Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #21

I have a slightly shorter rig with only the 4 point system so my rears are right behind the rear tires. I just went and looked and I don't think I would be able to have jacks on the rear of my trailer either.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Can you measure the clearance from the ground to the plate on your jacks?
Mine are low too, but don't think they are too low.......
I can't post pictures from here, but I've got about 6.25 inches of clearance on the rear jacks when I'm hooked up and they have made contact on several occasions on the slightest of inclines.

When I'm hooked up, the digital read out on the auto leveling system shows 1.3 degrees of tilt from front to back (nose high). I'm not sure how to convert that into inches, but I know that I'm nose high.

I'm seriously considering just flipping the axles and taking my chances with the warranty on the axles and suspension. It is just too stressful even pulling into a filling station at this point wondering if I'm going to rip the jacks off the back end.

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -St. (Mother) Teresa
Catholic for a reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
I can't post pictures from here, but I've got about 6.25 inches of clearance on the rear jacks when I'm hooked up and they have made contact on several occasions on the slightest of inclines.

When I'm hooked up, the digital read out on the auto leveling system shows 1.3 degrees of tilt from front to back (nose high). I'm not sure how to convert that into inches, but I know that I'm nose high.

I'm seriously considering just flipping the axles and taking my chances with the warranty on the axles and suspension. It is just too stressful even pulling into a filling station at this point wondering if I'm going to rip the jacks off the back end.
Yeah, that's an issue for sure. If you were to want to figure it out the simplest way would be to unhook and set your nose to the 1.3 degrees high. Measure from pin to ground. Level and then measure again and calculate the difference. This would give you some rough idea how far out you are. But even with that the backend isn't going to raise by any order of significant magnitude. Or you could play around with some trig functions on your calculator... and guestimate the length or some triangles and rotation points.

If I were in your situation, I'd flip the axles and take my chances. I've flipped them on my AF and on a WW toy hauler. It never even occurred to me there could be an issue with warranty. Even at that, it would take a fairly astute dealer to determine they were flipped and then be able to prove that caused said unlikely issue. I mean if your fridge goes out or the water heater quits or you have an issue with a roof failure it's a pretty big leap to deny coverage based on an axle flip. In fact, I can't really thing of anything that it would affect.

The positives outweigh the negatives because with those rear stabs so low it's only a matter of time.

It was something that never occurred to me as I only have the 4 point system so my rears are where your mids are. I would be in the exact same situation if I had jacks on the far rear of the trailer. In fact I don't think I could back in my normal spot.

Let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #24

I have a 377 on order and am in the process of ordering a 2017 F-450. I was concerned with the increased height of the new Fords and the pin height of the FW. I plan to install the Curt hitch which has a lower height setting than B&W, 13'' vs 16" from the floor of the truck bed.

But in order to have the FW level when hitched, I also would need to have the FW raised.I sent an email to my dealer to request the installation of Lippert's Correct Track kit which would raise the RV 2 inches.

My dealer called me this morning and said that the 377 has additional holes for mounting the axles/leaf springs lower which would obviously raise the entire FW.

You may want to take a look under your RV and see if you have these extra holes. If not, perhaps you could consider the correct track or even a different FW hitch that would lower the nose of your FW.
SmokinJoe747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #25

The only issue I could see by flipping the axles is the trailer height on low bridges & certain garage doors. She's already pretty tall, so just make sure that wouldn't affect you!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxDude View Post
I have a 377 on order and am in the process of ordering a 2017 F-450. I was concerned with the increased height of the new Fords and the pin height of the FW. I plan to install the Curt hitch which has a lower height setting than B&W, 13'' vs 16" from the floor of the truck bed.

But in order to have the FW level when hitched, I also would need to have the FW raised.I sent an email to my dealer to request the installation of Lippert's Correct Track kit which would raise the RV 2 inches.

My dealer called me this morning and said that the 377 has additional holes for mounting the axles/leaf springs lower which would obviously raise the entire FW.

You may want to take a look under your RV and see if you have these extra holes. If not, perhaps you could consider the correct track or even a different FW hitch that would lower the nose of your FW.
Thanks, DMax.

My dealer did point out that there is some adjustment on the mounting brackets. At best, it looks like it would would give me an inch and a half. Jayco refereed the dealer to Lippert on this whole issue and they recommended the installation of the CorrectTrack system and said it would give me another 2 inches or so. My worry is that after all of that, it still won't be enough. Flipping the axles should give me at least 4 inches of additional clearance, which is more that either or both of those options combined. I figured it might be best just to bite the bullet and flip the axles and if that doesn't get me to where I need to be, I'll still have more clearance than if I did the CorrectTrack and used the adjustment on the mounting brackets. I'd hate to go through all of that and find out I would have to flip the axles anyway.

I'm using the Anderson Ultimate Hitch and setting at the lowest adjustment it is still at 16 3/4" off the bed. It seem that even if I could adjust it down to 13" like the Curt hitch you mentioned, the FW would be very close to the bed rails. It's definitely a balancing act with all the variables in play.

I'll keep you all posted and let you know how it turns out.

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -St. (Mother) Teresa
Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
The only issue I could see by flipping the axles is the trailer height on low bridges & certain garage doors. She's already pretty tall, so just make sure that wouldn't affect you!
That definitely crossed my mind. I guess I am figuring there are fewer of those than there are bumps, potholes, and sloped drives ways (including my own) that are going to give me problems. I'm thinking it will put me somewhere in the neighborhood of 13' 8". Pretty tall!

The other thing is that it will likely render the outdoor cook-top just about useless in most situations. My wife and I are not tall people and frying bacon and eggs was already a bit uncomfortable with the popping grease just inches from my face. Raising it 4" will require me to invest in some stilts or a step stool if I want to fry my eggs outdoors.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
The positives outweigh the negatives because with those rear stabs so low it's only a matter of time.
That's what I'm thinking. I wish the situation were different, but it is what it is and I'm thinking this is probably the best solution. I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to Rvwench
We discovered that we could in fact lower our hitch a couple notches, and that gained us a little height. Not much, but better than it was.

Vicky & John Rowe
North Kakalackie
Old 10-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvwench View Post
We discovered that we could in fact lower our hitch a couple notches, and that gained us a little height. Not much, but better than it was.
I think mine is as low as it can go, and I'm still pretty low on the back levellers! I'm going to bring it up to my dealer next I see them!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #31

I have a 2017 Jayco eagle HT 29.5 dsbh 5thwheel the rear jacks where only 5 in off ground. I went down a driveway looked ok but the rear jack hit and caused the trailer to crease my bed in my pickup since then Jayco changed the rear jacks now I have about 8 inches clearance on rear jacks to ground . Unbeleavable they would sell units like this
Critter357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #32

Big day

Well, we will pick up the 377 today after deciding to go ahead flip the axles. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Also, it'll be the maiden voyage with our new TV and the first outing for the Andersen Ultimate Hich as well. Wish me luck.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter357 View Post
I have a 2017 Jayco eagle HT 29.5 dsbh 5thwheel the rear jacks where only 5 in off ground. I went down a driveway looked ok but the rear jack hit and caused the trailer to crease my bed in my pickup since then Jayco changed the rear jacks now I have about 8 inches clearance on rear jacks to ground . Unbeleavable they would sell units like this
Did they replace with shorter jacks or replace with what you had? If shorter, how much shorter?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic for a reason View Post
Well, we will pick up the 377 today after deciding to go ahead flip the axles. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Also, it'll be the maiden voyage with our new TV and the first outing for the Andersen Ultimate Hich as well. Wish me luck.
What was involved in flipping the axles? I'm contemplating raising the springs a hole on the brackets (actually, have made up my mind to do that), and if that doesn't work, possibly flipping the axles. Not sure why Jayco has these trailers set so low! Beyond the issue with the low rear jacks, I've actually had times my bottom step was nearly resting on the ground on a level pad.

What did your new height of trailer move up to with the axle flip? And what's the clearance on those rear jacks now?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #35

Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
What was involved in flipping the axles? I'm contemplating raising the springs a hole on the brackets (actually, have made up my mind to do that), and if that doesn't work, possibly flipping the axles. Not sure why Jayco has these trailers set so low! Beyond the issue with the low rear jacks, I've actually had times my bottom step was nearly resting on the ground on a level pad.

What did your new height of trailer move up to with the axle flip? And what's the clearance on those rear jacks now?
I haven't measured the overall height yet...it is tall. If I had to guess the overall height increased by 4-5 inches. I'll measure it as soon as I have a chance and get back with you.

In short, I'm very pleased with the result. Camping World charged me a bit over $400 to flip the axels. I've seen the YouTube videos on how to do it yourself, but for me the $400 was well worth having them do it.

The flip, in a nutshell, takes the axels from where they are mounted above the leaf springs and moves them under the leaf springs. A lot of people do it...my Open Range fifth wheel came from the factory with the axels under the springs.

The unit definitely sits higher off the ground, but here's the awesome news...I didn't have a tape measure with me last night, but the rear jacks went from about 6" off the ground to at least 9" off the ground. I was in hog heaven driving home last night. I now have plenty of clearance on those rear jacks. Yes, the unit is taller, but now I can pull into a filling station and not worry that the small incline into the parking lot is going to rip the rear jacks off my unit.

For now, I couldn't be happier.

On a side note, my new TV (3500 Ram w/ Cummins) and the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch performed flawlessly. I think I'm in love with that new hitch.

Hope this helps anyone else considering the axel flip. God bless.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #36

I admire the rigs y'all have and hope to step up one day from what we have now. BUT I can't help but think by stepping up and spending more money or towing a fifth wheel you end up with an entirely different set of problems.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #37

Same sets of problems...just not as many solutions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #38

Am I missing something??

You say you had your axles flipped, the springs were on top of axles and now are UNDER the axles.

Not sure how trailer sits higher now......it should be lower if springs are UNDER the axles shouldn't it?
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Am I missing something??

You say you had your axles flipped, the springs were on top of axles and now are UNDER the axles.

Not sure how trailer sits higher now......it should be lower if springs are UNDER the axles shouldn't it?
To clarify, the axels were previously mounted above the springs...now they're mounted under the springs, which raises the rig a few inches.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #40

[QUOTE=Catholic for a reason;472754]I haven't measured the overall height yet...it is tall. If I had to guess the overall height increased by 4-5 inches. I'll measure it as soon as I have a chance and get back with you.

Have you been able to measure the overall height I would really like to know.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote