Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #101

TexasRT
Have you pulled any distance with your F 250? Just wondering how a 3/4 ton handled and how far it settles on the Pin. I am waiting to see how much my 2006 Ram 4X4 SB, SRW 3500 drops when hooked up. I did not realize they came with different leaf spring set ups from the factory. Mine has top and bottom overload leaf springs, most just have bottom ones. Hope it does not ride like a dump truck when loaded.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
TexasRT
Have you pulled any distance with your F 250? Just wondering how a 3/4 ton handled and how far it settles on the Pin. I am waiting to see how much my 2006 Ram 4X4 SB, SRW 3500 drops when hooked up. I did not realize they came with different leaf spring set ups from the factory. Mine has top and bottom overload leaf springs, most just have bottom ones. Hope it does not ride like a dump truck when loaded.
Rock
Rock
We purchased our coach in Abilene TX, so I pulled it back from there. It was about 320 miles. It did set my truck down some, but the truck pulled it with no issues at all. I plan on installing the Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on my new truck. I had them on my other F250 and they make a HUGE difference in being able to set everything level and the ride quality. As far as the truck, I would not hesitate to pull my FBTS anywhere with my 6.7. On the way back from Abilene we encountered a couple of 7% grade hills and the truck didn't even flinch. It's a beast...

Also if you do a search on here, you should find some really good PDI Checklist to use when the time comes for you.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #103

Good morning, Folks!

Gail and I have a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali with the Duramax/Allison set up. It is a 3500 crew cab short bed SRW in white.

It pulled our previous SOB which was 36 feet 9 inches with no issues what-so-ever. This new FBTS is 4 feet longer and rated at 1600 pounds heavier. So far, it appears to me, the couple times I've had it hooked up, that it is way better balanced at the axles. The truck seems to do less squatting. And, of course pulls equally well if not better than the previous SOB.

Can't wait to hook up and head for FL in the spring in order to compare. Due to the size of this unit, I'm not going to be disappointed if my fuel mileage drops a little. I am positive the truck is going to handle it just fine.
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #104

dalengail,
Since we both have SB trucks do you have a slider hitch and if so how muh of a sharp turn can you make? I just had A Reese Tritan slider installed and measuring from the slide back positon if i use half the width of the FW you cannot do a 90 but maybe u can the way the front cap is designed.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #105

Hello DalenGail,
We have a very similar setup... 2015 GMC 3500 Denali DRW Duramax/Allieson...
It's new but we avg 15mpg from AZ To IN (~1890 miles) pulling a small 4x8 uhaul with all the loot to fill the FBTS...
We now have just over 2500 miles on the GMC and Avg 9.0 mpg with crew set at speed limit or just under if it's a bumpy road... The truck pulls fantastically and with the trailer brake set to 10 and using the diesel exhaust brake and barely use the brakes with no issues coming to smooth stops ... We have experienced some 'chucking' but attribute this to bad road sections with expansion joints... I just slow down and/or adjust the airbags..
I would really like to figure out how to use a weight station to get a god idea of our current weight and distribution... Could anyone throw me a clue here ha...

I figure we are pretty loaded, but still have plenty of room to add more 'stuff' !! We did have a washer/dryer installed which I'm sure adds to our pin weight.

To recap, we are getting 9 mpg pulling a pretty loaded FBTS. I'm told the mileage should get better as the diesel continues to break in....remember we are newbies to 5vrs and to diesels but LOVIN every minute of it!! Our setup time is now at 13 minutes :-) Departing Rochester MN for SD in less than an hour and MT by the weekend... This is great stuff!!
Old 10-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #106

Oh btw we are all in for a rally at some point in the future !!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #107

Rock,

We have the 16,000 lb Reese slider with double pivot plate. It is going on 12 years old, been installed in 3 different trucks. Two of which were short beds. I have never had to use the slider portion of this hitch!!

Lucky? Probably so. But, have never had to make hard 90 degree turns.......yet.

AZ,

You will experience and see better fuel mileage as time goes by. You will find that, that Duramax will run better and better the more miles you put on her.

Pulling our 14,000 lb SOB, I set the cruise at 65 mph and turned on the engine brake and it averaged a smidge over 12 mpg. 12.2 or, 12.4 as I recall. I never use the tow/haul mode on the tranny because, of the higher horse power and torque this truck has compared to the 2005 Silverado did. And, that was going up and down I-65 thru the hills and mountains of Kentucky, Tennessee and, Northern Alabama.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #108

A rally would be nice. Somewhere middle of the country.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #109

bethcb,

I had originally suggested somewhere in southern Colorado in the Rockies. With plenty of notice and preplanning, we'd be up to any where in the center of the country......give or take a state or two.

Thinking mid July?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:08 AM   #110

Hi, Everyone.

Just a thought. Ten years ago, I had the opportunity thru a business trip, to stay at a resort in Minden, NV. It is called Silver City RV Resort. It could make a nice place to meet for several days or a week and is located just south of Reno.

I have told wife that some day, a trip back there is on my bucket list so she could view the Sierra Mountains outside the living room windows. There is a lot of old west history and Lake Tahoe close by.

Perhaps that is too far west but, just an idea. Go to their Web site and check it out.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #111

Hello Everyone,

Almost a week in our new FBTS and pretty much flawless; however, Yesterday was a rough day for us... Our mpg dropped to only about 6-7mpg, I suspect the high winds and roads in MN/SD... We also had periods of chucking again and again attributed it to roads since it was only periodic and on roads with expansion joints but I would think with the mor-ryde and our configuration we should not be experiencing these types of issues????... But being new to 5th wheel and towing, I have not much to compare...

Our first three stops/setups, the ground zero 3.0 performed Perfect, BUT last night we STRUGGLED and never did get a "success".... I even re-hitched 3 times, but mistakenly did not re-position 5vr!! After a few adult beverages to calm the nerves, I pulled out the DVD which in my opinion is worthless!!! Then I downloaded the manual which is slightly better but came to the conclusion it must be operator error/operator ignorance once again... I HOPE... From what I concluded, the front of the RV MUST begin from ABOVE Level and I suspect, based on our current site I would need to have raised the front considerably above the hitch height PRIOR to starting the AUTOLEVEL.... We will see after our next opportunity this evening as we continue our trek westbound

Also, when attempting to watch LCI ground zero DVD, it took about 5 attempts before the Ferron Player would accept the DVD and made a loud clicking noise... It eventually worked (it worked without issue during PDI, we played DVD we had brought with us), but perhaps the Chucking and travels has developed an intermittent issue in the mechanical DVD player.. Bluetooth from our iPhones works Great through stereo!

In Addition, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out I needed to physically light a pilot light in the oven to facilitate using it... haaa ... duhhh ( I would have thought it was electric, but learned otherwise ....)!! Again delaying the Yummy Tilapia my wife made!!

Any tips on how to "BROIL" i.e. make a crunch top on something in the oven? Otherwise it appears a toaster oven will be on the list of necessities...

We continue to learn the idiosyncrasies of the FBTS and RVin' but lovin every minute of it..

We are also very interested in an FBTS Rally... Colorado would be Fantastic! Nevada, East US, West US or Central or wherever... We are all in... I need to learn from all you veteran RVers :-) !!!

Also, If anyone could give me some advice on the occasional chucking or Ground Zero tips, it would truly be appreciated....

Mt Rushmore bound today, we will provides updates as we continue to learn and experience new things..
Old 10-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #112

AZ
Glad to hear all is well. Still waiting for my vin and ship date. All the different sites I have been to all list the same for the level system. Raise front higher after unhooking than drop the four jacks to lowest level to the ground than auto level. Why, who knows it seems more logical to adjust landing gear to level, drop all jack extensions to ground than auto level. What hitch do u have and does it fully lock around the pin? That is another item talked about on other sites. I have seen mentioned the chucking with moride on real bad roads, slop around king pin locking jaws and hitches with no rubber shock bushings. Just passing on what I have read on the different Rv forums since I have zero FW experience.
On my TT rough roads would make the truck really bouncy and wind would drop my mileage like I had a gas engine. Tough to pull a house in wind. My boat was way heavier but way better mileage. Enjoy the rest of your trip
Rock
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #113

I have no issues with where I start my auto level from.. low or high.
There are no leg extensions to drop on the 2016's.(except the front)
I have found the chucking GREATLY reduced if I carry a load of water. The tank in my unit is right behind the axels.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:32 AM   #114

AZ,

How is the trip going? Are you still experiencing a lot of jerking and chucking? Some of that is to be expected due to the nature of the beast.

On both of our previous SOB 5ers, I had the Trail Air pin boxes installed. They did a fantastic job. Especially, the Tri-glide that I had on the Montana. That gave us a sweet ride!

However, if the Morryde turns out to be an issue once we start traveling, I am not beyond having it replaced with the TrailAir Tri-glide.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #115

Thanks DalenGail,
Trip is going great ... Leaning more everyday... Chucking is almost nonexistent now that Have gone to only 10 psi in the airbags... This truck really needs no help in that category ... I had 40 psi causing the back end to be too high... Or so I speculate haaaa I'm new and Experimenting ....

TexasRT did mention about the gas heat turining on when the electric heat was selected .... I can now second that!!! We turned on the electric heat pump i.e. Electric heat and the gas heat is turning on also.. But that was prior to plugin into 50 amp service... Once plugged in and after about 3-5 months gas turned off and electric came on...

Btw torrential rain all last night, 41 degrees and we be dry and cozy :-) but still struggling with the ground zero 3.0...!!!!!

We are still living, learning and LOVIN it!!!! Billings MT bound today :-)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #116

That is great to hear, AZ. There is a lot to learn about RV's. Each one has it's own little idiosyncrasies.

When it comes to ride, it is best to have both the truck and 5th wheel setting as level as possible. Even if it means adjusting hitch hight. In your case, all it took was an adjustment in air bag pressure. If you and the Misses are satisfied that you have a nice smooth ride then, that is all that matters.

Have a great day! I don't think you need to be afraid to ask any questions. There are people here that can help.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_FBTS View Post
Thanks DalenGail,
Trip is going great ... Leaning more everyday... Chucking is almost nonexistent now that Have gone to only 10 psi in the airbags... This truck really needs no help in that category ... I had 40 psi causing the back end to be too high... Or so I speculate haaaa I'm new and Experimenting ....

TexasRT did mention about the gas heat turining on when the electric heat was selected .... I can now second that!!! We turned on the electric heat pump i.e. Electric heat and the gas heat is turning on also.. But that was prior to plugin into 50 amp service... Once plugged in and after about 3-5 months gas turned off and electric came on...

Btw torrential rain all last night, 41 degrees and we be dry and cozy :-) but still struggling with the ground zero 3.0...!!!!!

We are still living, learning and LOVIN it!!!! Billings MT bound today :-)
AZ
We were told the heat pump would take care of the heating until the outside temp got down to around 40ish and then the gas would kick on and take over. I have not personally experienced that, just relaying what we were told. I'm starting to wonder if we're ever going to get below the 70's here in southern Texas. Lol
Glad to hear things are going good for you. Enjoy and be safe.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #118

Here's a little heads-up regarding the Samsung Residential Fridge.
Our ice maker quit working about 3-4 weeks back. At the same time the freezer got even colder than normal (we keep ours at the recommended -2). When I say colder than normal, the ice cream was literally like a piece of concrete. I called Samsung and they issued a warranty repair ticket to a local appliance repair center. On the day the tech was to come out he called first, after explaining the issue with the icemaker he said the heater for the water line had gone bad and he would order the part and reschedule when it came in. Yes there is a heater on the water line. After some scheduling glitches, some on my part and some on theirs he made it out today. I had already prepped the fridge to be pulled out for the repair. He pulls the ice maker out and checks the water tube and it's NOT frozen as suspected. The water line heater is NOT the problem. He then remembers that Samsung just issued a service bulletin about two weeks ago regarding this exact issue. The main control board can get "squirrelly" and effect the freezer temp and the control of the ice maker. The ultimate fix per Samsung is to unplug the fridge for at least 5 minutes (this resets the control board) then plug it in and that fixed the issues.

If you're not familiar with it, the power plug for the fridge and water shut-off valve for the ice maker are behind the drawer under the stove.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #119

AZ
Glad all is well except for the level stuff. Your learning experiences will also be mine so please continue to update. Called Jayco today and my unit went to transportation on the 20th. They were to e mail me back with arrival and vin but I think he screwed up my e mail. It is so nice to call and someone who answers and can give u info and not BS. The guy told me the FBTS is a big hit and that is why they ran into shortages. So I should probably get mine at the end of next week. I am curios if it will show up with the 12 CF propane frig or the new 18 that has been listed since last week on the web site for options. Does 10 PSI in the airbags keep ur truck from settling? Mine has two top and one bottom overload leaf on my 3500 Dodge so I am waiting to see what happens on settling and FW towing level so I have held off on air bags. Thanks for the hitch plate height I dropped mine down one which will be closer. I might of screwed up before my last trip with my TT not knowing I'm was moving up to a FW I put pricey 315 tires on my truck and that raised it two inches. So now if FW is not level after clearance adjustments might have to go back to stock small 265 donnut tires. U guys enjoy I cannot wait for my first adventure. This being ur first RV I can say u were brave to drive out there pick it up and head out on a long trip from home. Most people like me started out small and worked up to bigger or started out locally. U guys keep enjoying and safe travels.
Rock
Old 10-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #120

Rock
I'm a bit confused, why would you not know which fridge will be in your coach? Didn't you get a build sheet from your dealer to sign off on before the order went in. Our dealer sent us a build sheet showing ALL features and options and it had to be signed before the order was placed.