chair closest to the slide over close to the curb-side chair. We just move them and go. So far we have taken the FW to Zion and up to Grand Teton National Parks over some construction and no movement that we can see. There is a strap on the couch that is supposed to secure at least one of the chairs, but we have never used it, it had come loose from the couch when we were going through the trailer before picking it up and we don't have much faith in that system. We do strap the free-standing chairs to the table stand with some cushioning between them for the trip. Takes a couple of minutes, but worth it. We have really liked our FW so far, it tows like a dream and we double-towed with our boat to Grand Teton week before last with no trouble.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #10

I agree with norty1. Back to back and use the strap that was on them from the factory for this purpose. No problems at all and they never move.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #11

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Our 31.5RLTS came with swivel rockers and no straps. The Tech who gave us the walk thru said to just put them back to back up against the stationary table that is between them and they will be fine....... WRONG!!!!
When we got to our first stop on the way home the chairs had both fallen over and put holes in the side walls on each side of the trailer. I was so mad and disappointed until I came up with a fix that works. I put electrical blanking covers over the holes on each side and they are sort of behind the chairs and just look like an access cover. I'd still rather not have the holes of course.

As for transporting them now. I put a pillow over the table between the chairs and lay them down over the table facing down so that the tops of the chair backs are touching each other and I run a bungee from one chairs steel leg to the other. This has worked well for us.

Never knew until this thread what that strap on the couch was for, if only the tech who did our walk through was a bit more knowledgeable about such things.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #12

Chair strapes

I have a 30.5 RLS with the same type of chairs. our couch has two strapes one on either side of the couch. the chairs get tipped onto the couch, so the back of the chair sits on the couch and the front of the chair, that would normally hit your legs as your seated sits in the floor and the base faces away formthe couch. The strape runs through the loops on the bottom of the chairs and attached to the strapes on the couch. Maybe look under the side of the couch on the inside of the cushion for strapes.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #13

Our last fifth wheel and our current both have had recliners. We have never strapped the chairs down using the "D" rings in the floor. What we do is turn them sideways so they are parallel to the length of the trailer with the back of one of the chairs snug against the opened foot rest of the other one. They seem to lock together that way. We then put our lamps in the seats and surround them by the sofa pillows. Nothing has moved or jumped out of place so far. I'm not saying to use the straps but so far we never have and have been using this method for at least three years now.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote