Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Reese Revolution ?

We are ordering a Eagle HT 28.5 and are wondering if we should go with the Reese revolution or a slider hitch. We have a F250 with a 6 3/4' bed. Any experiences, good or bad with either ? Thanks
Capt Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #2

Can't speak to the slider, except that the overwhelming advice is to spend the money to get one that is fully automatic.

As far as the Revolution....
The hitch is conventional, therefore costing much less and weighs much less. I love the fact that mine comes apart and is therefore pretty manageable to get out of the truck when not towing. Note there are a few brands of hitches that specifically state to not use a Revolution.
The Revolution works very, very well. I can't compare, but towing and backing has never been an issue.
The Rev. can pivot a bit so that it is not dead on straight to the trailer when backing in. This can mean making sure you are straight on to the pin box, and not the trailer, when backing in again to hook up. And making sure your truck is not going to contact the fifth as you back in at an angle. Or you "gunch" it to get it all straight before hand.
If not adjusted just right, it can be a pain to have the hitch let go of it. Removing all weight on the hitch, and making sure you are backed fully against the pin helps in getting the hitch jaws open. If it's a continuing issue, an adjustment to how tight the "wedge" part of is helps a lot.
Needing to grease is very minimal, and far less than a conventional hitch/pin. No teflon lube plate needed.
It can be pinned, and the wedge released, and then used as a conventional pin.
Not needing a slider is the big win, so I don't mind the small idiosyncrasies that one learns about to deal with when using it.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Capt Dave

Let me qualify my response. I have never pulled a 5th Wheel with a fixed pin box. When I ordered my 5th Wheel I ordered it with a Reese Revolution as I have a ’07 Duramax 2500HD short bed as a tow vehicle. I had read about the need for a slider with a short bed to avoid cab contact. I didn’t like the total sound of that setup. It seems the weight of the 5er on the truck will be shifting from slightly in front of the rear axle to behind the rear axle on every turn.
Now after saying all that, I would highly recommend the Reese Revolution. I have not had any problems. Connecting takes some getting used to as one has to be closely aligned to the pin box (not the 5er) with your truck to connect. After your “learning curve” it becomes easy. An added benefit of the Revolution is the added space in the truck bed. Unlike a regular pin box which created movement within the tow vehicle bed box, with the Revolution, all movement is approx. 8’’ above the bed box sides. Thus, one can haul taller items in the tow vehicle bed box.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #4

I have a 6.5 ft Bed so I could probably tow with a conventional pinbox and no slider - but I have a Revolution and I'm glad I do - mostly for the increased use of the truck bed. Since the pinbox doesn't rotate - you can pack stuff all around it at any height and not worry about the pin box rotating and crushing something in the bed.

However, the first month I had the Revolution I wouldn't have said that.
When I first brought the rig home from the dealer I couldn't get the hitch to release. The handle just would not move! I raised the rig up, I lowered it down, I pulled forward, I pushed the truck back, nothing worked! The dealer finally sent a service tech to my storage yard and he got it to release.

The solution was to purchase a hitch specific wedge. I have a Reese Titan hitch. The Revolution comes with a "universal" wedge and that just bound up too tightly in the hitch. I purchased a wedge specifically for the Reese Titan hitch and it's been much better.
That said - I still find that I have to park, block the wheels, then pull the truck forward against the hitch to make sure the wedge is not "wedged" into the hitch. Otherwise, I can't get the hitch to release. But if I do it right, it works fine every time.

X2 on being careful hitching up. With a conventional hitch, you can back onto the pin at any angle. But with a Revolution, the truck and the pin box must be aligned. What this means is - you HAVE to be at the same angle you were at when you unhitched.

If you look at the Revolution, you might think you could just take your hands and pivot it around - NOT. It's really stiff. My RV Mechanic did move it once on the lot - using a LONG metal pipe as a leaver and a lot of muscle. You won't do that in a campground. 99.9% of the time it's not a problem, in fact it usually easiest, to back into the hitch exactly the way you unhitched. But you do have to be aware of that.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Hey Capt Dave. I just recently ordered the 27.5 rlts with the Reese.

I was pondering MorRyde vs Reese Revolution because I have the F250 with the short bed and a non-slider. It sounds like the MorRyde would be very nice and comfortable to have, but wanted to be sure I can do 90 degree turns with it. I had a few comments about both solutions, so based on the conversations I chose the Reese. look for "Eagle HT 27.5 rlts with Mor/ryde vs Reese Revolution" here in the forum.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #6

BuddyRay, I will have to check on the "hitch specific wedge" as at times I have a problem getting the hitch to release. At times, not often, I have to block the wheels and have Kitty to get in the truck and "wiggle" the truck as I pull the hitch handle to get the hitch to release.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #7

Thanks for all the information, I was leaning toward the revolution and that's what I went with. Dealer put the order in today and said it has a ruff production date of the first week of March. Thanks again, Dave
Capt Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #8

My 2016 Jayco 29.9BHDS has a revolution and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have a pull-rite super 16K non-slider hitch and it works great. Like others have said, it can be a pain if your not straight trying to hook up but that's the only problem. I put my 4000w generator in the bed and couldn't if I had a normal hitch pin. I can be noisy if you don't lube it a little.
tledwards25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

X2 to pretty much all the above responses. This was my first 5'er so learning to hitch & unhitch was a necessary learning curve whether I got the Reese or not, so I can't say it's easier (or harder) than other types.

What I can say is that practice makes perfect!

Force is offline   Reply With Quote