Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
tld

Question about using 2 inch receiver mounted cargo carrier on fifth wheel

My fiver has a 2 inch receiver hitch rated at 300 lbs. I'm thinking about buying a 2 inch receiver mounted cargo carrier to carry my portable generator on. My generator weighs about 110 lbs. I know that there is a lot of bounce at the rear of the trailer, especially when the highway get rough. So, I'm a little concerned about the amount of stress that the cargo carrier would be subjected to. Has anyone had any experience doing something like I'm considering?
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

I needed one to carry my portable propane fireplace and was also concerned about the added weight and stress it'd place on my 5vr; but it needed doing so I gave it the old college try. The rack that appeared strongest (but also heaviest) surprisingly came relatively cheap from a source that I wouldn't have expected.

I've been using this rack - from Walmart - for over a year now. So far all is well.

In my case I relocated the spare tire to the basement but just last week I saw another case where the owners mounted the spare tire below the rack/ oriented parallel. I'm reluctant to add anymore weight than necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
20141123_110353.jpg   20141123_110138.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

I'm planning to add one on my 321 as well. It has the same receiver. Only issue other than weight is bounce. Add one of those anti-rattle devices and you should be fine. I plan to carry firewood, small Honda generator and some extra diesel. Gets the weight off the rear axel of the truck which is my intent. I have a receiver on the front of my pick up and that's where my bike rack can go.
Just keep the total weight under 300 , eliminate the rattle and strap everything down well to get rid of cargo bounce.
I found s great cargo basket from Northern Tool with removable, folding side fences that looks great.

That's the advice I've gotten from a few service guys....
Happy camping!

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

TIP: Centrally locate your heavy items to put the weight in the heavy weight in the center then the lighter to the sides.

Heavy items like a genset need to be strapped down so they do not move which results in additional weight slam which increases the slammed weight due to momentum.

If the mfg says its good for 300 lbs (unless they failed at engineering) you can bet it will handle it + other wise its junk.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote