Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Question Questions from future Eagle 31.5 FBHS owner

Hello all.

We purchased a 2013 unit today and have a few questions for any existing owners, just looking for some advice.

* Is anyone towing this unit with a Ford F-250 short bed diesel crew cab? Do you have air bags in the rear or feel they are not necessary?
* Anyone have any tips on getting more countertop storage in the kitchen area? This is one thing my wife is still struggling with on this unit.
* Does the stovetop come with a solid cover over it or is that a separate option I need to purchase separately?
* I'm struggling with where I put the family bikes on this RV. This unit didn't come with the factory rear rack/tray. Is the rear 4" bumper at all strong enough for one of those receiver hitch clamp adapters or should I get something welded up straight from the frame rails and avoid the 4" bumper all together? Or has anyone had success in just putting a few bikes up in the front bunk area during transport?
* Will a Honda 2000 generator run nearly everything in this unit just fine with the exception of the A/C?
* Where (or is there) is the water filter located for the main sink?
* Anyone have pictures of TV's they have added in the front bunkhouse or the rear master bedroom and what size do you find fits best in each area?
* Has anyone tried purchasing and putting the Jay-Cube style folding cushions on the bottom bunk locations instead of using the standard provided mats? I'm wondering if these would fit in the same area to give a little more cushion and flexibility to the setup in that area.

Wow, more questions than I intended, but if anyone has pointers on any of these I would appreciate it.

BTW: (until they remove the listing) here is the unit we picked up today. http://www.worldwiderv.com/inventory...-31.5FBHS.aspx
We paid $31+tax,title,tags - hopefully I didn't get screwed too much. If I did just don't bother telling me :-)

-Chip
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

I can only address your tow vehicle as we have a31.5 RLTS. We are towing with a 2011 F250 crewcab short bed with the 6.7 diesel. The pin wt. was 2400 lbs. loaded. The truck squats slightly but not excessively. Tows like a dream. You should like the combo. Our fuel mileage has averaged 12 mpg overs all.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Chlinthi
Good looking trailer, all my info is based on my 2011 but but interiors look pretty close. Wish mine had the ceiling fan
Can't help yaw on the tow vehicle, pulling mine with a 2000 3/4 chevy long bed
As far as storage space we to were a little worried about that, but you will get creative as time goes on. The only thing we deal with is the coffee maker but we store it in the cabinet above where the tv goes by the front door.
Our stove came with a cover that folds down over the burners when not in use, you might ask about the cover. It helps out for counter space
As far as the bikes go my trailer came with a slide out under the rear bumper, and I can get three bikes on it with no problem. I always put the extra bike(s) in the trailer, by the front couch. I do use the front for storage while going where ever we go. I did install a four bike rack on the back, attached the the bumper but i am a little nervous about using it. I don't trust the bumper I would look into getting extra support if you do that, It has not come loose yet but I give it a good once over each and every time I use it.
Can't help on the generator don't have one.
The water filter is located between the hose bib and my garden hose, my trailer does not have a built in water filter. 10 bucks at Walmart
With two boys we, always extra kiddos coming along with us so a tv up front was a must. Ours came with a small one tv by the door, I moved it to the front bunk and it fit perfect. Sorry I don't know the size but I would measure the opening and you should not have a problem finding on. I turned around and bought a 32" for the space by the door
Not for sure what the Jayco cubes are, but one thing we do is that raise the bottom mats up against the wall and use this space for storage when going, once there just lay the mats down. I have slept up front and the mats could use more cushion.
One thing I wish we did have was a extra A/C not for sure where you live, but I live in the DFW area of Texas and wright now it is about four degrees cooler then Hell. And one problem is that the front bunk does get warm, no hot during the day I usually put a fan up front and it helps. But again for the most part the kids are not in the trailer during the day so we deal with it. One thing I have done is bought an extra vent, to install up front for the a/c, just have not installed it yet.
Without the cross over space under the trailer I was worried about not having enough storage space, but we have not had a problem yet. This was our first fifth wheel and we have enjoyed it every time so far.
Enjoy,
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01278.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	9298
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01368.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	9299
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #4

* Is anyone towing this unit with a Ford F-250 short bed diesel crew cab? Do you have air bags in the rear or feel they are not necessary?
I tow with a Chevy 2500 Durimax Diesel, no problems.
* Anyone have any tips on getting more countertop storage in the kitchen area? This is one thing my wife is still struggling with on this unit.
This was Kitty's complaint. But the 31.5FBHS has more space that the old RV.
* Does the stovetop come with a solid cover over it or is that a separate option I need to purchase separately?
Mine is a 2012, and the best I can recall, a stovetop cover was not available, but would be great.
* I'm struggling with where I put the family bikes on this RV.
I got the pull out tray. However, I got the Reese Revolution Pen Box, thus I can transport the bikes in the bed of the truck.
* Will a Honda 2000 generator run nearly everything in this unit just fine with the exception of the A/C?
I don't "boondock" so I have no need for a generator
* Where (or is there) is the water filter located for the main sink?
No water filter that I know of. I have one from the hardware store I install between between the RV and faucet.
* Anyone have pictures of TV's they have added in the front bunkhouse or the rear master bedroom and what size do you find fits best in each area?
No picture, Kitty just purchased TV's at Wal-Mart for the bunk and bedroom. The unit came with a TV in the Living room
* Has anyone tried purchasing and putting the Jay-Cube style folding cushions on the bottom bunk locations instead of using the standard provided mats? I'm wondering if these would fit in the same area to give a little more cushion and flexibility to the setup in that area.
Don't know what a Jay-Cube is, so can't help on that one.

All in all, Kitty and I are well satisfied with the Unit. It has more storage than our previous unit. I did install a 2nd AC unit in the Bunk room which is great.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #5

Hey Shorty, I have wondered about another unit up front. Our trailer came with 30 amp service is that what you have or did yours come with 50 amp. I would like to ad another unit but I think I would have to upgrade the service to a 50 amp. Also the second unit you added is it a roof top, and just out of curiosity what size is it.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #6

Texas_T

I installed a 13.500btu roof unit in the vent in the bunkroom. The RV is a 30amp service, and I left it that way. The second ac unit runs on a seperate electrical circuit of its own. When needed, I just run a second electric line from the 20amp plug on the ped. Thus far, it has worked great.

I have a thread on here with pics of the install. Do a search.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback from everyone here - I'll let you know my thoughts after the first few trips.
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote