Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Rvwench
Rear stabilizers so low on Northpoint 377RLBH

Well, we picked up our rig a week ago Friday, and the first thing we noticed was that the rear stabilizers ride super low when towing, less than a foot above the ground, and even skim or catch when we go off pavement onto dirt. Scary!

In fact, while bringing it home from the dealer, we stopped to grab some burgers, and the door side rear stabilizer caught a regular curb and bent the bracket it's mounted to. We had to spend half a day the next day discounting it and pounding the bracket back as best we could so the jack would lower correctly.

I'm wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for a mod that would let us swing the rear stabilizers up against the belly of the rig, without having to unmount them entirely? We do a lot of boondocks get in areas with bumpy terrain, and we are really worried we'll tear off a jack.

Vicky & John Rowe
North Kakalackie
Old 09-26-2016, 01:50 AM   #2

Your going to have issues with the rear on uneven terrain and yes you have to be careful with transistions as well.

I'm assuming you have the Lippert 6pt autolevel system on yours as I believe it was standard on the Northpoint. Short of have new brackets made and welded on to give you a bit more clearance I don't know how else to approach it. Even with that then your limited on how much stroke the jack has and it's ability to function properly without using blocks.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #3

I'll measure mine, the next time I'm connected (camping next weekend), but I would say that if your rear stabilizers are that low, than you are towing too nose high. How far off level are you when towing?

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #4

We are towing with the nose higher than the tail, but it's as high as it has to be to load on the hitch in our Ram 3500. There is no way to tow lower.

We do have the Lippert 6 stabilizer system.

I was thinking of finding a way to modify the rears to allow us to swing them up parallel to the rig when towing, then swing them back down and bolt them vertical when parking. Inconvenient, but a lot less so than losing a stabilizer to a random curb or bump.

Vicky & John Rowe
North Kakalackie
Old 09-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Are they adjustable or re-locatable?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
You don't want to tow it nose high, you need to adjust hitch as far down as possible, and adjust king pin as high as possible, without giving up the ideal 6 inches of clearance on bedrails and camper. If that doesn't get you there, need to lift trailer. Nose high, equals in even weight distribution and a lot more weight being placed on the rear axle of trailer, not good

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18
Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #7

That is something we're looking into, are there kits available for, for example, a spring over axle conversion? (From my husband, who is the truck expert). Also, we're wondering if that would impact warranty.

Vicky & John Rowe
North Kakalackie
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #8

With the new RAMS, if you use the bed-pucks to install a picture frame, then put the fifth-wheel hitch on the picture frame, you are immediately adding two to three inches to the pin-height, which is near impossible to get back, even wit the hitch in the lowest position....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvwench View Post
That is something we're looking into, are there kits available for, for example, a spring over axle conversion? (From my husband, who is the truck expert). Also, we're wondering if that would impact warranty.
We have the same issue. I'm a little nose high and we have made contact several times just pulling out of the gas station. Took the unit in for a little warranty work and had the dealer contact Jayco about flipping the axles. Jayco referred the dealer to Lippert and said if Lippert was OK with it, they would be too. Lippert told the dealer that flipping the axles would void the warranty on the axles, suspension, and frame.

Lippert suggest installing a kit called Correct Track, which is to address an entirely different problem, but they said it would add 1-2 inches of lift to the unit and would not void the warranty as a result. Seems like and odd suggestions to me, but I'm looking into it.

The dealer was able to raise the jacks very slightly using the adjustments on the jack brackets themselves, but I think that only gives me another inch or so. I also noticed another set of holes in the suspension brackets that looked like they might be there to give you some adjustment. I have the dealer looking into that option as well, but I have not heard back from them.

I just purchased an new truck and as a result, I'm changing my hitch out. Going from the B&W Companion Slider to the Andersen Ultimate. The B&W was adjusted as low as it would go. I believe the Andersen's lowest adjustment is about 1" lower than the B&W. I'm hoping that along with the slight adjustment the dealer made, it will be enough.

Another option is to just flip that axles and hope I don't have any issues with the suspension, axles or frame in the next year and a half. It sure is nerve racking worrying about those low-hanging jacks all the time.

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -St. (Mother) Teresa
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to sjeanmoore Send a message via MSN to sjeanmoore
We just purchased 2017 jayco eagle 27.5. We r towing it with 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD. The rear jacks are very low. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? We have not taken it camping yet. We r worried about the jacks catching on a curb r something else. Thanks
sjeanmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #11

Our rear leveling jacks also sit very low on our 377RLBH, maybe even lower than what you say yours are running. I have my hitch as low as it can go also to bring the back up, but sit dangerously close to the bed sides now as a result. I had an issue backing ours into a spot that had a 3" curb in front of it (was supposed to be a sidewalk, was more like a chock! Dumb idea at this campground...) We had to remove the pads off the bottom of the jacks to give us the extra inch or so, but still bottomed out a little coming over that ledge! It is uncomfortably close to the ground, and like said before, we also worry about hitting something while towing. I honestly think it'd bottom out on the road if we hit a moderately sized pothole!

My RV has been at the dealer for warranty issues more than at the house, and quite honestly, I forgot to mention this one to them. I suppose on my next visit there...

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #12

I'd like to see some pictures of how low these really are.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #13

We are definitely going to have to get them to replace the one bracket that got bent when we bottomed out. The jack seems ok, it does work.

Does anyone have any idea what might be an expected cost to repair/replace the brackets (on the rig, and the one on the stabilizer) on these? I'd really like not to have to buy a set of new stabilizers.

At this point, the only solution I can see is to dismount the rear stabilizers and remove them while traveling, then re-moutn them when we arrive. A pain in the butt, since there are 6 largish bolts on each one, but it beats destroying a jack (or two).

Vicky & John Rowe
North Kakalackie
Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #14

Quote:
We are definitely going to have to get them to replace the one bracket that got bent when we bottomed out. The jack seems ok, it does work.

Does anyone have any idea what might be an expected cost to repair/replace the brackets (on the rig, and the one on the stabilizer) on these? I'd really like not to have to buy a set of new stabilizers.

At this point, the only solution I can see is to dismount the rear stabilizers and remove them while traveling, then re-moutn them when we arrive. A pain in the butt, since there are 6 largish bolts on each one, but it beats destroying a jack (or two).
I would hope the brackets are reasonably priced, though the entire system is an expensive option elsewhere. It was standard on our North Points, but runs in the neighborhood of $3500 as an option in the aftermarket circles.

As for removing the stabilizers, that's too much like work! There has to be an alternative! For the time being, are you removing the pads from the stabilizers? That'll get you a little extra clearance.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I'd like to see some pictures of how low these really are.
I'm heading to the dealer to check on warranty issues Friday. If someone hasn't beaten my to it, I'll get a couple pics and post them with something there for dimensional reference. There might be 7" of clearance, but with a rig 42 feet long, any slope at all at your TV and they start rubbing the ground. I have no idea whatsoever what will happen if/when going over some of the steeper railroad crossings. Its THAT bad!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #16

LOL, it may be work, but it beats replacing the jacks.

We live on a dirt road, and it has a pretty wicked hill in the middle. Coming home with the rig the first time was a bit nerve wracking, but we got in (and back out again a few days later).

But one place we go twice a year has level parking, but the roads in and out are bumpy dirt roads, and we're worried. I'm already lobbying my hubby for us to dismount the stabilizers on the way in and out. It's a pain, but for now, it's what we have.

This is our last trip of the season, so it will give us until February to figure out what to do.

Vicky & John Rowe
North Kakalackie
Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Quote:

We live on a dirt road, and it has a pretty wicked hill in the middle. Coming home with the rig the first time was a bit nerve wracking, but we got in (and back out again a few days later).

But one place we go twice a year has level parking, but the roads in and out are bumpy dirt roads, and we're worried. I'm already lobbying my hubby for us to dismount the stabilizers on the way in and out. It's a pain, but for now, it's what we have.

This is our last trip of the season, so it will give us until February to figure out what to do.
Sounds like Catalochee, an area we like

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18
Old 09-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #18

Quote:

Please keep us informed! I'm very interested in not only your repair, but also what kind of long term solution you can come up with!

Old 09-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #19

It sounds like for your use you should remove the system and replace it with conventional stabilizers. Mounting and dismounting that system on a regular basis would become tiresome very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #20

Jacks

Quote:

Can you measure the clearance from the ground to the plate on your jacks?
Mine are low too, but don't think they are too low.......
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote