Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

Rear end dragging on pavement

Does it happen to you guys often that the rear end of the fiver touch the paement when you go up a steep incline ?

I own a 371flfs witch is fairly long and when I went to my mothers place there's a steep incline and the back did touch for about 6 to 8 feet. I knew it would be close so when I made the left turn from the main road and began to clib the hill , I was listening with the window down for grinding noise. Sure enough it did scraped but it was the brackets for the receiver hitch on the back. no damage done on the trailer, but did leave some 1 inch deep scars in the pavement. Any idea how to prevent this ? wood planks is fairly complicated since it is on a major road and there is traffic there.

I was thinking to weld some kind of metal rollers to the frame.
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:26 AM   #2

You can get two swivel rollers and bolt or weld to trailer. I did this on a ttc I had in t he past.
Worked great.
Make sure rollers swivel.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:27 AM   #3

Also buy quality rollers.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:52 AM   #4

I've seen some trailers with rollers and some with skids. Rollers would be better, I would think, to accommodate a turn combined with a climb. Others may chime in here on their thoughts, but I would think bolting the rollers to the frame would be better than welding. If you weld them on and the rollers ever break, you'll have to grind them off to replace them.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #5

I have a steep driveway and my Jayco dragged from the receiver hitch where it connects to the frame too. Caused some serious gouges in my driveway. We eventually realized that the rear tires of the trailer were falling off the edge of the driveway and allowing the tail to drag. Widened the driveway and had them patch the gouged out area. We now missing scraping by about half an inch...!!!

We thought about swivel wheels or rollers too, but those would just hang down even further than the hitch and cause contact sooner and with more weight, potentially damaging the frame.

I wish on these longer trailers Jayco would consider (or offer) wide track axles to keep pin weight manageable and push the rear axle a little further back and limit the amount of overhang behind the rear.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote